User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Fayborg OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Suggestions for Camping in desert type areas

After trading PM 's with inmate Brajole. It was decided to post a request for suggestions and/or recommendations for tent camping in the desert. I am planning on a trip to Arizona, Utah and New Mexico.

What precautions, tips or suggestions do you inmates have for tent camping and traveling though those areas? I would be staying on mainly paved roads and staying in campgrounds. Basically wondering and taking in the various sites of the southwest. This would be in maybe October, November time frame.

I know it is important to stay hydrated, but what about scorpions, snakes, spiders. Is gas available during the day time or would you carry a gallon? Is water available in most campgrounds along paved roads?

Hopefully this makes some sense. Any thought would be appreciated for this Midwest country boy. Thanks
Fayborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
lightcycle
Nomad

Oddometer: 457
We camped in the states that you mentioned last year in late October/November. It does tend to get cold in the desert that time of year, so I'd get a sleeping bag that's good to below freezing. We stayed mainly in US National Parks (a bit pricey), State Parks and some National Forests. For the most part, the campsites in these areas are well groomed and the only dangerous wildlife you'll be seeing are animals scurrying out in front of your motorcycle in the dark.

Amenities in those parks are all over the place. Some have hot running water showers, potable water and flush toilets, electric outlets to plug in your razor, etc. others have the bare necessities - a hole in the ground and a hand sanitizer dispenser. Best to be prepared for the worst case and bring your own TP, a large supply of potable water and lots of bug spray/bug shirt/net. Don't forget your reading light for the tent, helpful to find your way to aforementioned hole in the ground in the middle of the night.

There's gas everywhere in those parks. Even in Death Valley National Park, you'll pay $6.00 a gallon, but there's gas there. I wouldn't worry about that. To save some money, bring your empty water jug to any restaurant (Subway, McDonalds) and they'll fill it with drinking water for you before you hit the campsite. Free!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,532
Dont set up your tent in a "wash" (a dry creek bed) storms many miles away can cause a flash flood without notice.

Zip the two door zipers on your tent so that they meet somewhere atthe top to keep critters out...and dont ever leave the door unziped.

Check your boots before putting them on.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
It takes more water than you will expect. I like these bags...tough and high capacity (I have the 6 Liter bag). And, they pack down well when empty.

http://www.backcountry.com/msr-dromedary-bags
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
I'm an east coaster, but I learned to roll up my sleeping bag when not in use due to the fine sand filtering through my tent mesh, filling the tent and bag with gritty sand.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Shake out anything that has been outside before bringing it into your tent to remove spiders, scorpions and other critters. Dor mice and kangaroo rats come out at night and will chew through nylon packs and such while looking for food. Also the ravens in Death Valley have mastered the art of opening zippers on panniers and tank bags to look for food. Rattlers will probably be hibernating at that time but be careful where you step and put your hands just in case.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Fayborg OP
Adventurer

Thanks everyone for the info about the parks, wash areas, mice and rats along with the fine sand blowing into the tent. We have chipmunks and racoons that are pretty crafty but the most part don't chew your stuff up.

Okie Preacher thanks for info on the MSR dromedary bags. Are they pretty bomb proof. I am interested in getting a couple sizes. Do they come with a shower type hose/nozzle?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayborg View Post
Thanks everyone for the info about the parks, wash areas, mice and rats along with the fine sand blowing into the tent. We have chipmunks and racoons that are pretty crafty but the most part don't chew your stuff up.

Okie Preacher thanks for info on the MSR dromedary bags. Are they pretty bomb proof. I am interested in getting a couple sizes. Do they come with a shower type hose/nozzle?
There is an optional lid/valve that will serve those purposes.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Fayborg OP
Adventurer

Thanks Okie for the info
Old 06-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,869
- Always carry water. The MSR bags are good for this. I carry about 8 liters when crossing desert areas.
- Never pass a Gas Station. It's often 100+ miles between gas. Try to refill at 1/2 tank. My SE can carry 10 gallons of fuel.
- Definitely check for critters in your boots, and under the tent. Little white scorpions blend in with the sand very well.
- Wind can be a big problem so make sure your tent can handle it. 45 MPH gusts can happen.
- There is LOTS of BLM and National Forest ares that are great for free camping.
- If it's posted or fenced, its private property and respect that... seriously.
- Be sure to enjoy the solitude and the night sky.

Have a great trip and experiences.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
travatron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
-
- If it's posted or fenced, its private property and respect that... seriously.
Q~
I would say, for Nevada at least, "if it's posted AND fenced" there is a LOT of grazing area that is fenced and is either BLM land or thousand acre ranches where the fence is just there because its too expensive to put in a cattle guard.

Certainly, if it's much more than a 2-wire hook-the-stick-onto-the-other-stick type fence, I'd be looking for postings (or signs its been posted before, lots of people are disrespectful and rip it down), but if you just turn around at every gate, you won't get anywhere out west.

And, to reinforce: bring more water and fuel than you think you'll need,
travatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
stargazer
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Be sure to bring and use LIP BALM.
I found this out the hard way once on a trip to Utah.

Luckily I found some fairly nearby in Mexican Hat.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Fayborg OP
Adventurer

Okie or those that have the MSR Dromadary bags. Are they totally leak proof or is there some seepage or condesation after several days? I just picked up the 6 liter. Very sturdy bag. Just thought there was going to be a separate liner.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #14
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayborg View Post
Okie or those that have the MSR Dromadary bags. Are they totally leak proof or is there some seepage or condesation after several days? I just picked up the 6 liter. Very sturdy bag. Just thought there was going to be a separate liner.
I have found it to be a tough piece of kit and have never had a problem with condensation or leaking. The biggest complaint re. the bags has always been the "plastic" taste. When I first got mine I ran a couple of Osprey cleaning tablets through it and have not had any problem.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
goathead
grunt and push

Oddometer: 42
Desert camping

I have found that the sand blows though the bug netting so I have a tent that has zippered flaps on all bug netting. Hot in the day and cold at night so I use a flannel sheet with my sleeping bag, the flannel also doesn't feel so bad when a little sand gets in.
goathead is offline   Reply With Quote