User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 925
A new face for KTM

Finally got my winter/spring projects completed, barely in time for a trip to Wyoming and Colorado...trails, camping, fishing...

In no particular order:

Ditched my h4 halogen hid conversion (the OEM reflector really is crap) mostly because the sliding bulb that the solenoid pulls in and out for low beam, high beam, had become loose and was making my light flicker up and down all the time. In its place (another hundred man hours or so) a custom install on a Morimoto projector hid. In the process I reversed the headlight adjuster so that (future project) I can adjust the light up and down while riding...I love the idea of a very sharp cutoff but think I will only live with it if I can always have the top edge of the beam in line with the horizon. I will probably do this adjust on the fly by means of a rotary actuating cable with a knob that turns on the dash. For now I will have to reach under the fairing to adjust it before a trip.
Part of this headlight mod meant gutting the headlight shell of the reflector. This left a big space at he top. I installed an Advmonster 30 spot LED here to help the high beam. I did put the heat sink on the outside of the headlight shell but I am still not sure if the electronics will handle the environment too well. At least if it dies it will still look the part...it fills the space nicely.

I added two more switches to the HDB - one spare and one to kill the Advmonster light

I also installed Rigid D2 driving LEDs on the BDCW lower triple clamp bracket. Yes I do a lot of night riding and yes there are a lot of deer round here. I even rode past a bull elk standing on the side of the road one time. Didn't even have time to touch the brakes as the OEM headlight was so bad!

image by Roundoz, on Flickr

Converted to a high mount fender. This was fairly straightforward, though I added Kreiga fork socks underneath and attached the aluminum brackets that support the leg protectors under the plastic, not over it, for a pretty clean look. I shortened a stock windshield (thanks Yellowpig) and painted it with plastic primer and satin black. Shortened my Zumo mount to tuck it in closer and angled it up more to enable better viewing while standing.

I made my own bar riser. I love my hdb guards and top plate but couldn't find a bar riser that would keep it oriented the right way while moving the bars mostly forward and a little more up. This was a simple "C" shaped piece of 1/2" aluminum plate that moves my already hdb-raised bars a half inch higher and 2" further forward...I hope it does the trick...always felt like I was falling off the back of the bike while standing (stop press...got back from a gravel road ride, where I took some of the pix and am very impressed with how much more natural the standing position is!)

In the image above you can see the wrapped wires that run into the tankbag. I used to have an outlet both for charging the bike and charging cell phone etc inside the glovebox. I made this jumper because i usually have the tankbag on all the time these days. Also, a benefit of the bar riser/forwarder is that I could push the tankbag further forward and gives more room for the wedding tackle when standing. Yeah it isnt amazingly pretty - I dont have access to a mill...this was all done with a drill press and bandsaw, file and sandpaper. However, one of the best mods I have ever done!

Fashioned my own side toolbox from aluminum. It is oval in cross section to mimic the Remus 2-1, though probably twice the size. There is probably 150 man hours in this but I taught myself to mig aluminum in the process. It's highly polished, though I hope and expect a good weathered patina will cover it pretty quick. Shiny belongs on Harleys, but I didn't think I could get paint to stick to it too long where it is. It has hidden catches and I could padlock if needed. It holds my stupidly comprehensive toolkit and 3 tire levers. I moved my spare tubes to the space inside the upper fairings...one side used to contain the ballast for the old HID and a dimmer for my old LED's. The dimmer died but the wiring is still there if I find a more hardy one. Having the LED's on (dimmed) on lowbeam is probably a good idea to aid being seen and recognized as a motorcycle

Lastly, I finally got around to hooking up with TuneEcu, adjusted my TPS and installed the 2012 R map, mostly to try to smooth out the 3-4000 rpm dead spot. I should say that most of the hunting and dead spot disappeared when I switched to the 2-1 pipe. If the R doesn't work to do the final smoothing I will try Powertripps 2-1 map. That software is so cool...can't believe it is free! Have yet to form any opinions on how the bike runs now. it has been months since I rode the bike. It does seem to have more top end, which is to be expected with the R map.

Thanks everyone for the inspiration and ideas I have freely stolen from you all over the last few years. Maybe a ride report coming for the Wyoming jaunt...

RoundOz screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 09:11 PM
RoundOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
CMurgel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
nice setup!

I have the same Jesse Lugage mount that you have, but could not fit thr Remus 2-1system. How did you do it?
CMurgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Thanks!

It is a Remus Revolution Ti...I don't think that is the Remus that is usually offered for 9x0's anymore. The collector is from CJ Designs. I think all the 9x0 Revolutions are the same size, just that the Ti are supposed to be slightly lighter and last longer. Other than that, no secret...it fits with plenty of clearance. If i were to do it again I would probably buy a left-side pipe to install on the right (the Revolutions at least are physically identical) just so the big Remus label wasn't easily visible, but that is just me.
I love the Jesse boxes but the mount makes several things difficult...I wouldn't have built my own toolbox if I could have fitted Craig's out of the box. Even before that I would probably have fitted the Adv fuel tank...also doesn't fit. That being said I wouldn't change for other boxes...I don't like the look of KaTuMs with wide motherly hips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMurgel View Post
nice setup!

I have the same Jesse Lugage mount that you have, but could not fit thr Remus 2-1system. How did you do it?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Cris
AB+

Oddometer: 129
VERY nice work!

I have a pair of Rigids on my bench, but since my Baja has a great set of LEDs out of the box, the Rigids will be going on my Jeep.

Thanks!
Cris
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Golevi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Nice job, man!!!

RoundOz, you did a most excellent job here, bud!

Can hardly wait to see how these lights work at night...

Am looking forward to our Wyoming ride!!!!!!

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Thanks much

It is quite a relief to have the major appliance back on the road.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
High Temperature Cut-out

I think those LED units have a high temperature cut-out that reduces light output when the unit gets too hot.

I have a similar 4 LED (3600 Lumens) unit that needs some air flow to keep the high temperature cut-out from kicking in.

Once cooled down, output goes back up.

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
CMurgel
Adventurer

Can you post a picture of the right side? I have the Remus 2-1 with its colector and it does not fit with Jesse mount. love the Jesse lugage also but the mount is very restrictive and I can not place the Cj's thank neither my brand new Remus.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
It is a Remus Revolution Ti...I don't think that is the Remus that is usually offered for 9x0's anymore. The collector is from CJ Designs. I think all the 9x0 Revolutions are the same size, just that the Ti are supposed to be slightly lighter and last longer. Other than that, no secret...it fits with plenty of clearance. If i were to do it again I would probably buy a left-side pipe to install on the right (the Revolutions at least are physically identical) just so the big Remus label wasn't easily visible, but that is just me.
I love the Jesse boxes but the mount makes several things difficult...I wouldn't have built my own toolbox if I could have fitted Craig's out of the box. Even before that I would probably have fitted the Adv fuel tank...also doesn't fit. That being said I wouldn't change for other boxes...I don't like the look of KaTuMs with wide motherly hips.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
I think those LED units have a high temperature cut-out that reduces light output when the unit gets too hot.

I have a similar 4 LED (3600 Lumens) unit that needs some air flow to keep the high temperature cut-out from kicking in.

Once cooled down, output goes back up.
I was thinking that was the case. Its one of the reasons I bought a 30...less amps, less heat...I took 2 x 44s off the bike. The main reason though is the narrower beam. I am not a fan of the broad beam lights for highway use. They reflect back off signs too much for my liking.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Quote:
Can you post a picture of the right side? I have the Remus 2-1 with its colector and it does not fit with Jesse mount. love the Jesse lugage also but the mount is very restrictive and I can not place the Cj's thank neither my brand new Remus.....
Yes. You will have to give me a few hours.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Quote:
I will be pretty busy tonight. Can u pm me an email address to send them to and you will have them asap
Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

From Maxvert:
"One note for those with the old Jesse rack system.The right bracket from the passenger peg to the front of the rack will have to be modified."
Not sure if this applies to you re situation.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

As you may be able to see below, there is plenty of room around the pipe...3/4" clearance. Maybe yours is a Remus Roxx, or maybe old style Jesse rack

Untitled by Roundoz, on Flickr

Untitled by Roundoz, on Flickrj

I don't know how much clearance there is from
the front bracket of the jesses to the remus, but it is adequate.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
CMurgel
Adventurer

Thanks Roundoz!

My problem is that the Remus 2-1 does not fit with the Jesse Mount and I don't know what to do. I have contacted Al and he is looking for my problem, hopefully he will find a solution.

Thanks for everything!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Sell your pipe and 2-1 and buy a Revolution and 2-1 from CJ Designs. As long as the Jesse rack hasn't changed since 2010 it should all fit easily. Anything ekse looks like it will be custom fitting which means finding a good metal fabricator or exhaust guy.