Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #46
Big bike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
My personal best day is just over 1,100 miles to do a solo SS 1000 while living in AK. I prepared for that one. 400-500 day trips are just fine most any time. My longest trip was about 6,000 miles and 3 weeks from AK to Sturgis and points yonder. I had a general plan but no real schedule or daily itinerary. I had several 600+ mile days and a 120 mile day in the Canadien Rockies. I was slack jawed at the scenery most of that day.
I've had my GSA for 2 years now and my daily miles have slowed, mostly due to 'the roads/trails travelled'. In late July I did a 425ish mile day that kicked my butt! From home in NM to Mt.Evans and Idaho Sprgs, CO for the night. I mixed in several non-paved passes and roads along with pavement for an incredible day. The hours on and off the bike were something like 14! Some slow, some fast, taking pictures, a couple wrong turns in the mountains, then finally coming off of Mt. Evans in the dark and looking for a place to stay in Id Sprgs. The next 475 mile day back home was easy, except for my stock seat.

It all depends on how hungry, comfy, and matched you and your bike are I think. I've now got a Seat Concepts seat for that matter. I drink water regularly and try to avoid lots of caffiene and sugars. I snack throughout the day instead of belly buster meals. There's nothing like a yummy meal and a cold beverage at the end of a great day though! I regularly ogle maps, google earth, and my memories for trip and route ideas. Like so many have posted on this thread, Colorado is heaven on earth for riding regardless of which tires you use. All you have to do is get there first.
Big bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #47
drsales
Wondering Why

Oddometer: 381
When I am on my way out on a vacation I try to do 550-650 miles per day for at least 2-3 days. After I arrive at the destination maybe 1-300 max. Coming home back to 500+ miles a day. Not enough vacation time to putts along.
drsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #48
kwthom
nOOb Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
It all depends on where you are. I couldn't get out of northern Texas fast enough, but could spend a week in the mountains of Colorado. Don't set a specific number of miles each day, do what you feel like. You might pass something really interesting if you have to make up specific number of miles. Remember it isn't the destination, it is the trip getting there that is important.
THIS....

Excellent material here - not much more to be added.

The biggest thing for me - is the ride just "to ride" or is there a destination in mind? If it's just "a ride", then the mileage can be all over the place. If there's a destination in mind...
Old 12-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #49
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Mileage varies according to terrain, road and weather conditions. Anyone can do 500 - 600 miles in the superslab in a day, half that in the twisties and about a quarter when you are on dirt. It translates to 8 to 9 hours of saddle time in a day. More than that and you will probably not enjoy the ride.

In the western US its hard to avoid long streches of the supreslab between good routes.
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #50
honda53rider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Little bike big miles?

I found yalls post interesting! Iv never been on a trip on a motorcycle or a road trip in anything! I know I can do 230miles in my car in 3.5 hours at 70 mph most of the way. But I have a little xs400 that im wanting to take on an adventure and Iv been looking into routes I can take in a week. Its hard to figure out how far I can really ride in a day. I want to stick to back roads doing 55-60mph and nothing any faster NO INTERSTATE! I figure if I adv 45mph moving and rode for 6 hours a day I could do 270 miles in a day spending a few hours for brakes and food. Im seeing a lot of you post that you are doing 500 miles a day and I can only imagine that you are on big BWM's or some bigger bikes eating tarmac on the freeways.

This is the idea for my trip:
6 hours of good saddle time a day
avg 45mph whille moving (back roads will be slow)
That puts me at 270 milles per day
and 1890 for a week long round trip.

So I live in Charlotte NC so that will be my starting point.
Now iv just got to figure out what direction to head...

1. Do a tour of the coast from Norfolk to Savanna.
2. Try and make it to the grate lakes/Canada (never been up there)
3. Head down to the gulf
4. Head west to the planes (probably wont be able to make it much farther than the oklahoma state line)
honda53rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #51
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 953
This day started with 1528 miles and then I had to extend the day to 34 hours to complete 2053 miles during the SS2000Gold.

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #52
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda53rider View Post
I have a little xs400 that im wanting to take on an adventure and Iv been looking into routes I can take in a week. . . . for 6 hours a day I could do 270 miles in a day spending a few hours for brakes and food. Im seeing a lot of you post that you are doing 500 miles a day and I can only imagine that you are on big BWM's or some bigger bikes eating tarmac on the freeways.
. . .
1. Do a tour of the coast from Norfolk to Savanna.
2. Try and make it to the grate lakes/Canada (never been up there)
3. Head down to the gulf
4. Head west to the planes (probably wont be able to make it much farther than the oklahoma state line)
Average speed is equally about taking shorter breaks than about going faster. Small bikes when loaded have fewer chances to pass slow traffic so the speed does go down. Then there's the vibration I have from my 360 that requires more breaks. I think your estimate of averaging 45mph is reasonable.

Is it possible for you to make an overnight trip on a weekend -- ride as far as you want on Saturday and see if you still like that distance on Sunday? If it's your first trip you'll probably spend some extra time getting into the rhythm of riding, but we are each so different that all the posts by all the riders on ADV won't tell what you can do.

I could not possibly ride 6 hours per day in the summer. When I go on a motorcycle trip I tend to ride my motorcycle. Even with gas stops, food stops and talking to other campers, summer provides 12 to 14 hours of daylight and I'll ride 8 or 9 hours.

If you don't know your range, planning a trip to the plains or lakes could make you put in longer days than you want. I'd rather have time to kill than be behind schedule. The Atlantic or gulf coasts may provide more interest plus flexibility.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #53
honda53rider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thanks Grinnin

Ya it will be hard to figure out what my millage will be but I want to have a realistic idea of how far I can go in the time line. Dont want to plan on taking 7 days to get down to the gulf and back and be down at the gulf in two days.

Also im trying to plan in free camping spots. Don't have the $ for hotel rooms, and don't know if id like to just pitch a tent anywhere! So im going to try and make stops at national forest or places that I wont get shot at for camping at.
honda53rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #54
k woo
308Master

Oddometer: 83
Hours or miles are best when irrelevant. No tight schedules, go till you feel like stopping, be it 200 or 900+ miles. A comfortable bike and good riding gear is an absolute must.
k woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #55
ta-rider
Mosungo on tour

Oddometer: 68
Well how many hours i ride depends on how nice the landscape around me is or if my visa is expiring or not but still the hours in the saddle dont say anything about the milage i do. Some days im happy to cover 20 miles while riding the whole day:

http://afrikamotorrad.eu/?report=en_westkueste

ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #56
jared p
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
depends on the trip. usually, i go off of daylight, leave at sunrise, and stop at sunset, unless wherever i am at sunset to point of sleeping is a straight shot etc and i'm not missing twisties then, meh, doesn't matter. hours or mileage, really are irrelevant, some days are 16 hours and only 400 miles, some days are 12 hours and 600 miles, some days are 18 hours and 1000 miles, so, meh
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #57
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
My last trip was very unplanned so I only had one day where I really put down some miles and ended up doing around 850 miles, but most other days were mild compared to that. One day I only did around 250, but that included Dragon's Tail, Happy Valley Road, and stops by the river, bbq pulled pork for lunch, and a lot of different sites. It was my best trip so far.

This next trip I'm going west out of Missouri so I'll probably try to get around 700 miles and into Colorado before I can get on some better, more scenic roads. Once I get out there I'll slow it down and enjoy myself.

The biggest thing is that you have to get out there and try it. It's based on your body, your saddle, your bike, and your timeline.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #58
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,010
My favorite rides are all unplanned, but I pack to be prepaired and I'm not worried about a destination. Oh and I go alone. So pretty easy for me. you will find somedays you want to ride alot and others not so much.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #59
Capri142
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
stop when you are tired

Whatever you do, how ever you ride, when you get tired it is time for a stop. Don't try to ride through any sort of fatigue. Coffe and energy drinks, never helped me. The only thing for me to do when I get tired is to either stop and take a nap or stop for the day. It is surprising how much just a 30 minute nap will keep you awake for the next few hours. Sometimes just getting off of the bike and walking around helps a lot. But whatever you do, don't ride tired.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #60
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda53rider View Post
Im seeing a lot of you post that you are doing 500 miles a day and I can only imagine that you are on big BWM's or some bigger bikes eating tarmac on the freeways.
500 miles at 50 mph is 10 hours.

Get up early, ride four or five hours to lunch. Then ride four or five hours to dinner.

The miles just disappear.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote