Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #46
DougL
Rock Star

Oddometer: 2
I have no idea why, but every one that buys a Burgman says it handles well. Perhaps that is because they have bought one and it applies particularly to US buyers. The Burgman does not handle partciularly well and that is not just my opinion. It also does a high speed wobble (not a tank-slapper, but an uncomfortable wobble) that neither the TMAX or BMW brethren do. I'm an ex TMAX owner, now own a C600 Sport.

DougL screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 02:16 PM
DougL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #47
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
The BMW is $1000 less then the 650 Bergman, but after you get the BMW price at the dealership you will probably be able to ride out the door on the Bergman for the same price, if not less. Do the BMW scooters have the same three year warranty as their motorcycles, this could be buying plus for some.

John
The warranty is 2 years / unlimited miles
Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #48
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL View Post
I have no idea why, but every one that buys a Burgman says it handles well. Perhaps that is because they have bought one and it applies particularly to US buyers. The Burgman does not handle partciularly well and that is not just my opinion. It also does a high speed wobble (not a tank-slapper, but an uncomfortable wobble) that neither the TMAX or BMW brethren do. I'm an ex TMAX owner, now own a C600 Sport.
I haven't ridden the Burgman and have nothing bad to say about it. Obviously the handling hasn't prevented it from becoming the face of the maxi scooter segment to date. I can speak to the handling of the C650GT. I have 8500 miles on mine so far and while it isn't as nimble around town as my Majesty, it has two major handling improvements. First, it is stunningly balanced at walking speeds. With care coming to a stop, putting your foot down immediately is optional. I have balanced, feet up, though an entire red light cycle. Second, it is dead stable at ultra-highway speeds. It does a GPS confirmed 110 when it ran up against the speed limiter (professional rider on a closed course ) with no wobble, head shake or lane wandering at all. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip to New Orleans and was just as comfortable as on a R1200RT. The riders seat could be wider but that's more of a comment on my width than the seat's shape. On that trip I ran though some serious storms with 20-30mph winds (gusts to 50 in places) and heavy rain for the last 100 miles (up to 4 inches per hr). It's not the kind of weather I would choose for a long ride but it was a great test of the bike's stability qualities. If you're not interested in long rides at a constant 80-90mph, this report may be meaningless to you, but even if you never plan to ride that hard, it's good to know the bike is ready for it if needed.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #49
fonsecarlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Canīt understand how 100-110 mph is high speed.

There is not high speed in maxiscooters world.
fonsecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #50
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonsecarlos View Post
Canīt understand how 100-110 mph is high speed.

There is not high speed in maxiscooters world.
I think you will find that 110 mph along the Tail of the Dragon would be considered by many to be high speed.

So high speed is relative to the road, weather conditions and the abilities of the machine and rider. There is no absolute definition of high speed.

My wife thinks 100 mph is a high speed and I do not. We are both right!
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #51
fonsecarlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
I think you will find that 110 mph along the Tail of the Dragon would be considered by many to be high speed.

So high speed is relative to the road, weather conditions and the abilities of the machine and rider. There is no absolute definition of high speed.

My wife thinks 100 mph is a high speed and I do not. We are both right!
I agree with you to some extent.

20 mph can be high speed.

But that was not the question. The question was some maxis ie Burgman performance and handling being not up the task.

As i view it a maxiscoter is not intended primarily to perform as a sport bike can perform.
Touring, carrying stuff, confort, 2up, long driving hours and so on.

For its purpose a maxi as a Burgman handles well enough.
Even if it wobblles and not in a dangerous way near its maximum speed it will be in place where for other motorcycles 100-110 mph would not be high speed.
fonsecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #52
carockwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
What kind of damage (if any) will the 600GT sustain after dropping it in a parking lot? I could go for one of these if it can sustain the inevitable drop without damage.
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #53
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
I am 6'1" and see a Majesty nearby for a decent price. Will I fit on this bike? Don't want to take the long drive to find out it is too small.

1999 BMW Funduro
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #54
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
As the owner of a 2012 Burgman 650 , I can say without a doubt mine does not weave or wobble at any speed . At least not for the first 4500 + miles

The two things that i find in need of much improvement are the front and rear suspension . They are truly awful IMHO.

The seat leaves a lot to be desired also, at least for my low back and butt.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #55
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by carockwell View Post
What kind of damage (if any) will the 600GT sustain after dropping it in a parking lot? I could go for one of these if it can sustain the inevitable drop without damage.
That would be my definition of buying with your head rather than your heart. Well done!
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #56
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I am 6'1" and see a Majesty nearby for a decent price. Will I fit on this bike? Don't want to take the long drive to find out it is too small.

1999 BMW Funduro
I had an '05 Majesty and wasn't cramped on it. The rider's seatback is removable to give extra room. They changed the seat design in '07 (I think) to give a little more room. My 650GT has more space but it's more of a mid-sized touring bike than a traditional scooter. BTW, I played Rugby in college so I'm a good sized fellow also. I recommend a test ride with and without the backrest.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #57
UtahDirt
What happened to the Sun?

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Because they do, for what they are. Will my new 2012 keep up with my K1300rs, why would I try?? 2 posts and your gone, nice. Wobble seems to be tire related, something BMW knows about.
14 Harley Ultra Limited Water Pumper
UtahDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #58
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,575
Quote:
Both of my Burgman 650's handled well. When I say that, it is relative to their design. I managed to giggle my ass off in many passes through Deals Gap. That's well enough for me. The T-Max and the C600 Sport were designed to handle "sportier". Neither Burgman had any kind of wobble at indicated triple digit speeds. How many Burgmans have you ridden in the twisties and at triple digit speeds?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #59
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
I haven't ridden the Burgman and have nothing bad to say about it. Obviously the handling hasn't prevented it from becoming the face of the maxi scooter segment to date. I can speak to the handling of the C650GT. I have 8500 miles on mine so far and while it isn't as nimble around town as my Majesty, it has two major handling improvements. First, it is stunningly balanced at walking speeds. With care coming to a stop, putting your foot down immediately is optional. I have balanced, feet up, though an entire red light cycle. Second, it is dead stable at ultra-highway speeds. It does a GPS confirmed 110 when it ran up against the speed limiter (professional rider on a closed course ) with no wobble, head shake or lane wandering at all. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip to New Orleans and was just as comfortable as on a R1200RT. The riders seat could be wider but that's more of a comment on my width than the seat's shape. On that trip I ran though some serious storms with 20-30mph winds (gusts to 50 in places) and heavy rain for the last 100 miles (up to 4 inches per hr). It's not the kind of weather I would choose for a long ride but it was a great test of the bike's stability qualities. If you're not interested in long rides at a constant 80-90mph, this report may be meaningless to you, but even if you never plan to ride that hard, it's good to know the bike is ready for it if needed.
Why didn't you message me?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #60
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Why didn't you message me?
I thought about giving you a shout, just now when I realized where you live. I promise to PM you on my next trip down.