Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,190
Restoring a ladle

The Ladle,

It might appear to be a ladle you would find in the 50% off bucket in front of an Army/Navy store in Cape Cod (it was) but is much more than that, it is the glue that holds together a group of Boston college students who have now graduated and grown into adulthood.

This is the vessel they drink from on special occasions, weddings, birthday's, Boston teams championships...well not that one yet ok I'm a NYer and my daughter is now a legal Bostonian through a marriage that happened last week.

The ladle was present at said wedding and although I am not the keeper of the ladle I am the custodian and the repairs are my responsibility. I had received it once before when the spot weld had broken separating the bowl from handle which I was told made the "ladle dance" very lame. Because it is stainless steel I chose to rivet it which did last a few years unlike any Red Sox winning streak.

The rivets had to go...

I chose Stainless Steel button bolt and lock nut to preserve the correct tipping action with no "wobble"

pvangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
pvangel OP
Team AARP

The ladle now being structurally sound needed some cleaning up, it was showing it's age like the group of now 28 yr old's that had all met freshman year at Northeastern University. As we all know now presentation is everything so a fitting stand was needed to show the ladle off and whats better than Diamond plate, well a lot but I had some in stock.

Some cradle holes,

Some jigsaw work,

My homemade "brake",

Aluminum bends easy,

I made some adjustments but you get it,

Old 06-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
pvangel OP
Team AARP

The handle which was firmly attached now was down to raw wood and dented from being dragged down the cobble stone streets of the North End, there were nicks from the Granite curbstones which line the streets of the waterfront and aside from the smell of many different forms of libations that have been shared from this family chalice when I started to sand the wood I could smell the ocean permeate from the fresh wounds I had inflicted that revealed the many trips to Cape Cod.

Some Polyurethane took care of that!

Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
pvangel OP
Team AARP

The handle now is looking better but still resembles a plunger handle albeit a nicely finished plunger handle.

This is not a plunger but a sword. A sword needs a family crest on it, a marking that signifies all that is good in the world something to offset Tebow going to the Pats.

I started my search like Indiana Jones searching for the lost ark, it had to be perfect but it also had to not put an eye out and be able to withstand the drunken activity of a20 something Bostonian so my first choice would have been this,

But was thinking something more like this,

I was worried that would not make it through a nite at the Union Oyster House, might poke a Kennedy in the eye and..... well problems...

pvangel screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 02:11 PM
Old 06-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
pvangel OP
Team AARP

This septor had to have something special on it so my hunt continued and took the time to research the meaning of the ladle and it's roots, I found that it went all the way back to the Queen and as you can see she is holding the English version which appears to be upside down, which was explained by noted Boston historian Clifford Claven," The Queen was served from a ladle and never actually would touch it and that is why they drive on the wrong side of the road there"

I checked my tchotchky shelf for something....no good.

2 trips to the hardware store and nothing, my search would continue.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Since the Hardware store was a bust the only logical thing to do next would be the Jeweler until I spied this on top of my lovely wife's (Sister Mary Margaret but that's another story) antique lamp.

Not enough "bling" but I was on to something... They were everywhere.

The bed even had one!

Sister Mary Margaret was on to me at this point, I had never even seen a lamp in the house let alone a curtain rod and she couldn't figger out what was going on?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
pvangel OP
Team AARP

The rolling pin went by my head as I pulled the rug from under her feet, it had tested the shave from my 5 bladed Fusion earlier this morning because any closer and it would have taken me out, she hit the bottom of the stairs and I turned in horror to see this,

Not good.... But I had seen it, I needed it, just had to get past her...

It was perfect... I was on a mission for god...

pvangel screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 03:38 PM
Old 06-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Wait...I am getting my movies mixed up....

The topping or crown to the ladle had eluded me till this point, it was right in front of me, i only had to get it down and into my secret lire ,er ,em ..garage. I did what no man has done before, my palms sweated and my throat was dry, a drip of perspiration dripped from my brow (it was not a tear) as I faced off with her, I had to do it..."Honey can I have the little thingy on the end of the curtain rod in Stinkies room?" She stood in front of the picture window with a gray sky as her backdrop and as she turned to me the sky opened up and a ray of sunshine washed her back casting a warm glow or you could say a halo around her, she was never more stunning! She licked her lips and batted her eyes and with a wink she said...." sure, whatever." I was up the stairs before I heard the last part and the crown jewel was in my possession, I hope these kids appreciate my fathers day of hard work....
Old 06-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,791
Ever heard of red solo cups?
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
pvangel OP
Team AARP

I fired up my laser guided drill to pierce the center of the staff so it could accept the crown jewel, i mean curtain rod endy thing.

ANOTHER trip to the hardware store,

And it's on!

I will continue applying Polyurethane at 1:45 intervals throughout the night with a sanding with 500 grit paper to have the perfect shine and protection of 24 coats.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
Ever heard of red solo cups?
I think they use those for some other kind of drinking game?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Although the Ladle is in better condition than when it was unearthed from the deep bins marked 50% off it has become a symbol, the future of Bostons young people and is too valuable to be rolling around in the back of a Honda Civic, it needs a case, or chest, or.......Ark

The story will continue....
Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,031
I'm guessing you ride a BMW?

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I'm guessing you ride a BMW?

Hell no Maybe when i get old...

Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,286
wtf

this thread has me so confused, as a drunken reader, that I'm going to subscribe to it for updates
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: