User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
stevie t OP
some dude, somewhere....

Oddometer: 258
Any Bonneville gurus?

So once again, my BDD (bike deficit disorder) got the best of me and I picked up this....

Apparently it used to have a 72 bonneville 650 in it back in the day.
My question is, if I don't find/want the original engine, are there any other options that would 'bolt right in'.

Thanks
stevie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Unit 650 from 1963 til, the end.Or do you mean putting in a lesser mill ?
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
stevie t OP
some dude, somewhere....

So you're saying that any 650 bonnevilles from '63 to the end of the production run will all have the same mounting points?

Not sure what you mean by lesser? Not sure if a V twin will fit in the frame, but in all fairness I have been considering trying to find a crashed TU250 (poor man's bonnie) and see if the motor will fit...just putting out some feelers as to what engine will fit.

Gonna need some frame/wheels/brakes work before the engine anyway.

I honestly don't see riding the beast long or fast, more of a cruise about town, but I have never ridden a hard tail so wtf do I know.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
stevie t OP
some dude, somewhere....

Thx, other than the cc's, any major difference between the two types?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
stevie t OP
some dude, somewhere....

Thanks for the info....
Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie t View Post
So you're saying that any 650 bonnevilles from '63 to the end of the production run will all have the same mounting points?

Not sure what you mean by lesser?
You by the grace of god , have aquired a Triumph .
By no means the most modern of motors, the roots were laid in '38.
Respect what's in your hands.
Sure, a devient could put a single of orriental pursuasion in the frame, and be despised for the act.
The ancestory of what you have deserves to be treated with respect and the only proper motor is a Triumph.
To proceed otherwise would bring shame to you and your childern.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
stevie t OP
some dude, somewhere....

Good thing I don't have any kids, that I know of...I get your point though and I believe I will be going the triumph route. I just wasn't sure of availability up here in the great white north, so I wanted to see if I had any options.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
http://www.britbike.com

Lots of information and suppliers. Good luck.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
+2 on the britbike site above... some really good guys over there & will help & have parts & sources.

on the other hand.... a chopper (and a hard tail at that) is a terrible thing to do to a Brit bike. yer call...

any unit twin will fit the hole ('63 to 1980... 81?) (from memory) (whenever they went bankrupt). they were 650cc & had a 4 speed until 1972 when the 5 speed became standard (apparently some early versions of the 5x were available in small numbers in 71) the first year tranny was weak & suffered some broken gears (don't remember which) fixed in subsequent years. they became a 750 in 1973... but the early ones had a blend of parts... I remember because I had to bore one out to take stock pistons... wtf? in 1976 the gear shift was moved to the left side... all older ones are a right side shifter.

they had decent power, but the best part about these bikes was they were light and handled really well (for the times). a tricked Harley would be competition in the straights, but no match in the twisties

edit.... thems Triumph wheels for sure... looks like wet frame style (1972).... but pre 74 when the front brake went to a disc
71 may have had the Cerreani style sliders.... so, I cant promise 100% but looks like parts from a 71 to 73.

p.s. the fork tubes are not stock... they were pretty common aftermarket in different lengths in the day.... really turned a good bike into crap.... how do I know these things

p.p.s. to answer the main question.... nope, no other engine will bolt right in

Beezer screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 09:20 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

oh yeah, I meant to add that it looks like somebody laced a 16" wheel onto the rear hub too.... that aint natural

and if the term "conical hub" turns up in conversation.... that's what you have
Old 08-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

and even though its a terrible thing to do.... turn a Brit bike into a chopper... its already been done. if you can find a mill it would be kind of a classic in it's own right. you might have trouble finding replacement extended fork tubes.... try Rask. prolly not worth replating those. ask around on the Brit forum... mebby somebody has a spare engine or a core, etc.. btw, the Tiger is the same engine but with one carb & a different manifold.... runs as strong until you are full throttle then the Bonnie has the edge. TR6(x) is another designation. good luck. (been prolly 5 years since I did anything Brit, but these were my go to guys)

my best source when I was heavy on Brit iron
http://www.britcycle.com/

another good source:
http://walridge.com/

2nd rate choice (large stock but some employees don't have a clue)
http://british-only.com/

Rask leans to the chopper side
http://raskcycle.com/

one more thing... in about 68/69 the British motorcycle industry started dumping the Whitworth, BA, and BSF threaded fasteners (again.... from memory) by 1970 they were supposed to be pretty much converted to UNF (seems like it had another name too,,, cant remember) anyway, it's tnhe same as SAE. by '70 pretty much all of the frame stuff was converted for sure, but some of the engine internals were a long time in the switch over. anything older than 69 is prolly all British thread.... meaning wrenches, sockets, taps & dies, etc.... a whole nother tool box for ya

for nuts & bolts & tools, this guy... rocks:
http://www.britishfasteners.com/

Beezer screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 11:50 AM
Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

well........... any activity? buyers remorse? ... tell you what, I got a couple period books on how to overhaul & hot rod the TR6, etc.... yours if you go forward with the project. it also looks to me like the frame never actually had a motor in it.... hard to tell though... what do you think? goddamit, I'm getting drawn back in aint I...
Old 08-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 505
I have a 79 750 Bonneville engine...

Not sure exactly where you are, and how interested you might be. This one came out of a parts bike I bought years ago here in Az. I pulled the cylinders off, other than that, it's about as it came to me. I used parts off that bike on my 79 bonnie, sold it a few years ago. Still have a rolling frame and carbs too, prolly not much else. If you're interested, PM me.

This the bike I ended up building.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsmith View Post
Not sure exactly where you are, and how interested you might be. This one came out of a parts bike I bought years ago here in Az. I pulled the cylinders off, other than that, it's about as it came to me. I used parts off that bike on my 79 bonnie, sold it a few years ago. Still have a rolling frame and carbs too, prolly not much else. If you're interested, PM me.

This the bike I ended up building.

roy
Damn Roy, that's nice.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 505
Thanks, it was a good bike...

Very reliable once I got it back together and properly tuned. I actually sold it because the clutch pull was too strong for my carpel tunnel and I didn't want to have surgery. Tried lighter clutch springs, but by the time my wrist liked them, they would slip under a heavy throttle. Guy I sold it to said he was gonna ride it from Az back to Wisconsin. Dunno if he did. Wrist is fine with the bikes I have now. Lost my ass on it financially, but then that's not new for a ground up rebuild.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote