ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
Roy Phillips OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 16
Wierd vibes follow up

After Suzuki Canada dropped the ball, the dealer stepped up to the mark with me. They had only tested 3 adventure models with the bars previously, all vibrated, so they now test rode a naked Vstrom. No vibes at 4700RPM!!

Yesterday they let me ride a new naked vstrom DL650A. No vibes. So the engine guards/carsh bars do look like the problem.

The dealer remarked that he dinged a bar on the showroom adventure model and it rang. I repeated the test by dinging the bar hard with my fingernail, waited several seconds then touched the bar lightly with the soft part of my finger, it was still vibrating like a tuning fork.

Next steps, we are removing the engine guard crash bar on my bike but have to order in the original mounting bolts for a naked Vstrom. If that works the problem escalates back to Suzuki and SW Motech for a permanent fix on the OEM engine guard.

Feeling so much more positive after yesterday.
Roy Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: California, sometimes the coast, sometimes Tahoe
Oddometer: 452
That's funny...not "hahahaha" type of funny, but odd. My Givi crashbars are rock solid and I noticed no difference in vibes after I installed them, so I'm kinda surprised the Suzuki bars vibrate.

If nothing else, maybe try getting some rubber washers to put between the bars and the bike? It might isolate the bars a bit and reduce vibes.
__________________
soldierguy

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,223
My 2007 wee Strom has a Vibration right at 5800 rpm. Test rode a buddies 2012 strom and he's got a similar vibe at 4800 rpm. For me, 5800 rpm is right at cruise on the highway. I just try to creep up or drop back from it.

YMMV, I agree it's "safe" and more than likely a character of the bike.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
welder
Beastly Adventurer
 
welder's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: paradise
Oddometer: 1,520
just buy a klr 650, ride it every other day and your vstrom will feel as smooth as glass
__________________
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Roy Phillips OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 16
Wierd vibes feeedback

Latest feedback on Stromtroopers and here show these possible fixes.
1. Remove the engine guard/crash bar. Your 4700RPM vibes should depart. Now go back to Suzuki and claim a replacement engine guard/crash bar or add on that works. If you don't use fix 2, then you may opt for frame sliders. I would prefer something like fix 2 myself as you keep the crash bars and it provides better protection for your engine sump and filter on real adventure rides.
2. Install the sump guard which clamps the centre of the crash bar to the frame or engine. That should totally alter the frequency of resonance on the crash bars and take it away from the crusing range altogether. Vibes should depart.
3. Alternatively, install highway pegs that also clamp the centre of the bar to the engine or frame. Vibes should depart. If not clamped your feet weight should dampen the vibes when your feet are on the pegs.
4. Add weight to the crash bar. Check out Givi's latest crash bar for the 2012 adventure bike and you will see a clamp on device there. Don't know it it will fit the Suzuki bar but perhaps Suzuki could come up with something similar as an add on fix for their crash bar.
5. A temporary fix is to install rubber between the clamp in the middle of the crash bar. This should dampen the vibes but they are still connected by the screws metal to metal so I would expect some vibes through the screws. If you apply too much rubber isolation you weaken the strength of the connection at the center if you ever go down as all weight goes on the 2 screws and not through the bar itself to the other side.

Hope this helps.
Roy Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #21
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Gold Coast
Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Phillips View Post
Latest feedback on Stromtroopers and here show these possible fixes.
1. Remove the engine guard/crash bar. Your 4700RPM vibes should depart. Now go back to Suzuki and claim a replacement engine guard/crash bar or add on that works. If you don't use fix 2, then you may opt for frame sliders. I would prefer something like fix 2 myself as you keep the crash bars and it provides better protection for your engine sump and filter on real adventure rides.
2. Install the sump guard which clamps the centre of the crash bar to the frame or engine. That should totally alter the frequency of resonance on the crash bars and take it away from the crusing range altogether. Vibes should depart.
3. Alternatively, install highway pegs that also clamp the centre of the bar to the engine or frame. Vibes should depart. If not clamped your feet weight should dampen the vibes when your feet are on the pegs.
4. Add weight to the crash bar. Check out Givi's latest crash bar for the 2012 adventure bike and you will see a clamp on device there. Don't know it it will fit the Suzuki bar but perhaps Suzuki could come up with something similar as an add on fix for their crash bar.
5. A temporary fix is to install rubber between the clamp in the middle of the crash bar. This should dampen the vibes but they are still connected by the screws metal to metal so I would expect some vibes through the screws. If you apply too much rubber isolation you weaken the strength of the connection at the center if you ever go down as all weight goes on the 2 screws and not through the bar itself to the other side.

Hope this helps.
6. Buy a couple of bicycle triangle frame bags (ebay, roswheel) attach to vibrating crash bars and put your wet weather gear, puncture repair kit or first aid kit in them.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Roy Phillips OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 16
latest on the wierd 4700 RPM vibrations

The 4700RPM vibration problem on my 2012+ Vstrom has been firmly isolated to the Suzuki OEM Accessory Engine guard!!

The dealer and I tested two naked vstroms and got no 4700RPM resonance vibes at all. We followed up yesterday by removing the Adventure model OEM engine guards on my bike and lost the 4700RPM vibes there too.

Next steps is escalating the problem back to Suzuki for a redesign or retrofit for the engine guards.

This highlights a more serious problem, that the manufacturer of the accessory engine guards did not fully test the bars on a real bike, other than fit, before providing them to Suzuki. A simple comparison ride on both a naked Vstrom and the adventure model would have found this resonant vibe problem quickly. Furthermore, and worse, it seems that neither did Suzuki fully quality assure test them on a bike before putting them into production. Even when it was brought to their attention as a warranty claim they ignored it and tried to bury it.

So now all us folks on 2012+ adventure models and those who added them afterwards are stuck with defective engine guards. Resonance is a common problem with all metal fabrication and engineers design around it to make sure it is not happening in the operating range. When metal resonates it causes metal fatigue, broken pipes and attachments, loose bolts all can occur. Here it resonates through the entire motorcycle and could shorten its life. It is not a "Normal Harmonic". It is, however, a "Common Harmonic" to all adventure models and in my opinion not acceptable.

Just removing the guard is not the final solution as we all need the functional protection for our legs and bikes that a guard provides on a fallover or accidental slide. I recommend those of you with this problem and still under warranty, escalate it to Suzuki.

Back to you Suzuki engineers for a better crash guard.
Roy Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
GtiKyle
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GtiKyle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Oddometer: 211
Thanks for sharing Roy.

I've been battling the vibration problems on my bike too, with very disappointing results. Granted my crash bars are from SW Motech, but looking at the design, they're nearly identical to the factory provided bars on the Adventure model. I know i have little recourse with Suzuki, since this is not a factory part, and thus I'm sure the warranty will do nothing to resolve it.

I've tried all combination of "fixes" that others have. Rubber, torques...etc etc. I'm coming to accept my options are:

1. Live with it; be disappointed with a brand new bike.
2. Remove crashbars and be unhappy at the protection i had to give up.
3. Dump more money trying different crash bar combinations (I've heard Givi's can be dwelled, and my friends Altrider set doesn't vibrate like mine).
4. Sell the bike and get something else.

Not to be overly dramatic about it..but the vibration is VERY pronounced at 70mph (5100 RPM for me)...I can't live with it resonating at an RPM i have to be at for long periods of time.

Please update us if you hear or learn anything more about this.
GtiKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #24
NJ-Bill
Life is good
 
NJ-Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: South Jersey
Oddometer: 424
Others, including me, have noted having oem crash bars with no vibration issue. This tells me that those with vibrations need to re-torque their bars. This may not be a one-and-done process. You may need to take off on a ride with a wrench or two and be prepared to make minor adjustments on the fly until the vibrations are gone.
__________________
Cabot Trail Summer 2014
NJ-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
GtiKyle
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GtiKyle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
Others, including me, have noted having oem crash bars with no vibration issue. This tells me that those with vibrations need to re-torque their bars. This may not be a one-and-done process. You may need to take off on a ride with a wrench or two and be prepared to make minor adjustments on the fly until the vibrations are gone.
This is the confusing thing to me, because i've done that...several times. I've probably taken off and retorqued the bars about 15 times, including running the bike in neutral, dwelling at the vibration RPM, and tightening/loosening the bolts. I cannot find the right combination.
GtiKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #26
Roy Phillips OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 16
Discussion on Oem bar vibes

Glad to hear some Gleestroms have no vibes. Based on feedback we get either 4700RPM or 5100/ 5200RPM vibe hits. Re-torguing did not do it for me either. If the mounts were loose you would get more than a vibe you would get a lot of noise. This resonant vibe is so large it shakes the entire engine and frame, that's a lot of weight being thrown around at each end of that crash bar. The Suzuki mecahic told me that Suzuki outsourced the adventure gear to SW Motech. Previous forum contributors have mentioned similar problems with 2012+ OEM, SW Motech and older model Vstroms using GIVI bars. I previously had a 2010 DL650SEA touring model with Givi bars and had no vibes like this. So far I have heard no one complain about Hepco Becker crash bars? Those with sump/ skid plates attached to the engine crash bars appear satisfied as well.
Roy Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #27
Shadowist
FX Artist
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Oddometer: 20
I recently got a 2012 V-Strom 650 last week. So far put 350 miles on her. Prior to installing crash bars/skidplate/center stand (did all three at once), there weren't any vibes. Once installed, there was this loud vibration right around that RPM range. Wasn't shaking the bike and definitely wasn't making the engine run super rough, but there is a clear vibration running through the entire bike (like a previous poster said...akin to a resonant frequency).

However, she's buttery smooth outside that range! Personal preference, but that's definitely not a deal breaker to me :P Just need to make sure the bolts are on pretty snug.
__________________
2003 Suzuki DRZ400S
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Game Developer/Software Engineer...yeah...I'm a bit of a techie
I don't race...but I love to ride. If I survive the day, it was a good ride!
Shadowist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #28
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader
 
RED CAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 2,804
Manufacturers!

Biggest concern for them is safety. The rest is a very low priority. Wish I had something constructive to offer other than I'd be pissed.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #29
NJ-Bill
Life is good
 
NJ-Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: South Jersey
Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiKyle View Post
This is the confusing thing to me, because i've done that...several times. I've probably taken off and retorqued the bars about 15 times, including running the bike in neutral, dwelling at the vibration RPM, and tightening/loosening the bolts. I cannot find the right combination.
This sounds simple to me. If you have Suzuki bars, return them to the dealer and get a replacement set. If you have SW-Motech bars, return them for a refund and buy Suzuki bars. For someone to post that they are disappointed with a brand new bike because their aftermarket bars vibrate makes no sense to me. This was a couple posts above; not the guy quoted.
__________________
Cabot Trail Summer 2014
NJ-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #30
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Wasatch county
Oddometer: 612
Just replace the OEM crash bars with something else. My Hepco Beckers look very similar to the OEMs and don't buzz. Easy. Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014