Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #31
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
True dat about knowing the bike to address issues ahead of time. But remember this was a second year model back in '88 when research wasn't as easy as now. Apparently I got to be a beta tester. Shame really because, as I said, it was a smooth, comfortable bike and had good power. I did put up with the crap for almost 15K miles trying to make it work.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #32
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
True dat about knowing the bike to address issues ahead of time. But remember this was a second year model back in '88 when research wasn't as easy as now. Apparently I got to be a beta tester. Shame really because, as I said, it was a smooth, comfortable bike and had good power. I did put up with the crap for almost 15K miles trying to make it work.
Yeah..there's no way you would've had back then all the info available today. The info available today is amazing and has helped me many times to keep my rides in great shape. My Vulcans have given me tons of trouble free miles and I enjoy every minute on the road w them.
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #33
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Yep. Hit a Nomad I *really* wanted. Great shape, right extras, fair price. But, turned out it was one of the years with the troublesome plastic oil pump gear. Threw it back. Damn, I liked it, but the teardown to replace one gear wasn't worth the money.......
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #34
manban9888
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
Yep. Hit a Nomad I *really* wanted. Great shape, right extras, fair price. But, turned out it was one of the years with the troublesome plastic oil pump gear. Threw it back. Damn, I liked it, but the teardown to replace one gear wasn't worth the money.......
The Nomad w the pog issue was the 99. After that all Vulcans have the steel oil gear. There is Judges oil gear that can be installed without a complete teardown so that is a much more cost effecient fix. IMHO my 08 Nomad is the best bang for your buck bike for a tourer/cruiser. I love multi day trips on my comfortable and reliable Nomad
Old 06-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #35
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
is that an extra gas tank on back or a mini keg of beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRconvertible View Post
2012 Voyager. I use it for touring and Ironbutt rides.

9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #36
kojack OP
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondsflat View Post
I know what it would be if it were my bike. Ha ha.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #37
DRconvertible
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Yes.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #38
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,623
The one weakness cruisers have as touring bikes. Small gas tanks. My Vulcan 750 goes on reserve at around 130 miles. But that has not kept me from racking up the miles.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #39
DRconvertible
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The one weakness cruisers have as touring bikes. Small gas tanks. My Vulcan 750 goes on reserve at around 130 miles. But that has not kept me from racking up the miles.
There's only a few things I wish Kawasaki would have done differently with the Voyager and the number one thing is added fuel capacity. 5.3 gallons just isn't enough for me. Because the tank is basically common between all the Vulcan 1700s, I understand why they did it, but at under 200 miles per tank, it drove me nuts.

I anticipated close to 45 miles per gallon, and I can get 50 on slow two lanes, but at real freeway speeds, I've been getting 38-40 mpg and 200 was it, and stretching it at that.

With the five gallon beer keg on the back I can ride at any speed I want and still get over 300 miles between fuel stops (the max per fuel leg per Ironbutt rules).

The bike is good. With a PC5 I've got the engine mapped nearly perfectly and the 1700 is a really good engine when it's running with a proper AFR. Some people have complained of clunky or whiney transmissions. Not mine. It's quiet and shifts smoothly. A Russell seat is truly good for all day (1509 miles in 23 hours and 40 minutes). A larger, vented shield gives great protection and hand shields and heated grips keep the hands comfortable. I swap between the mid-forward footboards and the passenger boards to keep comfortable and the tank doubles as back rest.

It is a good cruiser-based tourer that could be great with 7 or more gallons of fuel, a center stand, and a few better trim pieces powdercoated or painted instead of plastic chrome.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #40
manban9888
Adventurer

That's a sweet looking Voyager. I like how you increased your range. There's nothing like the open road on a comfortable trusty steed
Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #41
kojack OP
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 969
Put a couple of miles on my vulcan 800 the other day. Few observations....I'm to short for the highway pegs, and seat needs upgrading. Other than that she's pretty good. Needs some general maintenance. New rear shock and front springs, seals and fork oil. And a 're pack of all bearings.

kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #42
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561

2007 1500 Classic. FI, Shaft drive, Liquid cooled. Arizona to Canada, down the coast, mountains of Colorado, redwoods, Pikes Peak. Zero problems. What more could you ask for?

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #43
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Put a couple of miles on my vulcan 800 the other day. Few observations....I'm to short for the highway pegs, and seat needs upgrading. Other than that she's pretty good. Needs some general maintenance. New rear shock and front springs, seals and fork oil. And a 're pack of all bearings.

You mean the stock pegs or aftermarket highway pegs in front on those? I have a 34" inseam, and am a perfect fit on my Vulcan 750. I have seen many people install the Kawasaki engine guard, and put pegs on that. Those are too forward for me, my legs are almost straight. That puts a lot of stress on your legs
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #44
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
First one, then t' other.

argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #45
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
I just got me a 2011 Vaquero for long rides and touring. Planning to break it in at the end of the month with a ride out to SLC, UT and back just to get me some IN-N-Out Burger.

It came with a taller windscreen for the long rides and I added a set of Cobra Tri-oval slip on mufflers as soon as I got it home. I've only put about 150 miles on it so far but I'm loving it.