Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Roy Phillips OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
2012 Suzuki DL650 Adventure wierd vibration at 4700RPM in all gears.

Has anyone had a wierd 4700RPM strong vibration on a 2012 or 2013 DL650. Happens in all gears. The bike was smooth above and below this RPM. If you hold it there the whole bike sings through footpegs and bars and the engine runs rough. Most annoying as it occurs right at highway cruising speed, right in the middle of the throttle range. Raised the issue with Suzuki customer service in BC, Canada. They tested two other bikes and now say this happens to all vstroms with the Gladius engine and is a "Normal Harmonic" They refused to address the problem as a warranty issue. Furthermore they say that all engines have such harmonic vibrations??? In the middle of the power curve? Anybody out there seen this problem too?
Roy Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
GtiKyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Phillips View Post
Has anyone had a wierd 4700RPM strong vibration on a 2012 or 2013 DL650. Happens in all gears. The bike was smooth above and below this RPM. If you hold it there the whole bike sings through footpegs and bars and the engine runs rough. Most annoying as it occurs right at highway cruising speed, right in the middle of the throttle range. Raised the issue with Suzuki customer service in BC, Canada. They tested two other bikes and now say this happens to all vstroms with the Gladius engine and is a "Normal Harmonic" They refused to address the problem as a warranty issue. Furthermore they say that all engines have such harmonic vibrations??? In the middle of the power curve? Anybody out there seen this problem too?

Checkout stromtroopers. They have SEVERAL threads dedicated to this.

It's the crashbars that are causing this problem.
GtiKyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Roy Phillips OP
Adventurer

wierd 4700RPM vibration

According to the Vancouver island District parts and service Suzuki Rep, This 4700RPM vibration occures with or without the OEM Adventure(SW Motech) crash bars and he assured me he had tested a Gladius as well, which has no crash bars and the vibration occurred there too? So I am at a loss as to what to do next.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
CanadianTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
According to the Vancouver island District parts and service Suzuki Rep, This 4700RPM vibration occures with or without the OEM Adventure(SW Motech) crash bars and he assured me he had tested a Gladius as well, which has no crash bars and the vibration occurred there too? So I am at a loss as to what to do next.
Mine doesn't vibrate at those rpms... inn fact it is as smooth as my previous (2009 Wee) bike...
Old 06-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Keep in mind, it may not be in the service reps (Suzuki) best interest to actually diagnose, that there is actually an issue.
Seems like was suggested speak with like minded individuals who have tackled this problem, and see what the solution was, and whether Suzuki was involved with the fix. At the very least this scenario gives you ammunition.
I also would test ride a different one of same year, and see if the vibes are there, and not rely on someone else's opinion of the vibes.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Every engine does have a certain RPM at which it will vibrate more. Actually any object does. Lots of variables as to when this occurs.

On my '13, I can feel vibes increase around this RPM, but nothing obnoxious at all. I've got aftermarket Givi crashbars, and it did it before and after the install of those. But again, it is nothing obnoxious at all...just a slight increase in the intensity of the engine's sound and vibration level.

If it's bad, I'd loosen and then re-tighten all your engine mounting bolts, and give the whole bike a thorough once-over, checking to make sure all the bolts are tight.

Also, V-twins with dual throttle bodies (actually any multi-cylinder beast with more than one throttle body) must have the throttle bodies synched. Mine were slightly out of synch prior to the 600 mile service (I didn't realize it), the shop synched them, and it did seem to run smoother at all RPMs after the synch. That could be a contributing factor.

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
kyle31
n00b

Oddometer: 2
My 2012 Adventure does this from roughly 4900 to 5k rpm...smooth as butter any other rpm....just don't run in that small rpm range.

to bad I cruse at high way speed right in that range a lot...really does not bother me all that much.
kyle31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Yes, checked. I hadn't noticed it before, but there are increased vibes at those rpm's.

Just change gear and avoid that spot ?, or change to a 16T front sprocket.

It's there on mine as well, but no where near as bad as on my K6. I only noticed the change when I looked for it.

Check the engine mounts if it's really annoying ?.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Roy Phillips OP
Adventurer

2012 Suzuki DL650 Wierd Vibrations

After I escalated the problem at Suzuki Canada, Suzuki had the engine bolts taken off and retorqued. They say the vibration is "reduced 25%." They also found the chain was too tight( that is how it was delivered by Suzuki) and readjusted it. However when I rode it home I now get vibration across the range with another huge shaking around 3000RPM and another around 6000RPM as well as the original 4700RPM. Looks like they made it worse. The Suzuki Vancouver Island district rep reported the vibration is a "normal harmonic" and it is inherent in the design of the bike. I tried to return the bike but their Suzuki Canadian service manager said that "It is not a manufacturing defect, perfectly safe and I will just have to live with it, or sell it to someone else if I am not happy" You would think it is in Suzuki's own interest to investigate the problem. However they do admit there is a vibration at 4700RPM, they just don't want to deal with it.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,192
How many miles on your bike? I noticed vibration at about 5k rpm, when almost brand new, now it's at about 3000 miles and vibration's down to doesn't bother me.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
I feel like this problem is being blown out of proportion, no? i have a 2012 ADV. owned for 2 months and about 3500 miles on it. doesn't bother me. maybe a personal preference?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I think you need to take a look at not just the engine mounts, but all the bolts & bits on the bike. And definitely check to see if the throttle bodies are fully synced, and that the engine is running as it should. If you think about it, the engine is the source of the vibration, and it's going to vibrate everything it's attached to. To me it then makes sense to make sure the engine is running as smoothly as possible. I'm telling ya...on both the Wee and a Guzzi I used to have, they both smoothed out after having the throttle bodies synced. Just my 2 cents.

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack

soldierguy screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 09:02 PM
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Roy Phillips OP
Adventurer

wierd Vibration

Thanks for the many responses. Feedback from various sources reveals much.
1. Givi crash guards seem to have a history here and have broken in a few cases. Bolts have come off. The Oem (Motech or lookalikes?) engine guards appear to be contributing to the vibration problem on the 2012/2013 vstrom based on forum feedback
2. The vibration feels more like an unbalanced engine at 4700RPM.
3. If it was just "harmonics" and just one frequency then it is probably a resonant frequency.
4. North America emission control test at idle and mid range. Ironically this " vibration" occurs at mid range and at highway crusing speed. Perhaps Suzuki leaned out the mixture there?? Two feedbacks say that throttle body synch and or PCIII FI mapping changes have cured their mid range vibration woos.
4. It is not just personal preference or being picky. I have driven more than twenty bikes in my life. I have had 4 Suzuki's, three were WEEstroms. Two I have really enjoyed and the reason I went back for a third. This 2012 adventure vstrom is uniquely bad.
5. The fact that Suzuki Canada Service is doing everything to avoid addressing this tells me that they know about this problem but do not wish to address it. Action to date seems to be covering their backside based on their rep's initial refusal to even look at it.
6. I am really happy that others do not have this problem. The Suzuki Canada service rep and dealer mechanic had told me it was generic to all WEEStroms with or without the adventure gear and in fact to all bikes.
7. Being treated like I am the problem is insulting. I am a professional engineer as well as a 50 year biker and know what resonance, if it is resonance, and or excessive vibration can do to equipment.
8. If I personally try to address the problem I will void the new bike warranty.
9. I bought it just a few weeks ago, it only has 2000 miles on it. I reported it immediately and have been waiting for weeks for action from Suzuki Canada to "address and fix" the problem or take it back.
10: Suzuki Canada and the dealer mechanic admit there is a vibration at 4700RPM but say it is "Safe"

Thanks again for the feedback
Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Roy Phillips OP
Adventurer

wierd Vibration

Thanks for the many responses. Feedback from various sources reveals much.
1. Givi crash guards seem to have a history here and have broken in a few cases. Bolts have come off. The Oem (Motech or lookalikes?) engine guards appear to be contributing to the vibration problem on the 2012/2013 vstrom based on forum feedback
2. The vibration feels more like an unbalanced engine at 4700RPM.
3. If it was just "harmonics" and just one frequency then it is probably a resonant frequency.
4. North America emission control test at idle and mid range. Ironically this " vibration" occurs at mid range and at highway crusing speed. Perhaps Suzuki leaned out the mixture there?? Two feedbacks say that throttle body synch and or PCIII FI mapping changes have cured their mid range vibration woos.
4. It is not just personal preference or being picky. I have driven more than twenty bikes in my life. I have had 4 Suzuki's, three were WEEstroms. Two I have really enjoyed and the reason I went back for a third. This 2012 adventure vstrom is uniquely bad.
5. The fact that Suzuki Canada Service is doing everything to avoid addressing this tells me that they know about this problem but do not wish to address it. Action to date seems to be covering their backside based on their rep's initial refusal to even look at it.
6. I am really happy that others do not have this problem. The Suzuki Canada service rep and dealer mechanic had told me it was generic to all WEEStroms with or without the adventure gear and in fact to all bikes.
7. Being treated like I am the problem is insulting. I am a professional engineer as well as a 50 year biker and know what resonance, if it is resonance, and or excessive vibration can do to equipment.
8. If I personally try to address the problem I will void the new bike warranty.
9. I bought it just a few weeks ago, it only has 2000 miles on it. I reported it immediately and have been waiting for weeks for action from Suzuki Canada to "address and fix" the problem or take it back.
10: Suzuki Canada and the dealer mechanic admit there is a vibration at 4700RPM but say it is "Safe"

Thanks again for the feedback
Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,192
Maybe locate another -12 / -13 Wee from somewhere (a dealer, perhaps) and ride that bike and your bike back to back? If it's a dealer, maybe let them test your bike as well, should be pretty evident, if your bike vibrates substantially more.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote