Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #31
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Enjoying this Martin, good work, looks like an amazing trip and some stunning scenery, do you know any more info about the German plane?
85 Vespa PK135
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #32
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 640
Totally with it!

I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone as organized on a bike as this set up is. In fact, I've learned more things here then in many other RR's all combined together. Thanks for all of the great entertainment.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #33
whereisgibson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Day 7:

Here's the trip log:

The plan today was to get to get out of the Trongheim area and head up towards the North, via route 17. Today was the definition of 'sunshine and showers'...

Checked into a hostel in Sandvik to escape the weather and dry out our tents from two days of rain.
whereisgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #34
whereisgibson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7 Day Summary.

Stats:
2451 miles covered:

Track log:

Lessons learnt:
- It definitey costs more to ride two bikes to Esjberg than to take the ferry, if otherwise in a pair sharing a cabin.
- Hostels in Norway don't appear to offer shared dorm accommodation, but rather private rooms. Traveling solo here could be expensive.
- Norway is heavily farmed and well populated (so far). This makes finding wild camps less easy than we expected. Nearly all small roads lead to a home, not to access a field.
- Ferrys aren't cheap and appear to get more expensive the further north you go. NOK 46-75 one way for a motorbike. Expect 2 or 3 per day on coastal routes.
- One could easily have a month's good riding in the South alone. Don't just head to Nordkaap!
- It's late June now. We've had daylight at night since being in Norway, and it has made us run quite late into the evening before stopping. This has meant less sleep overall due to early starts.
- No problem finding fuel. A little more than in the UK.
- Progress is not as expediant as expected. A combination of the twisty roads, road works, waiting for ferries, and passing through cities has taken the edge off us. Expect ~500km in a full day if taking the twisties / coast / ferries.
- If there's an alternative road to a tunnel, take the alternative (but be prepared to understand why the tunnel is there!).
- Gravel. No big deal, expect it in roadworks, and just blat across it. I'm on conti trail attacks.
- Wet. I don't have any all-day wet riding gear. Apparently being here in the summer is no guarantee of good weather and you do need all-day wet kit.
- Road quality so far is great. Tarmac has grip in the wet, and corners are well sign posted. Repairs are good quality too.
- Pack a lunch if you can because road-side food is not abundant. No major fast food chains (not bad thing), not many cafes, though limited hotdog/burger options in petrol stations.
- Not much traffic on the roads. Caravans, coaches and agricultural vehicles mostly.
- Midgies and mossies. Have something to cover your head whilst you camp, and a tent that stops them getting in.
- Whilst travelling through the fjords I have not seen one Norwegian Blue.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #35
whereisgibson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretchah View Post
Enjoying this Martin, good work, looks like an amazing trip and some stunning scenery, do you know any more info about the German plane?
Thanks! I looked this up - Grotli is where it is. http://exclusives.rupert-grint.us/wo...hite-in-grotli
Old 06-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #36
whereisgibson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Sorry about the weather...

Local weather forecast here: http://pent.no/forecast/Lysebotn;59.05560;6.65044
Just enter the place in the box "Søk etter sted" (search for location) and pick the one you're looking for.

It'll show you the forecast from both the major weather companies; YR.no is the government run site who gives your the forecast on NRK tv and Storm is a private company that has the weather for the other national broadcaster; TV2.

If both predict the same you'll know, otherwise you'll just have to choose which one to believe

Be careful in roundabouts and turns in general around gas stations, many trucks usually spill quite alot of diesel right after they've filled up and it's slippery as fuck when it rains. Also watch for buses and trucks in the hairpins and switchbacks. You'll lose. Every time.
Thanks for the weather update. I think we've decided not to check anymore...
Old 06-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
whereisgibson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Thanks!

Also, if it would not be too much of a bother, it would be of interest to us backwards Colonist here on this side of the pond if you would explain traffic signals/signs/road markings and road conditions as you go.
Cheers and have a great safe trip!
Hi Fritz, hopefully our summary has some info for you. Pretty similar to riding in N America tbh, signs and signals-wise.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #38
Deaks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I am loving this ride report, you have some amazing pictures. I particularly love the ones taken while on the move.
They look too good to be from your GoPro so I assume they are taken with the DSLR.
How do you manage to take them with your left hand? Is it just practice?
Deaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #39
whereisgibson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 8

Track log:

Today we got off the 17 and joined the E6, in order to pass through the Arctic Circle on the road - the 17 crosses on a ferry.

We then continued to Bodo

We took a four hour ferry over to the Lofoten islands

And arrived in Moskenes

And stayed in a hostel for the night

Old 06-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #40
24seven
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks for this great report Martin, love the video diary especially
24seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #41
Joeman68
Tanker

Oddometer: 28
I'm in!
Joeman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #42
whereisgibson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 9.

Trip log:

We wanted to take our time to explore Lofoten. We started by seeing some of the beaches. An overcast day, as you can see.

We took a ferry to get to Andoy, to the northern town of Andenes. This is where the scenery changed from picturesque to rugged, and for the first time I felt the sensation of passing through a remote landscape.

Some gravel roads but the fun looking ones were blocked.

We're stuck in town tonight as the last ferry was at 5pm. Early start tomorrow, hence the less-than-excellent hostel.

whereisgibson screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 01:59 PM
Old 07-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #43
whereisgibson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 10.

Here's the track log:

We took the ferry out of Andanes to the mainland:

It was hard to believe the weather and landscape here could be so beautiful

We're camped at Alta, just a few hundred km short of Nordkapp. We plan to spend the day there tomorrow.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #44
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Amaaazing scenery Martin glad you guys are enjoying it...really makes me want to go back to Norway and explore by bike this time :) Missing the video blogs though :)
85 Vespa PK135
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #45
whereisgibson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 11.

Trip log:

So we aimed squarely at Nordkapp, though I wanted to try a little of the old postal road first. Starting at Alta:

Then over some loose gravel:

Before getting a bit harder:

Great bike the 990. Straight back onto the twisties like the last 60 miles of offroad never happened. Next stop Nordkapp:

By definition, we're now on the way back home.

whereisgibson screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 09:54 AM