User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
CA camping trailer reg?

Hi all. So I'm wondering if anybody has any idea about CA trailer regestering?

So the ranch has this old 50s-60s terry 14ft camping trailer, its been sitting for a long time, and they says I can take it for free. Its certinly not in pristine condition, but its not beyond repair I don't think. I'm sure theres rats or mice I'll need to deal with, as the doors been proped open for a long time. But suprisingly despite the door being a couple inches open it didn't look like theres any water damage.

It will need a lot of work, but for free if the frames good and such, it may be worth it. I don't need to make it beutiful, I don't care if it has a working bathroom, or really even appliances, I just want it to be able to sleep in and put a little tv and window AC unit thru the wall in it, for camping at hollister hills riding dirtbikes and stuff. Eventually I'm saving up for a big 5th wheel, but for right now I thought this might be ok.

Only problem is, the owner says he never even registered it [its been 13+ years I believe, so out of system probably?], it has no license plate or nothing.

Anyways, question is, I know that if I convert it to a small flatbed, I can say I built it and register it with a new VIN. BUT, what if I want to keep it as a camper, but restore it and paint it? Can I still say I built it or what would I need to do? Or would it be too much hastle to be worth it?

Also, to get it home can I just drive it? The owners told me I would just get a fix it tick it sort of thing if I get pulled over, if I says I'm going to register it and rebuild it or whatever. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,077
If there's no title, you'll have to figure out where it was last registered and then find out from that state what the procedure is for getting it titled. What you don't want to do is get stopped with it and find out it's stolen.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
If there's no title, you'll have to figure out where it was last registered and then find out from that state what the procedure is for getting it titled. What you don't want to do is get stopped with it and find out it's stolen.
Yea DEFINITLY don't want that to happen.

I noticed that on CA DMV it says something about abandoned trailers/motorhomes?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5903.htm

Perhaps theres a way to do it here? It is very old, and hasn't been in the regestration system since 13-20+ years.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, doing a little research, it looks like since its so old, and long out of the DMV system, and the vin number seems to be worn off, I should be able to fix it up, and take it for inspection and get a new vin number and title.

Also, since its a single axle trailer and less than 16', I should be able to get a perment plate, and only reg it every 5 years for a small fee.

As far as moving it, I am planning to move it tommorw, today I am going to the DMV to attempt to get a day pass to move it, wish me luck! If I can't, I'll just drive it, I think it'll be ok, IF they won't give me a day pass, then how do they expect me to bring it to the DMV for inspection?

It isn't in too horrible of shape, the outside actually just needs a good wash, and it looks like the paints still good. The inside is a bit trashed, all thats left is the kitchen.

So, it'll just be a neat little resoration project.

I am planning on building some cabnets, and putting in some air mattreses for now. I am also going to build a new table, and mount a small 20 inch TV in it, and a Window AC.

I'll make a thread with pics once I get it started. It should turn out pretty cool. Can't beat free, the frames good.

Yea it'll look funny pulling this little thing with my giant 3500 diesel dually ram! Yea wheres the $50,000 5th wheel? But hell, for now its perfect, Hollister hills I think you have to be less than 19' to camp there, and it won't affect my gas milage much!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: