User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
SCQTT OP
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
The Official SR400 Thread

So Yamaha brings a SR400 to Vegas and asks the dealers what they think. I think most comments were pretty positive. I think they see an opportunity to tap into the café racer crowd between the Moto Guzzi V7 & the Suzuki TU250.

From what I understand as of right now it is kickstart only (I think that might be the kiss of death)

I think they are toying with $6K MSRP, I guess that splits the difference between the V7 & the TU, but with the FZ-09 & Bolt only being $8K, I think their competition comes from within....even if the other machines are different genres.

I have an SR500 & I like it for what it is. I have ridden a TU a bit and find it fun, but way underpowered for my fat butt (still the experience is not far removed from the SR)

I have been thinking about a V7 and in the end will probably go that direction, but the SR400 is interesting.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
saltspray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Id buy a kicker SR400.
saltspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
dlmarquez
dlm

Oddometer: 79
Me too!

:cla
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltspray View Post
Id buy a kicker SR400.
dlmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 301
Not for $6k.

It is 1980's tech and not the best of it either. If they threw tubeless tires on it, a centerstand, and disc brakes it would sell for $5k.

Maybe.

The new Honda line-up at <$6K although not "retro" murders this thing in every way. Hell, the TU250 is probably as useful on the street and is less $$ with EFI.

I see a market for the bike but not at $6k. I mean honestly now, haven't they paid off the R&D/tooling costs on that dinosaur by now?

-Jake
Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,262
I think I would spend the money for one if it actually showed up in the states.
In fact, I know I would get one as soon as they showed up at the dealers.
I would not sell the TU I have, and would rather get a used sr400 (or 500) for a lower price, but the way things are going, I would jump on a new one.

And I would much rather have a kick start and not the weight of all the electric start stuff on a bike.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,623
$6K is a lot for a $4k bike, but then the TU250 costs over $4K. A 400 would have some freeway capability. And I like the kickstarter, and am ok with the wire wheels as long as it has a centerstand. The pictures show both. It is the coolest looking bike around, and even though the technology is old (which I actually like) it is a good solid bike (the Honda Rebel also has old technology, and it is almost impossible to kill one) I would likely pay $6k for it, but probably not $8500, which is likely what it would cost here OTD.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Why start a second thread on this topic? The first one has covered all of this and much more.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
So Yamaha brings a SR400 to Vegas and asks the dealers what they think. I think most comments were pretty positive. I think they see an opportunity to tap into the café racer crowd between the Moto Guzzi V7 & the Suzuki TU250.

From what I understand as of right now it is kickstart only (I think that might be the kiss of death)

I think they are toying with $6K MSRP, I guess that splits the difference between the V7 & the TU, but with the FZ-09 & Bolt only being $8K, I think their competition comes from within....even if the other machines are different genres.

I have an SR500 & I like it for what it is. I have ridden a TU a bit and find it fun, but way underpowered for my fat butt (still the experience is not far removed from the SR)

I have been thinking about a V7 and in the end will probably go that direction, but the SR400 is interesting.

Out of those four, the TU250 is the only one that even resembles the SR, it's engine is to small, and it lacks a kickstarter and a centerstand, 2 items that are worth money to me. Since putting a kickstarter on my XT225, I rarely ever use the electric starter. There is just something "right" about kickstarting your bike. I do wish the SR400 were a 500, just because it is a classic displacement for a big single. Brings back memories of the Norton Manx and BSA Gold star. Of course there is the Royal Enfield, to bad it has to be junk.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 913
It will never sell without ABS, traction control, throttle by wire, electric start, tubeless tires, 160 HP, electronic suspension, cupholders, electrically adjustable windscreen, locking hardbags, ADV sticker, hippo hands, buttplug warmer, a poster of Steve Mcqueen etc etc etc....

This is a sarcastic post if you haven't figured it out yet.

SGrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrider View Post
It will never sell without ABS, traction control, throttle by wire, electric start, tubeless tires, 160 HP, electronic suspension, cupholders, electrically adjustable windscreen, locking hardbags, ADV sticker, hippo hands, buttplug warmer, a poster of Steve Mcqueen etc etc etc....

This is a sarcastic post if you haven't figured it out yet.

It may have been meant as sarcasm, but it is probably true, given the sad state of the motorcycle world today.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

There are a couple of sr400's on display at the Laguna moto gp, one is stock and the other has some Cafe parts on it.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
kick start for me

I don't want all the convenient things that make todays bikes bland. Give me the kicker.
oldhippie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
I don't want all the convenient things that make todays bikes bland. Give me the kicker.
+100. If they bring it to the U.S. exactly as it was shown in the other thread, with a lickstarter, centerstand, and no modern crap on it, I will pay $6000 for it. I will stand in line to pay $6,000 for it. I missed the SR500, The GB500, and the W650. I figure if they do bring the SR400 to the U.S. it will be a lousy seller, and probably a one year model. But I will have one.

I would have a TU if it were a 400/500, with a kickstarter and a centerstand. I might have even bought it as is, with nothing but a centerstand added.

Newfangled modern junk. Give me a REAL motorcycle.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrider View Post
There are a couple of sr400's on display at the Laguna moto gp, one is stock and the other has some Cafe parts on it.
How about a picture.... Please.

Regards, Paul
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Some pictures of the bikes they had on display at the Moto GP race.