User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
snofrog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
foot down cornering

When did moto-gp start doing this and why ? In the last hundred or so feet leading into left hand corners (a few right handers but disproportionally left ) they drop a foot . Why ?
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
AFAIK it started with The Doctor who made a pass on the inside of the inside curb, ADV style, put his foot out (instinctively?) and pulled it off.
Being superstitious like most riders are, he kept sticking his foot out even if he wasn't making passes in the dirt anymore.
Other riders started copying it because hey, if Rossi does it then it must work.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
I don't know why they do it in Moto-GP. But in Moto-X it's not actually foot down (like to keep from low-siding), rather it is leg & foot forward for weight transfer. While this could become dabbing a foot down to save it, that's not why it's done by nearly every rider corner after corner.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
snofrog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Thanks
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
It's weight transfer , like sticking a knee out , but they're not putting their foot DOWN. If you dabbed your foot at speed on asphalt you better have on a rollerskate.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Rossi explained it for him a few years back that his knees are getting old and it just helps to stretch them out
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Airbrake.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,409
I can remember a few years ago when Valentino Rossi started sticking his leg out coming into corners. He did it more for left turns than for right, but did it on both sides. Others started doing it too, because it actually helps a little. Sticking the leg out puts a little bit more weight on the front tire, which is very close to the limits of traction when they do it. It also gets a little bit more weight to the inside of the turn which also helps.

When I'm going super slow and making tight turns, like in my driveway or at work in the motorcycle parking area, sticking my inside leg out to balance can make a difference in controlling the bike when the only other option might be to accelerate a bit instead - or put a foot down. So I do it sometimes to help balance - never for maximum breaking, though.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 645
Funny as it looks, guys like Valentino ride at such a high level they can pretty do whatever they want.

Cept now the squids will start hanging legs out thinking it helps their riding. Only thing squids can do to be better riders is get some training. But that's like asking the choir in hell to sing gospel songs.

Oh hey, when making slow tight turns, its better for balance to keep your feet on the pegs and in contact on the bike. Slow tight turns are done by:
Body central on the bike, leaning opposite the bike lean, clutch engaged, steady throttle, drag the rear brake, turning the head/eyes where you want to go. Sticking a leg out is a substantial part of body wieght and actually does more to un-balance the bike/rider combo.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
Oh hey, when making slow tight turns, its better for balance to keep your feet on the pegs and in contact on the bike. Slow tight turns are done by:
Body central on the bike, leaning opposite the bike lean, clutch engaged, steady throttle, drag the rear brake, turning the head/eyes where you want to go. Sticking a leg out is a substantial part of body wieght and actually does more to un-balance the bike/rider combo.
I know that I could always get up on the pegs and do a lot of other stuff, like a trials rider, to get better low speed control, but for three seconds of tight maneuvering when I've just started the bike, sticking a leg out is "easier". Maybe if I were a few decades younger I would do it the "right" way, but this works for me.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,748
Rossi is just airing his balls out. When yer nuts are that big, they generate a LOT of heat..........leg acts as an air intake.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
Rossi is just airing his balls out. When yer nuts are that big, they generate a LOT of heat..........leg acts as an air intake.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
-Macca-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
There is also a train of thought that the leg hanging out acts as a pendulum/damper and helps absorb some of the movement/wiggle the bike has under hard braking.

How true that is I'm not sure, but it sorta makes sense.
-Macca- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofrog View Post
When did moto-gp start doing this and why ? In the last hundred or so feet leading into left hand corners (a few right handers but disproportionally left ) they drop a foot . Why ?
He isnt doing it moto X style, he's using his inner foot for balance
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
reminds me of a weekend trip I went on with 3 other riders, one of the guys although he's been riding for years, he only rides maybe 1000 miles a year and had no real gear. We've in the Adirondacks on a cool October morning, this guy was riding a V-Rod the rest of us are on adventure bikes, V-strom & couple GSs, I was riding sweep, all I could think was how cold the V-Rod guy's nuts were with the 35 air whistling up the pant legs of his loose fitting jeans

I keep my feet on the pegs, even winter riding on snow & ice, with a 500lb bike, sticking your leg out is a good way to get a fracture from compression
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote