Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Selling the Moto. Woes and PIA Situations

I am very familiar with the regular bike selling Woes;

Selling the bike for 1000's less than invested

Spending hours with some would be buyers and no fooking deal

Dealing with freaks

Fake People Calling Phishing for personal data

Automated text pages; "Hey, is Ur [Cycle] still 4 sale? Pls email me 349347fukUluzer@hotmail.com"

Etc......

So, today I got a really weird one that stood out and that I never experienced before. And I wanted to share it with "the community" and see if anyone here has had this shit happen to them yet.

My cell rings and it's a Northern Los Angeles phone number. I answer. "Hello" There is that typical delay of a telemarketer before a female says back "Hello, can you hear me?" I say yes and then she proceeds to slaughter her sales call by saying "Are you still selling a 2012, I mean 2013 T R I UM U Ph.. Scamber?" I shit you not, She could not pronounce the manufacturer name or model name of my bike.

I should have hung up but I was dying to see what this crap was all about so I said "Yes I am, would you like to buy it from me?" She then continues her very poorly delivered pitch and the best I can describe it from memory is she works for a marketing company that that buy used bikes for clients all over the world. And she wanted to put me on the phone with another sales rep to set me up to list my bike with them. WTF???

She gave me no company name. But I know they farmed my info off of psycle Traiter. I have not posted my recent items on the C.L.

I interrupted her as quickly as I could at that point to tell her I was not interested and she got off the phone pretty fast.

So, has anyone had a similar encounter?

Thanks all.
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Yup, when selling my 73 340 Duster ..............non stop. CL ad.
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
I got those calls to my personal cell phone when I had a bike on craigslist. Continued for a while after I removed the number from the listing
One was a very complicated phishing attempt to get me to install some kind of software on my computer?

I later set up a google voice number that I could trash after I was done.

http://lifehacker.com/5915608/how-can-i-avoid-getting-screwed-when-selling-on-craigslist
DesertTortoise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Why would you possibly want to put your personal phone number in your CL ad???

I've sold three bikes and two scooters on CL among other things, and never ever have advertised my phone number. E-mail and a throw away e-mail at that, is all you need. Any interested buyer will give their own phone number to you, at which point you can call and talk details. Everything else gets screened out, right at the ad.

There are a lot of weird people out there.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyShorts View Post
truly interested buyers don't mind giving their number.
YMMV, put I'd rather not provide mine as a buyer or a seller until after the first real email exchange...that tends to weed out a lot of the wackiness. I also like to have a written response to refer to if I'm checking in on half a dozen bikes and am trying to remember if I'm talking about the $2k bike whose scratches "will buff right out" or the $3k bike that's in "great shape" but only has low-res cell phone photos taken in the dark and the poster somehow forgot to mention the mileage...
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I understand that the scams are all out there and the less info (email address, phone #, etc..) given limits the amount of aggravation one puts up with.

It certainly takes the fun out of trying to sell a bike. In hindsight, I have never really had fun selling any of my bikes. But I sure love buying them!!!!
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote