Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
While not currently in the market, I like keeping tabs. Local BMW has one of each but I haven't stopped by. I see them every time I'm on the 13th fairway at the golf course I play (somewhat regularly).

I wish they were less than 500 pounds though. 500 and under seems more manageable.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
It's a nice looking comfortable machine (by the sit test)...would like to ride one, but way too expensive for me to buy.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #18
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
The TMAX seems like the bees knees that's for sure. Too bad the newer model isn't being imported with ABS.

I would be concerned about BMW pulling out of the scooter market after a year or two, then being left without proper support.
As long as you have BMW motorcycle dealers around, you will have support for the scooters....and no chance of them disapearing.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #19
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
As long as you have BMW motorcycle dealers around, you will have support for the scooters....and no chance of them disapearing.
Yea, I would not worry about loosing support.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #20
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
While not currently in the market, I like keeping tabs. Local BMW has one of each but I haven't stopped by. I see them every time I'm on the 13th fairway at the golf course I play (somewhat regularly).

I wish they were less than 500 pounds though. 500 and under seems more manageable.
Don't let the weight put you off. I've got a GT and it is unbelievably easy to balance, especially at super slow speeds. It handles easier at slow speed than my Majesty did and it was no slouch.

Also, although not cheap, I don't see the $9,990 BMW grossly expensive compared to the $10,999 Suzuki Burgman. For the price of the Burgman I was able to add 3 level heated seats, 3 level heated grips, and a tire pressure monitoring system to the GT. Plus if you classify it as its abilities suggest, as a mid sized touring bike, it's $7k cheaper than an R1200RT.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #21
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Your comments about features hit the nail on the head R4L. There are plenty of bikes with varying costs, usually you pay for quality and features. It just happens that a BMW scooter doesn't come stripped down and cost $6500. It comes fully loaded including not to be found features which is unusual for a scooter. 'I could buy a motorcycle for that price!' some say; well I (greyhound) don't want a motorcycle and am pleased with all of the new offerings from the best value Kymco, new imported Honda bikes, the Avant-garde new Vespa, and the fully loaded BMW's.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
I never got to test ride the GT after all. My niece loaned me her 250 Ninja and I took it on a scenic coastal ride with a buddy (he on his C14).

In Newfoundland the difference in price between a new TMax and a C600 is minimal. Given the climate, I'd go for the BMW because I tell you heated seats and grips are freaking wicked. Add to that a very comfy riding position and great wind protection, it is ideal. I'm sold.

Sidebar: This is what kept me from testing the GT. If you've never ridden a baby Ninja, you owe it to yourself to give one a try. They are a blast. Cheap too. My niece picked this one up for 3 grand.

klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #23
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I to am thinking about going to a scooter just because I've never owned one and at 68 it sounds like a good idea, plus everyone seems to rave about them, for what reason I don't know for myself yet. After owning most of the dual sport bikes out there from BMW's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, and Honda's I'm getting tired of 34"-36" tall seats. I must confess I own a 2013 Honda CRF250L and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it and when I ride one of these new scooters if I don't get that smile, no scooter for me. I looked at the BMW scooters in Hurst last week, but they didn't jump out and grab me like the Suzuki 650 Bergman does. I haven't ridden the Bergman yet, but will probably take a trip down to Central Texas Motorsports in Georgetown this week, they have two used ones and they will let me ride one for as long as I need to. Steve the owner of CTM is one great guy and if you haven't seen their dealership yet you need to stop by, they carry the whole Japanese line of bikes so it's easy to compare bikes and models. Anyway back on scooters, I guess I will look for that smile, it my buying factor, always worked in the past.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #24
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
Trainman, I took a ride on a 650 Burgman and next... I bought one. I am mid-stream in the farkle process on mine now. I have already added a top box. Still have to wire it into my Burgman's rear wiring harness. I have side racks on order to fit my Givi E-41's off of my 650 V-Strom. Already have RAM balls mounted. Figuring out what I am going to do about the seat as I find the stock seat uncomfortable after about an hour (I have had to change the seat on every motorcycle I have owned after I turned about 50 so no surprise here). But I love this bike!

I was having difficulty mounting and dismounting my V-Strom due to arthritis so I was looking for a new ride. Figured I was going to have to go the cruiser route and I was not in love with that idea. My dealer had a Honda Silverwing and the Burgman 650 Executive on the showroom floor. Sat on both, liked the room to stretch out more on the Burgman and as I already said, I took the Burgman home. I have already put over a thousand miles on the Burgman in the first month. This bike is a keeper. And yes, I already know about the possible transmission problems with the big Burgmans. I also know that if you check the transmission stopper bolts every 5 thousand miles (a 5 minute process done while you are changing the oil) these baby's will go about 50,000 miles before needing a new belt. Yes, they have a kevlar and metal belt inside the transmission. Also, a heads up for those of you considering the Burgman 650. The engine and transmission are frame mounted so they are sprung weight, not unsprung weight like most scooters. This makes the bike handle much better.

My wife loves the pillion on this bike too. She says it is the most comfortable ride we have ever owned. As most of you married riders know, keep the wife happy and you have a big leg up on being happy yourselves.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #25
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I to am thinking about going to a scooter just because I've never owned one and at 68 it sounds like a good idea, plus everyone seems to rave about them, for what reason I don't know for myself yet. After owning most of the dual sport bikes out there from BMW's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, and Honda's I'm getting tired of 34"-36" tall seats. I must confess I own a 2013 Honda CRF250L and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it and when I ride one of these new scooters if I don't get that smile, no scooter for me. I looked at the BMW scooters in Hurst last week, but they didn't jump out and grab me like the Suzuki 650 Bergman does. I haven't ridden the Bergman yet, but will probably take a trip down to Central Texas Motorsports in Georgetown this week, they have two used ones and they will let me ride one for as long as I need to. Steve the owner of CTM is one great guy and if you haven't seen their dealership yet you need to stop by, they carry the whole Japanese line of bikes so it's easy to compare bikes and models. Anyway back on scooters, I guess I will look for that smile, it my buying factor, always worked in the past.

John
Keep us posted. The smile factor is important. I smile every time I ride my Passport. The slower pace, the smells in the air (freshly cut grass, flowers, the smell after rain, restaurant smells, etc), the warm breeze on the face - all of this gets the neurons in the pleasure centre in my brain jumping - every time. I love it.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Thanks for those quick responses, I to am going from a 650 V-Strom to something with a lower seat and I to didn't want a cruiser either. I will keep my Honda CRF250L (34 1/2" seat) for my fun off road riding, just can't completely give that type of ride up yet. Don't know how I will farkle mine when I buy one, but it will be done in good taste when I do. I just need a sticker to put on the scooter that says, "My other ride is a dirt bike, but today I'm just Style 'in". PS, from what I have read on the "Stopper Bolt" is that this was a earlier model problem, it seems to have been corrected a few years back, but like you said, it won't hurt to check it from time to time.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #27
DandM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Test drive the 650 Burgman and you'll probably buy one. I did!
It actually feels like it's shifting, like you're really still driving a six speed motorcycle; especially when slowing down to a stop. My left foot feels neglected though; it's like magic... The wife and I are love ing this ride.
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #28
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Good thread. I started riding motorcycles in 1973. Got my first scooter in 2008, my second one in 2011. My primary ride is a T-Max. I love it. It excels at high performance cornering - stable and confidence-inspiring, with great turn-in. On smooth pavement, it outcorners anything I have ever owned, including my old GSXR 1000. I've never had a bike that responds to countersteering as well as the T-Max does. The bike just flat out responds to my thoughts as if we were one. Highly recommended and tons of fun to ride if you like to go asphalt dancing and corner carving.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #29
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
Very few BMW dealers will quote you anything other than MSRP over the phone or email. Why should they? If you're not willing to come in why would they waste their time answering your fishing emails?
If they are going to have the "request a quote" feature on their website, THEY should take it seriously. There's not a BMW dealership around every corner. Some people may not want to make a 200 mile round trip just to get an idea of how much a bike costs. I was recently in the market for a luxury tourer. I could have driven to the 6 different dealers that had the various bikes I was interested in. Their shop hours mirror my work hours with the exception of they are open on Saturday when I am off. Because of how far apart they are from each other and because of how far they are from me it would have taken 2 or 3 Saturdays just to get a quote on the bikes I was interested in. Some of those shops had a "request a quote" feature on their website. I used it. Many didn't respond. One had a salesperson that emailed me and asked me to call him. Really? Why not just get rid of the damn email quote and have a call for price policy instead? Don't waste my time with your gimmicks. I bought my bike from a dealer that didn't fuck around.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #30
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,865
When will one of the scooter manufacturers make a touring model with cruise control? How about a stereo. I had hoped BMW would do it with this machine.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote