User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
wvdirtbiker OP
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 211
Old Dirtbiker

I have been thinking long and hard about doing a post here but my friend wvridgerider who was with me at the time of the incident encouraged me to do a post.

A little background, I have been riding and racing dirt bikes for 46 of my 67 years without so much as a broken bone and no injury that would be considered serious.

I got rid of my dirt bike (1996 XR-280) about six years ago (just before I retired) and picked up a low mileage, well farkled DR-650.

I do not consider the DR to be a woods bike and only used it for back roads and gravel roads. I've ridden it about 25,000 miles in the 5+ years I have had it.

I have made some new riding friends thru ADV and about 3 weeks ago, I met wvridgerider and his friend Bob at Richwood, WV for a great 100 mile off road ride.
Since wvridgerider was off all week, we made plans to meet later in the week at Mahan, WV for some mostly single track riding. Another rider, tdrrider joined us for the ride.
As wvridgerider was putting on his shin/knee guards, I commented about that being a good idea. I led the ride since I was the only one familiar with that area.
We had just crossed over to the RT 61 side of the mountain and turned on a fairly tight ATV trail around the head of Johnson Branch.

I was in first gear at about 12 or 14 mph when I flet a huge impact on my lower right leg which caused me to fall on my left side.

The other two riders came running over and asked me if I was OK. I knew something was wrong and when we pulled my pants leg out of my boot, we couldn't believe what we saw.

I had hit a hidden backward facing stick that contacted my leg about 4" below my knee and at the outside edge of my shin bone.
The impact forced my foot and leg backward (see pic) with the tip of the stick slicing about 8" down the side of my shin and ending about an inch or two below the top of my boot. The wound was about 8" long, about 2" wide and an inch or more deep.

wvridgerider had good first aid kit and quickly put some gauze and an elastic wrap on the wound.

He wanted to call 911 but I knew it would take them hours to reach me and I wasn't in shock or light headed so I was able to the bike about 4 miles to a secondary paved road, another mile to a two lane highway, and about 8 miles to a friends house where I could safely leave the bike. The friend took me about a mile to the local ER.

I called my wife and she found me in the ER. She did take a picture of the would which is extremely gruesome and will not be posted here.
The ER thought I had two small bone cracks so they sent me to another ER about 15 miles away.

I laid around the second ER for about two hours without anyone even looking at the wound. Finally my wife asked one of the nurses if they realized the severity of the injury. They were under the impression that it was a small puncture wound.
My wife showed them the picture which got me some immediate attention. The injury did require surgery, 34 staples and numerous sutures but I was out of the hospital the next evening.

47 hours after the injury, I was in my daughter's van with my foot propped up on the center console headed for the beach at Nags Head, NC.

I was lucky in that I had very little serious pain but will not be allowed to put any weight on the leg for about six weeks. What a bummer during riding season.

I hope I haven't been too detailed and boring but if you take anything away from this, please use ATGATT.

here is the wound 14 days after the injury and just before the staples were removed.

This is my side panel where my boot straps were pushed against it during the impact.

Here are my new shin/knee guards that I will use from now on.

wvdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,708
Glad to see you are healing well.
I think about getting shin guards every once in a while, after I heard about your accident I've been looking at them much harder.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 396
OUCH! That looks like it hurt like hell. What kind of boots were you wearing?
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Oddometer: 1,140
I'd like to encourage you to post the wound picture... Drives home the importance of gear.

.... Or PM it to me
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjharn View Post
I'd like to encourage you to post the wound picture... Drives home the importance of gear.

.... Or PM it to me
I would also like to see the pic.
Being a southern wv'er and working in a trauma hospital in central wv.

Glad your leg will be ok. Hope for no infection and a fast recovery.
wvtaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Sheesh, did you collide with a viking spear?

I wear motocross boots everywhere, even for street rides...I look like a tool but they're comfortable and I feel safe in them. They provide good shin protection and they're plastic so thorns and things don't snag on them. Saves me the trouble of putting on separate shin guards. Currently on the lookout for a set of easy to use kneepads that won't interfere with my MX boots.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
wvdirtbiker OP
MILES2GO

Boots

I was wearing street type boots which afforded some protection but not as much as MX boots.
In this case, it wouldn't have made any difference since the entry started high and ran down the leg. I have a good set of MX boots and there is very little if any difference in height.
I had tried twice this spring to wear my MX boots but they were just too stiff and uncomfortable. I even tried some mink oil to soften them up without any success.
As soon as I'm on my feet again, I'm going to start wearing my MX boots around the house to see if they will loosen up enough to be used.
Thanks for all the well wishes.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I'll post later

After I clean the puke off of my keyboard. No really, I am glad you are getting better. Damn sticks.
jdbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjharn View Post

.... Or PM it to me
+1, pics are important
Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,615
As I read this report, the song, D.O.A. by Bloodrock popped into my head. Slightly modified lyrics, “We were riding along, and hit something in the air.” Not quite appropriate, but close. Glad you are OK, something like that you could bleed out pretty damn quick. You just never know. BTW the song is on Utube it is mandatory listening for all the new drivers/riders I know. The video is not that appropriate, but the song and lyrics are.

Glad you are going to be OK. Has someone gone back and removed the offending fence post before it claims another victim.

Dang, I read that again and it hurts me just reading.

Good healing, good thoughts.

Rod

ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,360
ALWAYS wear your MX Boots and Shin Guards! I too have been doing this for over 53 years and when I was young and bullet proof, I wore the gear during competition, but not all the time when I rode recreational. As we get older, and you know this too, we don't heal like we use to.

Thats me in the white (taken a few years ago) and note my mx boots and shin guards...also consider your elbows too. Smackin them aint so funny, as they say. Heal up and get back out there.

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
That is really disgusting. Thanks for posting and I hope you feel better. :)
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
wvdirtbiker OP
MILES2GO

Hey ragtoplvr, one of my riding buddies heard the offending stick break off, so it should not be an issue for other riders.

I was surprised at the requests for the injury picture. I didn't post it here for a couple of reasons:
1) the rules for this topic specify "no gore"
2) I don't like to see it myself. I have sent it to some friends and family but try to cover it up with one hand when I do.

I'll be willing to send it to anyone that requests it with the understanding that it is not to be posted on ADV.
Just PM me with your email address and as long as the requests don't become overwhelming, I'll send it.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdirtbiker View Post
Hey ragtoplvr, one of my riding buddies heard the offending stick break off, so it should not be an issue for other riders.

I was surprised at the requests for the injury picture. I didn't post it here for a couple of reasons:
1) the rules for this topic specify "no gore"
2) I don't like to see it myself. I have sent it to some friends and family but try to cover it up with one hand when I do.

I'll be willing to send it to anyone that requests it with the understanding that it is not to be posted on ADV.
Just PM me with your email address and as long as the requests don't become overwhelming, I'll send it.
I can attest to the fact that is indeed, gruesome. And that wvdirtbiker is an absolute beast, I can't imagine how much adrenaline he had flowing through him that enabled him to ride out of those trails and on to a hospital.

Glad you're healing well, can't wait to ride again!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,708
I wear MX boots all the time too. Think some coverage above them is a good idea too.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote