Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,533
Adventure worthy roller case for international travel

I've got some work travel coming up again, and find myself without a suitcase of any kind. I have some crappy ones on the opposite coast, but nothing I'd buy again.

So what is worth buying? It's go to fit in the overhead on international flights, as I hate checking anything. I don't know, maybe getting one of those plastic tank like suitcases the flightcrews use isn't the worst way to go, but if it ends up in Madrid and I'm in Frankfurt, then it will suck. I doubt the flight crews have to check their stuff.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
tspoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Pelican Case

I use one as my checked bag, but they make them to fit into the overhead as well.
Bultaco Model 75
PNW
tspoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,554
Unless you are going to a war zone, I would recommend staying away from Pelican looking cases. It attracts attention of customs agents.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Fubar36x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Rick Steves has a nice Euro size carry on. I have their US sized carry on and it has held up well for several years now.
Fubar36x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,294
I like heavy-duty zippers, large, heavy-duty wheels that have minimal exposed bits, and overall dimensions that maximize the limited space that you are allowed-- particularly if you're looking to avoid check-in on int'l flights, imo, one of your priorities is maximizing your volume. The int'l carry-on standard is the most size-constrained, and fitting more than a few days worth of stuff (or accommodating anything more than "breathing, crapping, and not being naked") in is tough...particularly if you're bringing over stuff for both work *and* leisure.

I find that my carry-on crap doesn't have to be nearly as bomb-proof as my check-in luggage, since I have no intention of handling my luggage like an ape. My check-in luggage looks a bit worn (not worn out, but certainly worn). My carry-on is really in damn good shape, considering that it had been used weekly for 4 yrs straight. That being said, on the occasional times where I'm on a puddle-jumper, that ran out of overhead room for 20" roll-aboards, there's definitely chances for crap to happen, and the majority of scuffs and damage have happened in these scenarios, where you have to gate check things, and you get off the plane to find a giant grease mark doing down the front of your bag. Nice. On that note: dark colors are better than light colors.

Brands? Mine are Tumi's Alpha line (mostly because I could burn amex points on them to get them for free)...not their 4-wheeled stuff...their 2-wheeled stuff. I'm sure there're others that fit the bill, but it'll be years and years before I buy another set of luggage, so I'll never know.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
ig_88e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I used a Pelican for a while when I was working in Alaska. Anywhere else it's overkill. And HEAVY. When I put my computer and a bunch of other stuff in, my shoulder hated me. I would avoid it.

I use a small duffel most of the time. I have one by Briggs and Riley that I've probably carried 3-400,000 miles. It's getting tired. I could send it for replacement, but I think I got my moneys worth.

For rollaboards my wife and I have Eagle Creek Tarmac 20s. They have a 22, that is supposed to be 'legal' but I think the 20 just fits easier in most places. They are spendy, but they are light, have some nice internal storage features, and have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I don't use it for work travel, so I expect it to last decades. Decently large wheels too.

Looking at their website, they now call it the Tarmac 20 Widebody. Not sure what dimensions changed. I would check it out in a store, not buy online.
ig_88e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 6,252
I have an Osprey non-wheel that I love, can easily fit a week's worth in, and still fit in the overhead. They now offer that same bag with wheels. I forget which model it is, but here's the website.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig_88e View Post

For rollaboards my wife and I have Eagle Creek Tarmac 20s. They have a 22, that is supposed to be 'legal' but I think the 20 just fits easier in most places.
edit: IATA says I was dead wrong... you're right, 22"s are allowed I've gotten away with my 24" on flights to the UK. I've also had to check it on flights to the UK. It's rare that they're actually looking or giving a damn.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 06:04 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
klim makes a pretty tough one
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 6,252
I see people coming onto planes with full blown hiking backpacks- the huge framed kind. What are they, 36"

Then you have the twats with multiple bags spread across multiple bins.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,028
I use a roller for work http://www.luggageworks.com/browse-p...th-22-bag.html
But it's heavy and the frame and wheels take up a lot of room that could be used for stuff.

When I'm not driving the plane I ditch the wheels and use a http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=48107-0-015

Non wheeled bags fit in more places - if you really don't want to end up checking a bag, they are the way to go.

I'll +1 the Osprey bags as well.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
I see people coming onto planes with full blown hiking backpacks- the huge framed kind. What are they, 36"

Then you have the twats with multiple bags spread across multiple bins.
Yeah, that shit pisses me off. I've seen people getting on planes with ridiculous stuff. One guy had this dried bush that was about half the size of a christmas tree. As a carryon. Yeah, I'm sure it would get messed up checked, but wtf are you bringing it on a plane. Yeah, same with backpacks and stuff. I know that if I bring something too large though, it'll be that one day I get someone actually following the guidelines.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

I might have to actually make my annual trip to a shopping mall and look at some. What I'm not seeing on most of these sites is how tall it is with the handle out. I'm 6'5", and I've used these in the past where I was hunched over trying to walk with it. Not fun in the larger airports.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
look at the Mountain hardware Rolling dufffels at Sierra Trading Post.

with their discount they aren't obscenely priced.

I have the Juggarnaut 85, it's not a carry on size but it is heavy waterproof material, has great wheels and handle and has straps to cinch it to a smaller size.

Here's a link to the carry on size
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mou...colorFamily=01
Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,179
Check out Briggs and Riley, lifetime warranty. I plan on getting one of these myself. Pricey, but we had two suitcases blow out in the middle of our trip in Italy, it was a pain.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/?gclid=C...FUVyQgod6CIACg

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: