User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Pete88 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Cherohala Skyway, TN. A question...

I am touring and will be in Northern Georgia and TN shortly. This is a question for our members who have done the Cherohala Skyway and Deal's Gap. I want to do a loop that includes Deal's Gap and Tellico Plains, TN. Is this trip best done clockwise (south on the 129 then west on the Cherohala) or counter clockwise (north on 129 and east on the Cherohala)? Sometimes going the wrong way on a great road is disappointing. Any other tips would be appreciated! Many thanks ..peter
Pete88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
It does not matter,there are great roads all around both ends.There is some construction on the skyway but just a little detour around a slide it may even be done by now.On the north side of 129 you can take the foothills pwy and on the south side take 28

telejojo screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 04:10 AM
telejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
red83gt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
it really doesn't matter which way u go..i prefer to go to Tellico first and take 360 out of Tellico..there are lakes thru there some beautiful lakeside homes,,it runs into 411 turn right for a short 4 lane run to 72,turn rt on 72 and it runs into 129,,i like runnin up the hill that way and then cherahala back to Tellico..the slide is right at the state line,its about 50 to 75 yards of gravel and one lane with a temporary stop lite to let traffic thru..doesn't mess up the trip at all..i was up there 3 weeks ago it might be different now but its open.
red83gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 339
Was up there a few weeks. Ago. Either way is fine.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Pete88 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks Red83 and Telejojo for the tips. I just got back. I was kinda disappointed in the Dragon. Too congested on a Saturday and I never just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. However the Cherohala was incredible. Also the 28 along the Little Tennessee river was really nice.
Pete88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
The "dragon" is way over-rated, slow, congested, slow speed limit. WNC and Eastern TN is packed full of fun roads, 55 mph speed limits and you just need to get on some good maps or even google maps and make yourself up some loops between the major towns and even smaller towns and you will have a blast...take it from a local...stay away from the mobs! I have not been putting much in my day trippin thread lately but check it out ( link in my sig) for some clues if you like. So maybe come back some time and find something few others know about.

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff View Post
The "dragon" is way over-rated, slow, congested, slow speed limit. WNC and Eastern TN is packed full of fun roads, 55 mph speed limits and you just need to get on some good maps or even google maps and make yourself up some loops between the major towns and even smaller towns and you will have a blast...take it from a local...stay away from the mobs! I have not been putting much in my day trippin thread lately but check it out ( link in my sig) for some clues if you like. So maybe come back some time and find something few others know about.
Of course, you're right Aarrff - however - especially at quiet times on week days, the dragon can be a real blast - especially from the tourist perspective. It is a rather unique stretch in that the curves are awesome and what? One side street entrance? SO no real cross traffic. As a tourist, it is also nice to get that one good pic from killboy et al too!

That said, one of my three trips was on a weekend and a real drag. Also, EACH of my trips, Cherohala is / was / shall continue to be my favorite. No cross traffic and higher speeds. Love it.

And as you said, plenty of other great roads out there too.

For the OP, my favorite trip was setting up a tent and spending a full day riding (down into GA too). If you are doing a drive by, I'd start with the dragon, enjoy it - then run Cherohala for a greater level of fun. IMO

Edited - sorry Pete - just read that you already got back.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote