User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
FiveG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Dirt Schools -- esp. for street riders

I am trying to locate a good dirt school/course for someone (me) who is a street rider who wants to learn some dirt skills. Not for hard core off road, necessarily, but to use when my riding hits dirt or gravel roads, or to carry over some of the techniques you dirt experts use. I've tried the MSF website, but are there any other places I can try? I'm in CT, so a New England/Eastern NY location are my preferences).

Thanks.

(Forgive me if there's already a thread or link -- I looked and didn't find it.)

"Steve Martin," Godzilla (1985)
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,491
http://www.cornerspin.com/main.html
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Not in your neck of the woods, but the BMW ORS in the UK is great for this. They require that you have a road licence and in fact you have to ride on the road to get to the arena where you'll hit the dirt. They take all levels (right up to people who've done the Tuareg, etc.), but the focus is very much on popping road riders' dirt cherries.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
http://www.cornerspin.com/overview.html
Quote:

How is this school different than other schools taught in the dirt?

This school is for all types of riders with the emphasis on how these skills learned on dirt apply to bike control on asphalt (race bike, sport bike, cruiser, motard, dual-sport).

We call it a "Road Racing School Taught On Dirt" because the highest levels of skill to control a sliding a motorcycle on asphalt begin in the dirt. This is why Cornerspin is not a "dirt bike" school.

We are practicing skills to be used in all types of riding but especially road riding and road racing. Our staff of instructors are road racers with dirt skills and flat trackers with road racing skills. We are using flat track and motard riding techniques with drills that apply directly to road riding and road racing. We explain how control in the dirt applies to asphalt control and how you can incorporate these new skills in your riding. Our drills are set up to enhance your overall motorcycle skills no matter what discipline or facet you enjoy. Our facility is set up to simulate many road and track conditions; hairpins, camber changes, elevation changes, fast transitions, decreasing and expanding radius turns; all of these elements combine to challenge even the best riders.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
MTNRiderAB
Information Sponge

Oddometer: 44
our local BMW dealer puts on this course: http://www.blackfootonline.com/euro_bmw_gs_training.php

I'm sure other dealers must offer similar courses?
MTNRiderAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,591
www.americansupercamp.com
Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Not in your neck of the woods, but the BMW ORS in the UK is great for this. .
We don't need your stinkin' Torrie dirt.

We got our own Colonial school right here in Joisey (was featured in AMA Magazine):

http://www.pinebarrensadventures.com/
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
+1 on American Supercamp. I've attended (7 times, so far, but I'm a slow learner!) and learned a ton about control of a bike on less than ideal surfaces - street and dirt.

I've also attended Shane Watts' Dirtwise Acadamy and found it very difficult for a dirt noob. I fell down a lot. But I realized that everybody else was falling down a lot too, they were just falling down at much higher speeds. Then too, the next oldest guy was 49 (I was 63) and I was riding the only dual sport (KLX250) everybody else had "real" dirt bikes, about half the class on two strokes. In spite of all that, and in spite of being beaten pretty much to death, I had a blast and learned a ton!
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
http://stayinsafe.com/program4.php

According to Eric Trow, truly an intro to dirt for the street rider.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #10
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUglyEarly View Post
We don't need your stinkin' Torrie dirt.

We got our own Colonial school right here in Joisey (was featured in AMA Magazine):

http://www.pinebarrensadventures.com/
Thanks for the link to that, I have been looking for a good semi local school for awhile now and have not run across that one.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Thanks for the link to that, I have been looking for a good semi local school for awhile now and have not run across that one.
I was also surprised to read about it. The article had a photo of a guy on a GS, and the pines are one of the only places you can legally ride in NJ, so I figured I had better share the info!
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
FiveG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Thanks all and keep them coming. Just wish I could find something moderately local.

"Steve Martin," Godzilla (1985)
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
+1 on American Supercamp. I've attended (7 times, so far, but I'm a slow learner!) and learned a ton about control of a bike on less than ideal surfaces - street and dirt.

I've also attended Shane Watts' Dirtwise Acadamy and found it very difficult for a dirt noob. I fell down a lot. But I realized that everybody else was falling down a lot too, they were just falling down at much higher speeds. Then too, the next oldest guy was 49 (I was 63) and I was riding the only dual sport (KLX250) everybody else had "real" dirt bikes, about half the class on two strokes. In spite of all that, and in spite of being beaten pretty much to death, I had a blast and learned a ton!
American Supercamp is GREAT to learn bike skills. I attended once, will likely go again, and I am for sure a better rider for doing Supercamp. That said, it is not an "off-road" school per se. Everything they teach you is applicable to riding on the street. They teach you how bikes turn, and how to manage traction. What you will not learn is ruts, whoops, jumps, etc.

Still, very, VERY good 2 days spent on the bike. Lots of fun.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
American Supercamp is GREAT to learn bike skills. I attended once, will likely go again, and I am for sure a better rider for doing Supercamp. That said, it is not an "off-road" school per se. Everything they teach you is applicable to riding on the street. They teach you how bikes turn, and how to manage traction. What you will not learn is ruts, whoops, jumps, etc.

Still, very, VERY good 2 days spent on the bike. Lots of fun.

Barry
Sometimes they do some small jumps and berms but otherwise spot on.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 1,000
There was a farm someplace near the 2011 BMW rally in Bloomsburg PA that was an offroad school IIRC. Maybe someone else might rememeber. My Google-Fu is weak. You may be better off trying to post in the Northeast regional forum.

This is far for you but here is a link

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_6a7f.htm

or this

http://www.adventureridersinternational.com/
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote