Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,820
Those big Vulcans and Nomads are great touring bikes, at least the ones with tubeless tires. I don't feel the need for a bike that big and heavy, because I always ride alone, and like something that can be tossed around a bit. I had a 1500 Goldwing, and it burned more gas than a car. I finally gave it up, just didn't need something that big, and thirsty. The 750 is amazingly comfortable, 2 weeks of 500 mile days were no problem. Also did a couple of SS1000s on it.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #17
kojack OP
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Those big Vulcans and Nomads are great touring bikes, at least the ones with tubeless tires. I don't feel the need for a bike that big and heavy, because I always ride alone, and like something that can be tossed around a bit. I had a 1500 Goldwing, and it burned more gas than a car. I finally gave it up, just didn't need something that big, and thirsty. The 750 is amazingly comfortable, 2 weeks of 500 mile days were no problem. Also did a couple of SS1000s on it.
Yeah. I picked my vulcan up off my dad. He never rode it so I figure I would make something cool out of it. Like a flat black bagger for cruising around town after work.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,194
my '08 1600 Nomad:

great bike. Looked good, sounded good, very comfortable. I let it go though, because I wanted something lighter. A LOT lighter. This is a great bike for two up riding.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
kojack OP
My Hardley is a POS

Not near as heavy as an Electra glide. Ha ha. I have a versys for my.main ride. The vulcan will be my play toy.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Not near as heavy as an Electra glide. Ha ha. I have a versys for my.main ride. The vulcan will be my play toy.

Ha ha. I am the opposite. When I had the Vulcan, and now with the Connie, I really want (lust?) a Versys as a play toy! That 650 motor is SO MUCH FUN! but, have to have a two up bike for the occasional rides with mama or one of the kids.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
JerryH
Vintage Rider

The Nomad is a beautiful bike. I prefer it to the Goldwing. For one it actually looks like a motorcycle, it is far simpler than the Goldwing, both mechanically and it lacks all the worthless gadgets of the Goldwing, many of which are even worthless in a car. It has just enough vibration and exhaust noise to make a long trip relaxing, and seems well suited for two up riding. It's also a whole lot cheaper than an 1800 Goldwing. Like the Goldwing, it is a bit big and heavy for running around town, but it should be hard to beat as a long distance tourer.
1980 Puch moped
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Not sure how to post pics here but I have an 08 Nomad and 98 Vulcan 1500a. Both are great bikes and very reliable. They are great bang for your buck bikes. I ride one or the other just about daily
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #23
kojack OP
My Hardley is a POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
Ha ha. I am the opposite. When I had the Vulcan, and now with the Connie, I really want (lust?) a Versys as a play toy! That 650 motor is SO MUCH FUN! but, have to have a two up bike for the occasional rides with mama or one of the kids.
Oh.....I still have the versys. This is just another bike. Ha ha. I love everything with 2 wheels.

I'm on the hunt now for a Vulcan 1500 that was the more compact version. I can't remember the letter designation. It had its air filter ahead of the engine something like the Virago

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #24
kojack OP
My Hardley is a POS

Here is the 1500 Vulcan I want.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #25
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Here is the 1500 Vulcan I want.

That is a custom, but the bike it is based on is the ORIGINAL Vulcan 1500. Also known as a BUBF. (butt ugly but fast) I got that nickname after the Vulcan 1500 Classic came out with barely enough power to get out of it's own way. The original Vulcan 1500 had 2 carbs (the Classic had 1) and was just about dead even with the 750 performance wise. Kawasaki announced it as their first "non performance" motorcycle.

This is the bike you are talking about: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBA&dur=457
1980 Puch moped
Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #26
kojack OP
My Hardley is a POS

Yeah. Looks a lot like a dyna. But cooler as it's a kawi. Only thing I would do is polish the wheels.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
manban9888
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That is a custom, but the bike it is based on is the ORIGINAL Vulcan 1500. Also known as a BUBF. (butt ugly but fast) I got that nickname after the Vulcan 1500 Classic came out with barely enough power to get out of it's own way. The original Vulcan 1500 had 2 carbs (the Classic had 1) and was just about dead even with the 750 performance wise. Kawasaki announced it as their first "non performance" motorcycle.

This is the bike you are talking about: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBA&dur=457
I have the dual carbed bike. It's the 1500a model. It ran from 87 to 99. I have the 98. It's a great bike
Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #28
kojack OP
My Hardley is a POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
I have the dual carbed bike. It's the 1500a model. It ran from 87 to 99. I have the 98. It's a great bike
I have heard only positive about it. The bikes are being tossed at me fast and furious now. My friend just offered his beloved dyna wide glide 105th anniversary. It's babied, and like new. Hmmmm.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #29
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Even more rare is the spoke wheeled version of the early 1500s. The C?

I bought a Vulcan 88 as they were called, new on 9/9/88. As bad a bike as I've owned. Widely varying oil consumption - used oil anytime the temp's got above 80F. Engine knock if the carbs weren't kept in synch. Seat came apart. Etc., etc. Kawasaki extended the warranty. Final straw was the tail light burning out, left turn signal wire smoking, clutch started slipping and the gas tank sprung two leaks while doing a 1000 mile weekend charity ride. Kawasaki made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Still it was a smooth, comfortable road machine, so I bought a lightly used '96 in '97. Vibrated like a bastid, sounded funny. Dealer took it back. Between my experiences and things like the plastic oil pump gear, I must admit I've never seen the fascination, and am genuinely surprised when I see a high mileage example.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
manban9888
Adventurer

The plastic oil gear was never a problem on the 88 Bubf A model. It was a bit of an issue on the classic and a pita on the Nomad. I have the 98 1500a and absolutely love it. All the Vulcan 1500 and 1600 bikes have the well known clutch spring issue so I preemptively changed it to the Barnett spring w Judge washers so my clutch has been perfect. When the bike was 12 years old I reupholstered the seat and upgraded the lighting package so my brake lights and rear lights work together and the front lights to a nicer Harley style. All bikes have issues and it helps to learn all you can about your bike to address it ahead of time. I will always keep this bike and rebuild and restore it when the time comes though that won't be for a while as it runs great and fast