Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,511
+1 on Scorpion helmets. I got my 700 in white for $99 delivered. The only issue is the weight and noise. They are not the lightest or the quietest helmets around, but they get the job done.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Held Steve gloves. Schuberth C3 helmet (quiet and light). Gerbings jacket liner.
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #18
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,989
Motoport stretch ultra ii pants with quad armor.

7 years old, faded, ugly, clunky and hot as hell in the summer. They're so comfortable, functional, versatile and i feel so bulletproof in them I couldn't imagine ever getting rid of them. The more gear I try the better they get.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #19
MXG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
AXO motocross gloves, circa 1986-87. Best MX gloves ever!!!
MXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Shoei X-9, and crash test approved!

It set my expectations too high for my Hornet to possibly meet!
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
Phineas Whipsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Garmin Zumo 665 paired with a Sena SMH10 headset with earbuds. Total connectivy, XM & MP3 hi fidelity stereo. Held Steve gloves, Revit Sand jacket & pants, Dainese Fulcrum boots...like bedroom slippers with protection.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #22
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,242
Rally 2 Pro: damn near cried when they cut the first one off me.

Sena SMH10 connected to my IPhone. just a great piece of kit.

BMW Transition 2 boots.

Gasoline. Lots and Lots of Gasoline...

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #23
Neon
Act invisible

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
I would have to say as a cheap bmw owner that the scorpion brand helmets are a great deal. I'm on my second Ex 700, they are quiet, fit well and of course inexpensive. I think i got this one online for ~ $150.

I'm in the market for some mesh pants, as my first gear mesh tex has most of the zipper tabs broken off. So if there are better alternatives I would like to know of them.
Eric -
I love my Sorpion helmet also. Regarding mesh pants...you want the best? Motoport Kevlar Airmesh II. Zipper issues bug the crap out of me... become a Buddhist because these pants will last several lifetimes.
Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #24
Travman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
There are a couple of pieces of gear that I've had for a few years and would buy again to replace.

Tourmaster Deerskin Gloves (Tan) - I like the look and they have molded to my hand and so they fit, well like a glove.

TSX Gore-tex Air Boots - Mine say Qutar on them, the original boot maker. Roomy toe box and by changing the type of socks I have worn these in temps from mid 20's to 110. Great to walk around in as well.

Honorable Mention - Klim Traverse Jacket - It is not intended as an on-road jacket but it works and fits great with the right armor. I have D3O in the shoulders and back and Knox in the elbows. By changing from t-shirt to long and heated liner, can go from mid 80's down to mid 20's. It has also kept me bone dry through several day long rain storms.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
For me it't my Aerostich roadcrafter two piece.

This has made commuting to work (my round trip now is a bit over 100 miles) in almost every condition while wearing a suit and tie. (Ok in very hot weather I will put the suit in the topcase but usually only need to do this on the way home.)

It's made 6,000 miles plus trips in all kinds of conditions easy for me as I just don't have to worry about taking lot of diferent gear for the conditions.

It's made using my bike as a practical means of transportation without the usual hassels of gearing up. (How can you argue with 15 seconds to put on the Roadcrafter?

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
I"d submit my old Hein Gerike "Touareg" suit. 15-16 years old now, bought from NewEnough Leathers for about 20% of it's retail cost ($250 IIRC). CE armor, foam back pad, Goretex, full insulated liners up & down, leather overlays on shoulder, elbows, & knees, reflective patches, all standard today, but these were all the goodies available in those dark times. The venting wasn't quite adequate & the suit soon got relegated to winter wear, but that's where it really shines. Still waterproof, zippers all still smooth & working, warm & dry from Oct. to March up here in New England. I noticed that "MCN", the brit bike newsletter, listed the current "Touareg II" as one of their top 5 jackets last year. Given that it was probably sitting in a warehouse for 2-3 years before I bought it, it may be close to 20 years old by now & still performs well (but looks like it has "character"). Since I only use it 1-2 dozen times a year (depending on our winter) it should last me the rest of my riding days & still be useful to which ever of my heirs rides.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
geoprofjon
Geoprofjon

Oddometer: 49
Recently, I purchased 2 pairs of riding shoes. The first ones are Alpinestars SMX-1 and the other is the new Icon Tarmac II shoe. I have to say that the protection and ventilation were worth every dime!
'99 Husqvarna WR250
geoprofjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #28
Floridalawdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I really love my Alpinestars Durban gear for long rides in the cooler weather. But, I recently purchased a pair of the Drayko jeans with the Kevlar sewn into them for when I don't wear the full suit. These things look like a 300 dollar pair of jeans. Comfy enough to wear anytime, and good looking enough for hanging out in the club. New favorite, because I see myself wearing them all the time.
Floridalawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #29
OSUFZ1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Held Steve gloves
Sidi Canyon boots
Airhawk seat
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #30
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidhunter View Post
I just picked up a pair of their elk skin roper competition gloves that I like better than all the other gloves I've used. 'Stich makes good stuff
I have 4-5 pairs of great gloves, but my competition ropers are the ones I reach more most often by a long shot. Definitely not the most protective, stylish or waterproof, but damn they are comfy and easy to live with.

I also have to give a nod to my old 'Stich. Haven't worn it much in the last couple of years, but pulled it out for a ride to work the other day. Like old bedroom slippers, easy on, and off, comfy and effective. I almost miss the "you must be hot in that thing" comments too
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote