User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
B.E. Coyote OP
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,362
Hyundai Elantra

Anybody buy one recently? Did you get much off MSRP?

Wife decided that will be her next car but I am reading articles that people are paying over MSRP.

They have 0% interest for 5 years so I am not expecting much but over MSRP doesn't sound right.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,149
My local dealers have 100s of Elantras in stock. Come to Chicago.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Anybody buy one recently? Did you get much off MSRP?

Wife decided that will be her next car but I am reading articles that people are paying over MSRP.

They have 0% interest for 5 years so I am not expecting much but over MSRP doesn't sound right.
0% for 5 years doesn't match with selling over MSRP at the dealer level; I suspect the "over-MSRP" anecdotes are dealer sourced BS. If you do happen to live in a strange Hyundai-obsessed geographic vortex, do a fly and drive vacation to Southern Cal, they're discounting them nicely around here, like every other compact car. Check out www.truecar.com for your zip code, it should give you a starting point on what to pay and who to talk to.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,725
I bought mine in May of 2011 when the MD body style was first introduced. The pipeline was very slow to fill with most of them flying off the lot in a few days. Stories were rampant that people were taking any color or trim level and paying over list price then too. And yet, I still got the exact car in the trim and options I wanted in the color of my choice and paid under MSRP for it. Go figure.

Don't buy in to the hype. In the last few months, supply finally seems to be outstripping demand as dealers now have solid inventories. IMHO, only a fool would pay above MSRP when supplies are limited. You would have to be certifiably deranged to do so when inventories are full.

P.S. I still like the car very much. I've had zero problems and would buy another without hesitation.

Edited to add a big +1 to all of Ursa Majors points. I live in a big metropolitan area and used TrueCar to find the best price. It was easily worth the effort of driving across town for the lowest price and the exact car I wanted. The TrueCar service was included in the one month long online subscription to Consumer Reports that I used to do research. Best $6.95 you can spend when car shopping.

Dagofast screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 12:35 PM
Dagofast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Wife bought one last year, we paid somewhere between invoice and MSRP but I honestly dont remember what. She totally loves the car. Its fun to drive and sporty looking, but it aint no hot rod. The gas mileage also isn't what they advertised. It gets high 20s to mid 30s depending on how driven. We are supposed to get a debit card from Hyundai to make up the difference between advertised and actual at the end of each year.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
Wife bought one last year, we paid somewhere between invoice and MSRP but I honestly dont remember what. She totally loves the car. Its fun to drive and sporty looking, but it aint no hot rod. The gas mileage also isn't what they advertised. It gets high 20s to mid 30s depending on how driven. We are supposed to get a debit card from Hyundai to make up the difference between advertised and actual at the end of each year.
Nice, I am thinking about getting one as well, sounds like a solid choice...
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
Only 2011-2012 models with the 29 city/40 highway ratings qualify for the fuel rebate. You have to register online, print of a sheet and then drop by a dealer for them to verify your mileage. Only then does Hyundai send you the debit card. Then you drop by a dealer periodically as the miles pile up and they put more money on the card. It's good forever, no limit on miles or time. It might even transfer to subsequent owners, its been too long since I did it to trust my memory.

I drive primarily in town and usually average 29-30 with a worst tank ever of 27. On the freeway for long trips, I've seen a best tank of 38.8 MPG (manually calculated, not using the display. I now keep track of every fill on an iPhone app) with a lowest of 33. For me, 34-37 highway is routinely achieved and I'm not a hyper miler. It really depends on terrain, temperature, quality of the fuel and how mellow I am with the go pedal. I usually get the best mileage using cruise control.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
i_4ce
wants a WeeStrom

Oddometer: 242
So does that mean the 2013s get better mileage or did they drop the rating on them?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

They dropped the ratings. On some models like the Elantra, the rating wasn't very far off, maybe 1-2 MPG. On other models it was farther off, like 3-4 MPG, hence a bigger rebate.

Apparently other makers are also having problems hitting some of the fuel mileage ratings advertised on the window stickers. Some news reports on one of Fords new hybrid models says it misses by over 10 MPG. AKAIK, only Hyundai and Kia stepped up to make it right with owners by giving them direct reimbursements.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
B.E. Coyote OP
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,362
Well we ended up with a Sonata Limited for well under MSRP. Damn nice car, nicer than we are used to anyway, wife is as happy as if it were a Mercedes.

If it is reliable it should be a great car.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Congrats! After she puts a few miles on it, check back in and give us an update!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
Cheddarhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Sonata = Great Car / Value

Quote:
Well we ended up with a Sonata Limited for well under MSRP. Damn nice car, nicer than we are used to anyway, wife is as happy as if it were a Mercedes.

Bought a Sonata in 2009. It now has nearly 90,000 miles on it.

Base (GLS) model with 4 cyl engine and auto trans. I would have gotten a 5 speed manual if one could have been found.

Much nicer / more interior quality than the Fusion / Accord / Camry I was originally shopping for. Easily the best car I've ever owned as far as fuel efficiency (28+ in town, 33 on longer trips), cabin fit / finish / sound level, etc. Trunk is caverous. Only gripe is that the OEM tires (Michelins) lasted less than 55K and one of them would lose 5-7 psi consistently.

Will buy another...just wish I could get another new one for the price I paid for this one ($14.5K iirc).

Cheddar
Cheddarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,061
Quote:

One of the wife's co workers just got rid of her 5 year old Sonata. It had 345,000 trouble free miles. She has a long commute. She got a used Buick that already has had some headlight problems, causing her to leave it parked over night at the office.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
bump. any updates? we test drove elantra tonight, and liked it, but had to pull out for the night due to unsuccessful negotiation. the dealer is asking $17.7 for a 2013 elantra gls with preferred package with $2000 off (hyundai incentives). I walked away, because according to my calculations, the car should've been $15.7 out the door. advice appreciated.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,342
Can't say anything about the Elantra, but I drove a rented low-mileage '13 Sonata on an 1800-mile road trip earlier this year and wouldn't own one. It was mostly fine, but did not handle water well. The accessory drive belt would squeal and the battery light would come on when splashed by just normal puddles, and the brakes got wet way too easily and went to total shit while they were wet. And the Toyota-induced "safety" updates to throttle-by-wire systems prevent riding the brake to dry the rotors while driving down the road, but that's likely to be true for everything that doesn't have a cable-driven throttle these days.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: