User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
LarryGS OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Masterclad Cookware ?

Hi, for indoor, gas cooktop, cooking we need a new set of cookware. Our stuff that we got when we got married, Calphalon, has been toast for a good # of it's 21 yrs. My lovely wife has routinely used metal utensils on it and has been known to put it in the dishwasher. The stuff has been abused.
This eve. I was in Costco and there was a Masterclad salesman doing his schtick with his cookware. The stuff looks pretty good. The 7 piece set, plus a coupe of lids, which I think we'd use all of, is $699. Buying any 7 pieces of any decent cookware would be more than that. I'm just wondering if the stuff is any good? The guy hawking it said: use metal utensils, put in dishwasher, abuse it and we'll replace it if the non-stick wears out. No warranty for it looking nasty, but if it stops working we'll replace it.

My plan will be to send the Calphalon back for warranty and sell the replacements, if they give us any, to offset the cost of the Masterclad, if we go that route.
I'd like to know if somebody has dropped the coin on this stuff and how it's worked out. Thanks, Larry
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
unrelated, potentially unhelpful, but in Advrider tradition, here I go:

We had decent costo style cookware for years. It was OK. My wife is a sort of home professional chef - meaning she went to culinary school but then never got a job. She recently dropped some serious coin on some all-clad copper core stuff - stainless on the outside, copper on the inside. You can't kill it and it apparently conducts heat much better. She loves the stuff. She claims that with good cookware you don't need the nonstick stuff and this stuff actually works better. That's all I got.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,292
Same ADVrider traditional response:

I have shied away from "non-stick" surfaces just because they probably aren't healthy as they wear down. A new one to me is that even the new non-stick stuff is easily ruined if let on the higher heat by accident.

Anyway, I switched to cast iron for my skillets a few years ago (great for fighting anemia in the women I guess), but just about 5 minutes before reading this thread I pulled the Amazon.com trigger to get into the modern age of non-poisonous cooking, so I went for Carbon Steel (instead of cast iron).

I bought the 14 1/8" version of this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RWHIJC/..._26725410_item

Read the reviews closely - you may change your mind about what you choose to cook in.

Basically my opinion is that you can go back 100 years, or you can get into the modern stuff Dave.0's wife bought - but one way or another avoid the "non-stick" cookware. Both the old cast iron / steel (when seasoned) cookware, and the new stuff, doesn't need the coatings that flake off.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
LarryGS OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Mambo, I hear you on the cast iron stuff. I have a few La Crueset and Lodge/other cast iron pots and pans, and really like them. My wife can't handle the weight of the stuff. She has wrists the size of twigs and curses the "heavy" cookware. I'll see what the MasterClad stuff is made with. I know the sign at the store said "none of the *)#@* that teflon has, which is unhealthy for you. Our pans have no (%# on them and are completely safe." Well, whatever with their definitive statement.
If there were lightweight cast iron I'd be sold. Thanks.
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,842
That seems super spendy for cookware.
I've found that with big sets like that I end up not using half of it.

If you all have been cooking for any length of time then you know what pans you use and which ones you don't.
If the set has the full suite that you use then get it. If it doesn't then don't

Personally I think many many people have too many pots and pans in there kitchens.
Especially in these days of smaller one pot meals for smaller families.

As for non stick. It has it's place, it's not hazardous unless you overheat it or you scrape it.
But normal pans work just as well for 90% of your cooking.
We buy one thick base restaurant quality 6" and 12" nonstick pan every five to tens years as the finish wears out.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGS View Post
Mambo, I hear you on the cast iron stuff. I have a few La Crueset and Lodge/other cast iron pots and pans, and really like them. My wife can't handle the weight of the stuff. She has wrists the size of twigs and curses the "heavy" cookware. I'll see what the MasterClad stuff is made with. I know the sign at the store said "none of the *)#@* that teflon has, which is unhealthy for you. Our pans have no (%# on them and are completely safe." Well, whatever with their definitive statement.
If there were lightweight cast iron I'd be sold. Thanks.
Good to hear you're aware of the choices!

That is sort of why I'm investigating steel / carbon steel cookware with my latest purchase - I have to imagine this big 14 1/8" steel frying pan will be lighter than a 14 inch cast iron pan. It's because I like cast iron that I'm investigating the raw steel world of cookware. I have to imagine that close to the same seasoning techniques will apply.

I understand your wife's issue with the weight though, and that compromises probably have to be made due to her size. Not sure what to suggest other than thin steel (my preference being to stay away from coated pans, and to also not use aluminum to cook with even though I think that scare might have been proven wrong).
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,746
There's a new ceramic coating that looks interesting, but I haven't used it or know anyone that has. I don't know if it is hype or will actually work. You might look into it.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I never buy a set, some stuff of different styles just works better for me and the set always has stuff I never use.

I have some cast iron lodge stuff, some cast iron La Crueset, some old Magnalite pro stuff from pre walmart days, Calphalon, Scan and a bunch of others. But I find myself using relatively cheap T-Fal non stick more than anything else except on chili. That is either La Crueset, Lodge or Calphalon.

My favorite skillet right now is a T-Fal we paid maybe $20 for. I'll use it 3 or 4 years and toss it and buy another if I need to.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
There's a new ceramic coating that looks interesting, but I haven't used it or know anyone that has. I don't know if it is hype or will actually work. You might look into it.
May be the same I have at work. Green...something. The apple on the label sure is a green one.

Coating is grey and sure has proven tough, been using them 2 pans for a couple years and I did give them hell.I should get new ones and again read the riot act to the ones washing them as to exactly which scrubby to use.....white NOT green but if just NOT TO listen to the boss complaining about the price ($60.00 ea.) I think I'll keep using and Pamming them.

Back to work next week....she may not be around,, if the relief boss is there he'll buy me new ones. Good for another 2 years, that is passed my planned retirement.I may just take one home as a souvenir.....
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,842
I got some green marketed new nonstick coated pan.

Well, I followed the instructions. It sticks worse than the stainless pan on high heat with butter.

Cuisineart brand.

Ground the rivets holding the handle on and now it catches oil under a bike.
Even the oil sticks to the pan.

squish screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 10:49 PM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I got some green marketed new nonstick coated pan.

Well followe the instructions. It sticks worse than the stainless pan on high heat with now butter.

Cuisineart brand.

Ground the rivets holding the handle on and now it catches oil under a bike.
Even the oil sticks to the pan.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGS View Post
Hi, for indoor, gas cooktop, cooking we need a new set of cookware. Our stuff that we got when we got married, Calphalon, has been toast for a good # of it's 21 yrs. My lovely wife has routinely used metal utensils on it and has been known to put it in the dishwasher. The stuff has been abused.
This eve. I was in Costco and there was a Masterclad salesman doing his schtick with his cookware. The stuff looks pretty good. The 7 piece set, plus a coupe of lids, which I think we'd use all of, is $699. Buying any 7 pieces of any decent cookware would be more than that. I'm just wondering if the stuff is any good? The guy hawking it said: use metal utensils, put in dishwasher, abuse it and we'll replace it if the non-stick wears out. No warranty for it looking nasty, but if it stops working we'll replace it.

My plan will be to send the Calphalon back for warranty and sell the replacements, if they give us any, to offset the cost of the Masterclad, if we go that route.
I'd like to know if somebody has dropped the coin on this stuff and how it's worked out. Thanks, Larry

If *all* their products feature non-stick coatings, then their "pro quality" claim is paired up with a decidedly consumer feature set, since the obvious priority here isn't on temperature range...it's on convenience. The fact is, nonstick coatings don't fair well in the temp range that'd do nice browning and crusting, and fond development. From a consumer perspective, that's a compelling blend of characteristics, though, if you give a rat's ass about the details. Just make sure the base is fairly thick for heat dispersion, and that the rivits aren't cheap. The metal handles are nice, so you can throw it in the oven. But if your'e picky about what you can do with your stuff, you'll find it either limiting, or you'll put the pan's coating to an early retirement.

I do like the warranty, though. I always go for warrantied nonstick pans, because non nonstick coating that I'm aware of lasts forever ('cept carbon). For eggs in the morning, the nonstick is still a staple.

Of course...nothign beats copper for fast even response. That copper core stuff is pretty nice. I've a couple myself, and they are my go-to cookware...particularly for saucepans. But if you think the masterclad things are pricey, try pricing out a set of copper-cores. it gets nuts. And they are heeeaaaavvyyy.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,318
The single most important thing in cookware is that it delivers heat evenly to all parts of the cooking surface. Otherwise, you risk scorching.

Thin, lightweight pans tend to do this very poorly. I would avoid them.

Copper-bottom pans are great at conducting heat. But they're crazy expensive. All Clad, Viking and, I'm sure, others use an aluminum core (which conducts the heat) and wrap it in easy-to-clean stainless steel (which is not a great conductor.)

That's a pretty good combo for saute pans, because the cleaning is so easy.

For pots, I find I use a very cheap aluminum pot a lot, with no problems. Cost a handful of bucks at a restaurant supply store. Since I mostly use it with liquid, I'm not too worried about scorching. A nylon scrub pad cleans it after an overnight soaking.

You can get inexpensive aluminum saute pans at those same supply stores. When I worked in restaurants, that's the kind of pan I usually saw.

The only catch with an aluminum cooking surface is that it doesn't react well to acids like tomatoes, so you might want a pricer, stainless steel clad tomato pan and pot as well.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,318
ps I do use cheap, thin non-stick pans for eggs. They're fine. And at $17 each, easy to replace when the non-stcik wears down.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #15
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,372
Cooks Magazine always has good recommendations for pots and pans. We have a combination of 30 year old Revere ware, 10 year old Calophon, and new AllClad. Also have a few antique cast iron pans that I bought at a junk store and cleaned up. I'm liking the AllClad a lot, with the stainless outer and copper inner it appears to be very durable.

Get a copy of Cooks and see what they say.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: