Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Talking Kedgi Rides the Rock...Newfoundland

Hey Guys

I have traded in Trusty, the KLR 650 I rode to Argentina

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336

on a new ride.

Got a great deal on this 2012 KTM 990, brand new, from Toys for Big Boys in Moncton, NB.

I have a week to ride, the forecast is for stellar weather up here in Atlantic Canada until July . I have just broken in the KTM. I am packing some stuff in a bag today and heading for St. John's NF to visit with my buddy, Ken.

Ken rides a KLR650 and a GS1200. He and I met a couple years ago on the Trans Labrador Highway and have become good friends.

I can't think of a better excuse to go for a shakedown cruise on the new bike than to ride over and see Ken. I have made reservations for tonight's ferry from North Sydney NS to Port aux Basques, NF. That will put me in NF or the Rock as it is known, tomorrow morning, then it's just a short 900km day to Ken's cabin near St John's.

Ken has a buddy that has ridden from NF to Argentina. I am looking forward to meeting him, swap some stories, maybe even some true ones!

We plan to get a little ride in up around Clarenville and Trinity, Bonavista Bay together before I head back to the mainland. I want to be back in time to take my next Spanish lesson. Those of you who have read my "Lobsters to LLamas" report will know I really wished I could speak more Spanish on that trip, so I have been working to fix that.

I found a Spanish teacher here in Moncton, she is originally from Colombia and I have been enjoying the challenge of trying to learn Spanish with an eye to a ride to Mexico and maybe Central America again this coming Winter.

I have a long way to go and a short time to get there and I am not even packed yet. I will try to keep this story current and send updates from the road, stay tuned...

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 04:17 AM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Hey Guys

I have been enjoying the challenge of trying to learn Spanish with an eye to a ride to Mexico and maybe Central America again this coming Winter.
Nice ride
Guess you have recovered from the trauma of the CA border crossings?
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 710
Great looking bike, have an awesome trip!

Cheers,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Wow buddy, they're gonna see you coming!
That is a plush ride. Enjoy.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Paul J Statham
Sign Maker

Oddometer: 33
Kedgi
We are heading for NFD on Saturday AM June 22. Two bikes 4 people (our spouses) I have been to NFD before with my friend on various other trips but our wives have not.
One 07 GSA one 09 F650GS We are cheating a bit because of time constrains.
We are putting the bikes on the trailer behind my truck to north Sydney from London Ontario.
My friend is coming from BC with the F650GS so look for the BC Plate and and Ont. Plate I hope we cross paths. We will be in NFD from Tues June 25 until Tues July 2 riding from Port Aux Basques to Argentia .
I read and enjoyed your Lobsters to Lima trip. We will keep our eyes out for you.
Paul
Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Hey Kedgi. If your looking for anything while your here I will be glad to help. I enjoyed your RR. It would be an honor to ride with you at some point. PM me if you have the time.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Be careful . . .

Those Newfies get drinking and can get completely out of control - I'm sure you will feel quite out of place. I heard from the cousin of my buddy's sister-in-law that it's real dangerous up there. Watch out for Bandits, make sure you have secure parking, don't drink the water and whatever you do, don't eat the food.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Dwight:

have a good trip. We were on "the Rock" many years ago and went up north to Fogo Island. How I wished we could ride our bikes there the next time. The scenery is spectacular around the Burin Peninsula.

Your bike is looking good. Hard to travel slow with that machine

See you soon, leaving July 10th and heading your way . . .

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 170
Hevy kevy

I figure that ride will take you south this winter just fine. Met a guy last weekend that raced his Honda scooter around Lake Erie in under 14 hours.!!!!! Just did 3500 km with my mate on the back. Invite to ride the lakes stands.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J Statham View Post
Kedgi
We are heading for NFD on Saturday AM June 22. Two bikes 4 people (our spouses) I have been to NFD before with my friend on various other trips but our wives have not.
One 07 GSA one 09 F650GS We are cheating a bit because of time constrains.
We are putting the bikes on the trailer behind my truck to north Sydney from London Ontario.
My friend is coming from BC with the F650GS so look for the BC Plate and and Ont. Plate I hope we cross paths. We will be in NFD from Tues June 25 until Tues July 2 riding from Port Aux Basques to Argentia .
I read and enjoyed your Lobsters to Lima trip. We will keep our eyes out for you.
Paul
Paul!

Cool!

We will almost certainly cross paths. I am at a friends gorgeous cottage on Middle Gull Pond, NF this morning. (I'll post some pictures later) I am catching the Tuesday night sailing PoB to North Sydney, so we will be opposite direction traffic. I will likely be the only KTM 990 you will see in NL.

Kedgi
Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
Nice ride
Guess you have recovered from the trauma of the CA border crossings?
Not fully....and that's why I am trying to learn Spanish....to avoid going into shock again.

This time i won't be on a schedule, to catch a boat, that I ended up missing, I sort of skipped over the Central American countries, in favour of more time in SA, knowing it was easier to return to them and do Central America again.

Kedgi
Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Kedgi OP
Banned

Made it to Middle Gull Pond!

Hey Guys

I left home, just after a nice lunch with Angele on Thursday, Noon, at the "Coast", a new restaurant in Shediac. Had one of the best if not the best hamburgers and poutine in my life Sorry no picture, maybe later, mt friend Tara who is the waitress there took a picture and i gotta get her to email it to me. Nice to have a good restaurant a couple blocks from the house!

So here I am, ready to go, travellin' very light.

Had an awesome day and a great ride to across Nova Scotia to Cape Breton and North Sydney, no wind, sunny sky and 22 degrees. You couldn't order up a better day!

I rode Nova Scotia's Sunrise Trail to Pictou.

At Pugwash, NS you can see the huge salt pile from Windsor's salt mine. Your next box of table salt may be in this pile.

It was low tide and a lot of the river estuaries looked like this

Saw lots of lobster boats along the way. Next time you have a lobster, chances are it came from along the Northumberland Straight somewhere like this.

An excellent ride on the on the winding Sunrise Trail, and then a quick balst up the Trans Canada Highway from New Glasgow eventually brought me to Cape Breton, where you soon ride right along the Bras D'Or lakes, a sailor's paradise!

Stunning Cape Breton scenery, excellent roads, no traffic, a new bike that is amazing. Life is Good!

I stopped near North Sydney, NS for my supper at Lick a Chick. I mean, why wouldn't ya?

It was good too. A chicken breast and fries...now you're talking! My kinda food!

A perfectly enjoyable afternoon!

I ended up, eventually at the Ferry to Newfoundland

Boarded

Had one beer and crashed in my cabin. I gotta tell you, travelling to Newfoundland is not cheap when you go it alone and want a cabin. $475 return. An end to a perfect day!

In the morning I faced a long ride. All the way across NF. It is a huge island. 880.9 kms from the ferry to my buddy Ken's cottage on Middle Gull Pond, just outside St. John's

Riding across Newfoundland is like crossing the Andes without the elevation changes. It was 7C when i left the boat, 27C in Grand Falls where a vicious southern wind picked up to shake the crap out of me for the next 4 hours and it was 13C when I got to Ken's in storm force winds. Crazy! I spent a lot of time adding and subtracting layers of clothes along the way.

I met Kyle, a well traveled rider, visiting from the Houston Texas area while we were on the ferry. He rode with me on his BMW 1200 as far as Deer Lake, he headed north from there, up the Great Northern Peninsula and I headed east. Nice Guy! We had a great ride in spite of some pretty chilly temperature in the early morning. If I found it cold I can only imagine how a Texan must feel.

Here's Kyle

I swung through Appleton, NF where I used to live when I was an Air Traffic Controller back in the 80's, which seems a lifetime ago. The house has been all frigged up. It was brand new when I had it. It had a garage and a beautiful Mansard roof, but here it is now.

Anyway I pushed on, did 880k in 11 hours in a pretty wicked wind and arrived at my buddy Ken's. Check this place out! Awesome!

The view from his livingroom!

The view from his deck

The view!

Ken and his beautiful wife, Michele

Ben, the squirrels are driving him nuts!

So that's where I am hanging today. Tomorrow Ken and I are going to ride up to Trinity, Bonavista Bay, it is beautiful! Stay tuned.

Tonight we drink beer and watch hockey

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 09:58 AM
Old 06-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Snazzy!

Now that's what I'd call one nice snazzy bike! Thanks for the RR and stay safe on your journey's....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
Oldone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
Clipper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thumb Riding the Rock

Its a very small world here in NL..........myself and Ken were neighbours for years!

Love the report so far!

Cheers
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Bear Creek West
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Hey!

It was good to meet you in Whycocomagh! We were the guys on the F800gs (West), and the KLR (KaHung). We decided against backtracking to meet the families and had a great night at the provincial campground just down the road.

Thanks for the advice on the translab! Enjoying your report! Safe travels, West.
Bear Creek West is offline   Reply With Quote