Sunset Rider

Oddometer: 157

Old 12-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #77
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey.hound View Post
exactly. It seems to be one heck of a scoot and thanks for your positive report, these scoots need more of it. Seems everyone who has one loves it. Please keep us updated.

Like i said somewhere in one of these bmw threads, it pretty much answers everything i would want in an upgraded bike.
+1

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #78
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,720
I have not ridden one of these but did get a chance to sit on both the sport and GT at a show last year. The sport seemed to have the best riding position of ANY maxi scooter, at least for me. My wife also liked the seating position on the back. We both agreed it was better than the 650 GT which had more of a feet forward, bars back position similar to other maxi scooters.

I still haven't seen a BMW scooter on the road.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #79
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,188
I need to get to a BMW dealer!
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #80
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I was in the dealership yesterday and looked at the 650GT and the 600 Sport. The GT has better storage and more doodads on it. The Sport appeals to me more...manual windshield adjustment and a bit more sleek in design, although underway storage is compromised.

Given that the SWing is probably gone next year and I remain distrustful of the Burgman 650's transmission, the C600 Sport seems like a very good alternative for about the same money...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #81
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,556
I suppose if you don't mind having to replace the drive belt and chain EVERY 12000 miles (according to BMW's own Service Schedule), to the tune of about $2000+ (UGH), go right ahead

That's why I bought a 2012 Burgman 650 Executive for less $$ and if you ride it sensibly, the belt can last 75000 miles (or even more for some).
It IS expensive when it actually comes to replacing it though.
A lot of guys will choose to part the bike out instead of replacing the belt, but by that time it is probably 10 years old and time for a new bike anyway.

2013 Honda NC700X-DCT (Red of course )
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #82
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
I suppose if you don't mind having to replace the drive belt and chain EVERY 12000 miles (according to BMW's own Service Schedule), to the tune of about $2000+ (UGH), go right ahead
$2000 to replace the belt and chain? That sounds too high even if you have the dealer do it. Where did you get that information?

Old 12-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #83
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
$2000 to replace the belt and chain? That sounds too high even if you have the dealer do it. Where did you get that information?
That rumor was floating around for a while. My understanding is the belt is to be replaced at 12k, the chain and sprockets at 24k. I read somewhere (cant remember where now) that the cost of the 24k service including what would then be belt #2, chain, sprockets, fluids, filters, labor, etc., was supposed to be around $800.00.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #84
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
That rumor was floating around for a while. My understanding is the belt is to be replaced at 12k, the chain and sprockets at 24k. I read somewhere (cant remember where now) that the cost of the 24k service including what would then be belt #2, chain, sprockets, fluids, filters, labor, etc., was supposed to be around $800.00.
If the 24K service includes chain, belt, rollers, sliding blocks, valve adjustment and oil change, then $800 sound about right. Now the question is how difficult is all this to do. I always do this stuff myself on my motorcycles and scooters. I'm sure the parts themselves are only a fraction of the cost, maybe $200-300.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #85
BerndM
Shiftless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I got the info from this website

http://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-c-650-gt/bmw-scooter-maintenance-schedule/

Scroll down a ways and the pricing schedule will show up. Lots of interesting reading there.

BTW

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR TOO

Old 12-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #86
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
I got the info from this website

http://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-c-650-gt/bmw-scooter-maintenance-schedule/

Scroll down a ways and the pricing schedule will show up. Lots of interesting reading there.

BTW

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR TOO
Despite the e-mail being from BMW Malaysia itself, I don't totally trust it.
It does not make sense that the 20,000 km Minor Service is more expensive than the 40,000 major service.

Merry Xmas.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:04 AM   #87
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:

That's why I bought a 2012 Burgman 650 Executive for less $$ and if you ride it sensibly, the belt can last 75000 miles (or even more for some).
It IS expensive when it actually comes to replacing it though.
A lot of guys will choose to part the bike out instead of replacing the belt, but by that time it is probably 10 years old and time for a new bike anyway.
My antique scooter has a sealed drive chain probably much like the BMW, and I just changed it after 27 years and 70,000 miles. Parts about $100.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #88
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
My email has been bmwloco@blahbha for over 24 years

It is about air cooled BMWs. And the occasional K bike.

They sell nothing, today, that I would put my hard earned dollars into, and especially a $7k scooter

Heck, go to BMW source and buy a Kymco. Let's see....oh, guess what? They cost the same for a 700cc scooter with ABS

BMW used to be about quality well built machines. Now the are "bend over and like it...."

My perspective is based on the fact that I used to work at a dealership. The upper management is the problem. I was selling lots of bikes in the day. Talking to each customer and actively listening to what they were saying, matching customers to the bike. The regional manager was a real SOB. He bellowed at me once "...they are vacuum cleaners son, just sell them what we have!"

It is about money and numbers, that's it

If you have a good BMW dealer, great. They are few and far between.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #89
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I'm going to agree with bmwloco on this one.
If I ever get well enough to ride again it will be on an old BMWAirHead or a Triumph.
Nothing much out there in today's market interests me .
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #90
BerndM
Shiftless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwloco View Post
My email has been bmwloco@blahbha for over 24 years

It is about air cooled BMWs. And the occasional K bike.

They sell nothing, today, that I would put my hard earned dollars into, and especially a $7k scooter

Heck, go to BMW source and buy a Kymco. Let's see....oh, guess what? They cost the same for a 700cc scooter with ABS

BMW used to be about quality well built machines. Now the are "bend over and like it...."

My perspective is based on the fact that I used to work at a dealership. The upper management is the problem. I was selling lots of bikes in the day. Talking to each customer and actively listening to what they were saying, matching customers to the bike. The regional manager was a real SOB. He bellowed at me once "...they are vacuum cleaners son, just sell them what we have!"

It is about money and numbers, that's it

If you have a good BMW dealer, great. They are few and far between.
Where the heck are you finding a BMW C600/C650 scooter for $7k
They're much closer to the $9-10K here in SoCal (new of course) and about $12k OTD