ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
indr OP
.
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: .
Oddometer: 501
Alternator to R/R Wire Gauge

...

indr screwed with this post 02-22-2015 at 10:34 PM
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: The Paris of Appalachia
Oddometer: 11,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by indr View Post
16 or 14?


amperage?

http://electrical.about.com/od/wirin...twiresizes.htm
__________________
1Paul 2:15
For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;... .
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer
 
broncobowsher's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Baking in AZ
Oddometer: 1,587
Field wire?
Turn on wire?
Output wire?
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer
 
doxiedog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: CENTRAL VALLEY, CALIF.
Oddometer: 932
Works best with a bigger + on the output to batt.
It stoped burning them out on my sv650.
__________________
Snot nosed 68 yr.old kid.
I ride because, it lets my soul out to play. .
doxiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,840
If you have a 240 watt alternator, it's capable of delivering 20 amps. For that, you need 12 gauge. Divide wattage by voltage to get amperage.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: central USA
Oddometer: 6,162
up to 40 amp 3 phase you can use 18 hypalon (does not melt) on the ac leads to the reg and 12 Hypalon to the battery. If you use high amps or long run , then 10 Hypalon to the battery. 35 to 50 amp single phase use 12 hypalon to RR and then 10 hypalon to battery. Hypalon is widely used for motor leads for flexibility, oil tolerance and durability. Also used in fuse links, it can take heat. If you use PVC, you need bigger.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
up to 40 amp 3 phase you can use 18 hypalon (does not melt) on the ac leads to the reg and 12 Hypalon to the battery. If you use high amps or long run , then 10 Hypalon to the battery. 35 to 50 amp single phase use 12 hypalon to RR and then 10 hypalon to battery. Hypalon is widely used for motor leads for flexibility, oil tolerance and durability. Also used in fuse links, it can take heat. If you use PVC, you need bigger.

Rod
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. All you're doing is creating heat with 18 gauge, and that heat is energy that didn't get to the regulator. The idea behind using hypalon is that it can survive in externally hot conditions that aren't necessarily caused by trying to run high amperage through small wires.

The weak link in stator-to-regulator wiring is often the connectors. They get hot from poor contacts and the hard shells melt. Some folks eliminate them and use crimped and soldered connections.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,403
I use 8 gauge for the alt to batt connection. It's $1/foot on Fleabay.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer
 
broncobowsher's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Baking in AZ
Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I use 8 gauge for the alt to batt connection. It's $1/foot on Fleabay.
Poor choice. Hard to work with and way overkill. 10 gauge can handle 60 amp alternator in a 40+ year old truck. And that routes from the engine, to the amp meter in the dash and back to the battery, so a fairly lengthy run as well. 8 gauge is probably what the battery cable to the starter is.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Poor choice. Hard to work with and way overkill. 10 gauge can handle 60 amp alternator in a 40+ year old truck. And that routes from the engine, to the amp meter in the dash and back to the battery, so a fairly lengthy run as well. 8 gauge is probably what the battery cable to the starter is.
Hard to work with? ROFLMAO.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015