Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
shay OP
reading is hard

Oddometer: 251
350lm not routing correctly

I bought a Garmin 350lm a month ago and used it on a weekend away to Cork / Kerry. I had it set to fastest route but the bloody thing kept sending me down boreens, with grass growing in the middle of the road.

When I returned, I checked the roads it was sending me on and it looks like the gps is choosing shortest route, instead of fastest.

Fastest should always choose good roads, with a minimum of full tarmac! I have emailed Garmin and included screen grabs of where I should have been routed, using Google maps and basecamp, and where I was actually routed. No reply yet and this is frustrating.

I don't spend hours putting in routes, i save places I want to see as waypoints and navigate between them. I trust the gps to keep me on fastest route, if that is what I select.

I have used a 2610 since 2005 so am familiar with a gps and the 2610 was faultless in this basic routing decision making.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, screen shots below of simple example:

shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Sounds like you had your Transportation Mode set to motorcycling. Set it to automobile and that should do the trick for you. Touch the vehicle icon in the upper left of the screen that has Where To and View Map and select automobile.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
shay OP
reading is hard

thanks, I tried that and same result. I reset the gps according to instructions from garmin before doing this and same results.. fastest route keeps sending me down local roads instead of the faster national roads. Looks like garmin's software for the 350lm is bugged.

I tried the same route on a 2610 and a garmin car gps and both select the correct national roads. I've phoned and emailed Garmin but haven't had the warmest of receptions, tbh.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post
thanks, I tried that and same result. I reset the gps according to instructions from garmin before doing this and same results.. fastest route keeps sending me down local roads instead of the faster national roads. Looks like garmin's software for the 350lm is bugged.

I tried the same route on a 2610 and a garmin car gps and both select the correct national roads. I've phoned and emailed Garmin but haven't had the warmest of receptions, tbh.
How are your Avoidances set, under Settings > Navigation? Could you be set up to avoid highways?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
shay OP
reading is hard

no, only avoidance is unpaved roads. I unticked all avoidances and it doesn't make a difference. I've used a 2610 since 2005 and bought the 350 for newer maps and bluetooth connectivity.

Garmin's software, for this gps, isn't grading the roads correctly. Fastest route works correctly on the 2610 and the nuvi car gps.

Thanks for the troubleshooting, it's more than I got from garmin's helpline.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,738
The GPS will only be as smart as the underlying map data.

If the road types and assumed travel speeds calculate that it is the fastest route, that is what it will choose. It will not necessarily choose a paved road where you can travel highway speeds.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

I used to fake out my 2720 by setting my own speeds for different road types. I wonder if that could be done for the 350?

Also, there was a CNNA map update released yesterday. Shay, you might want to see if there is also an update for your area and run that if there is. Could make a difference.

ETA: There is now a v 2.70 350 update that fixes a couple of things. Your routing issue is not mentioned, but who knows what else was in there.

Emoto screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 08:16 AM
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:

It's not just the 350LM. I get the same results with my Montana, all the time, regardless of avoidances setup, on automotive activity.

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
shay OP
reading is hard

it doesn't make sense? A cheap nuvi 1370 will route me down major roads on "fastest route" the (free) google maps app on my iPhone will route me correctly, but a 300+ gps will send me down tiny grass covered lanes.

I'm at war with Garmin support over this, I refuse to accept that this behaviour is intentional. I can't believe that a company which designs gps for a living would have such poor routing options.

If it is intentional, I'm returning the 350 and will use the 2610.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Emoto
Sure, why not?

I don't understand because mine does not exhibit this behavior.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
shay OP
reading is hard

I think Garmin's algorithms for Irish roads are completely incorrect. They see a lane, with grass growing in the middle of it, as the same as a major national route, with this model gps.

I presume they haven't sold too many in Ireland yet so the problem isn't widely reported. Two other gps, basecamp, google maps & google maps on iPhone, can all differentiate between national, minor and local roads and route appropriately.

I will keep emailing until I get an answer from an engineer at Garmin who says it's broken or it's working and tough shit, deal with it.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #12
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,738
Quote:
I'm at war with Garmin support over this, I refuse to accept that this behaviour is intentional. I can't believe that a company which designs gps for a living would have such poor routing options.

If it is intentional, I'm returning the 350 and will use the 2610.
Time = Distance / Speed

So, one of the variables is screwed up. Does the 350LM allow you to set your own speeds for road types? If so, see what they are set at.

And if it's a data problem, that the road types are not precise, then maybe that is something they need to fix with whoever is supplying the map data.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,038
Quote:

What version of City Navigator EU are you using? In BaseCamp, with my older v2012.40, it took two via points to get a route to take Corballis Lower road no matter what the Routing Avoidances were set to.

So, either your map is bad or the zumo 350LM does have a serious routing problem in that area [with how the zumo 350LM is interpreting the map data].

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #14
shay OP
reading is hard

My email was finally escalated and I'm now dealing with someone who will test the routes as I have described. If Garmin's findings are the same as mine, I will be changing the gps to a 660 or similar model but I honestly think their algorithms for Irish roads are incorrect.

My cheapo nuvi 1370 routes me correctly when fastest route is selected, surely a model that cost 3x as much should do the same?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #15
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
My email was finally escalated and I'm now dealing with someone who will test the routes as I have described. If Garmin's findings are the same as mine, I will be changing the gps to a 660 or similar model but I honestly think their algorithms for Irish roads are incorrect.

My cheapo nuvi 1370 routes me correctly when fastest route is selected, surely a model that cost 3x as much should do the same?
Yes, of course it should.

Garmin has a history of releasing products with flaws and then fixing those errors over time (or not). The 350 is their newest moto GPS, so it is unfortunate, but not shocking, that it has its share of issues.

If you have finally gotten to someone with some authority, it sounds like things are going well.