Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #16
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have found that most of the time, if I am on a scooter, Japanese cruiser, Goldwing, or dual sport bike, Harley riders wave back. They will not wave to anyone on a crotch rocket, neither will I, and neither do most experienced riders around here.

Harley riders tend to ride in groups, have loud pipes, and dress in weird looking clothes, though it is what they have been wearing forever. They get called outlaws and pirates. But they rarely cause any problems.

Crotch rocket riders also tend to ride in groups, have loud pipes, and dress in weird looking clothes. But they are thought of as good honest, law abiding citizens, just out to have a little fun. NOT! They have become the new outlaws, the new thugs on bikes. While Harley riders mostly ride legally and safely, most crotch rocket riders are out to break every rule in the book. From riding at ridiculous speeds over 100 mph, swerving from lane to lane, cutting through traffic where there is barely enough room at highly illegal speeds, riding on shoulders and sidewalks, doing wheelies and stoppies, all of this on public roads, causing lots of accidents. Usually however it is them that gets seriously injured or killed. By behaving like that on the road, crotch rocket riders have distanced themselves from other riders. Other riders won't associate with them, and don't want anything to do with the bad image they give ALL riders.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I have ridden sport bikes in the past. But things were a bit different then. You didn't see all the crazy riding like you do today, at least not on the street. At least the cops seem to know the difference between crotch rockets and other types of bikes.
Hey gramps, there's some kids on your lawn. RIGHT NOW!

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #17
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I haven't really noticed much difference in waving based on what I'm riding or they're riding. The first time a guy on a Harley waved at me on the scooter I seriously looked around to try and figure out who he was waving at. I had expected that no one would wave at a scooter, but had only owned said scooter for about 20 minutes at that point. Since I've figured out the likelyhood of someone waving at me is more connected to the person than the ride.

It seems the old guys quite regularly wave at me first, middle aged guys a little less regularly. Women by themselves and guys under 30 rarely wave. I'm guessing the women think I'm flirting and the younger guys think they're too cool to wave.

If a rider is in a tank top, shorts and flip flops I don't bother waving (but I'm not opposed to following to enjoy the view.)
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Bikers almost always wave at me & my Scooter

Howdy,

Bikers-especially Sport bikers-almost always wave at me when I'm out and about on my Honda Sh150i. I'd say the percentage of waves/ return waves is roughly as follows:

1. Cruisers (wave/return wave) At least 75%. The largest group, by far.
2. Sport Bikers (Wave/return wave) 90%, maybe higher.
3. All others (Including scooters) Cannot recall; Such a small percentage of total bikes I see, anyway. I'm in the Shreveport, La. area and these are down-to-earth friendly people here; I don't see snobbery from the Cruiser crowd; then again, I ride alone on my scooter-urban commuting and errands, so keep that in mind.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,975
Oh dear,yet another ghey 'do you,don`t you,do they,don`t they wave/nod/flash the headlight' thread.

I don`t wave to any fecker.
Don`t know who they are.
Don`t want to know.

Do you wave at other car drivers if you drive a car?
Do you wave or nod to other blokes pushing supermarket trollies when you`re shopping?

Didn`t think so.

I will,however,stop and offer assistance to anyone apparently broken down at the roadside.
And that applies to any form of vehicle.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Hey gramps, there's some kids on your lawn. RIGHT NOW!

Just to be clear, are you supporting sport bike riders irresponsible, dangerous, and criminal behavior? (much of their riding is actually criminal, not just breaking civil traffic laws. For example, exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 miles per hour, and reckless endangerment are class 1 misdemeanors in my state)

MANY people complain about Harley riders. When is the last time you saw a Harley rider riding irresponsibly, and putting others in danger? Most people who complain about Harley riders do so because of their supposed badass IMAGE, which is largely gone now, other than a few small hardcore groups. Yes, many of them try to carry on the look, but that's all it is, just a look. They are just out to enjoy themselves (it's kind of like role playing I guess) but they do it safely.

Crotch rocket riders are the real troublemakers. I see it almost every day. The cops are out in force on certain roads in weekends, and they have developed a system to catch them. And they do catch them, sometimes seven or eight at the time. But the idiots don't seem to learn. At the rates the cops are busting them, there are enough of the out there to last forever. Riders of other types of bikes go by mostly unnoticed. I got 2 no point speeding tickets on a Ninja 500. I'm sure I got stopped because of the look of my bike. If I was speeding it was just barely, not enough to be noticed on any other type of bike.

BTW, I'm 54, and do not have any grandkids yet. I keep waiting.

Back to scooters please?
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 766
That's a valid point with the Harley crowd. I'd never fit in with them, because I cannot worship a brand name as if it were a Golden Calf. But the true outlaw behavior is long gone, with a few rare exceptions; the violent antisocial gang members of the 1960s are geriatric patients today.

Today's Harley-heads are poseurs; and that's their business - except when it carries on into annoying behaviors that border on the obnoxious. Traffic habits and manners I can mostly overlook by giving them a wide berth. But, open pipes? When I was a kid, I thought an un-muffled engine sounded cool. Today it just sounds LOUD...irritating. I don't want to hear it; not on my machine and ABSOLUTELY not on someone else's as I'm trying to sleep in or make an early bedtime for an earlier start the next morning.

It's not unlike loud music off someone else's car. If I wanted to hear it, I easily could; by cranking up the audio and playing the mp3 - or by sawing off my muffler. But I DON'T want to hear it; and I don't think it's clever that someone else is forcing their noise onto my world.

I think it's annoying as hell - and ought to be justification for public horse-whipping. At the very least, egregious violators should have their bikes seized as "criminal tools."

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
Houndguy OP
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 49
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
That's a valid point with the Harley crowd. I'd never fit in with them, because I cannot worship a brand name as if it were a Golden Calf. But the true outlaw behavior is long gone, with a few rare exceptions; the violent antisocial gang members of the 1960s are geriatric patients today.

Today's Harley-heads are poseurs; and that's their business - except when it carries on into annoying behaviors that border on the obnoxious. Traffic habits and manners I can mostly overlook by giving them a wide berth. But, open pipes? When I was a kid, I thought an un-muffled engine sounded cool. Today it just sounds LOUD...irritating. I don't want to hear it; not on my machine and ABSOLUTELY not on someone else's as I'm trying to sleep in or make an early bedtime for an earlier start the next morning.

It's not unlike loud music off someone else's car. If I wanted to hear it, I easily could; by cranking up the audio and playing the mp3 - or by sawing off my muffler. But I DON'T want to hear it; and I don't think it's clever that someone else is forcing their noise onto my world.

I think it's annoying as hell - and ought to be justification for public horse-whipping. At the very least, egregious violators should have their bikes seized as "criminal tools."
I had a run in a few weeks ago with some Harleys. We are all traveling down a 3 lane highway and they pull out in front of me and head to the center lane. There are about 50 of them. They move into the far left lane and I move into the center lane from the right lane to pass slower moving traffic. Within a few minutes the whole group decides to merge into my lane. I'm suddenly stuck in the middle.

At a light I lean over and yell to one of the Harley riders that "I don't think I belong here!" He just laughs. Traffic starts to move and the Harleys start to pass me in my lane. It's not a comfortable place to be as I have to stop up short to avoid hitting one that cuts in front of me at the next light.

"Screw it" I mumble, I zip into the right lane and pass them all. Giving each of them a biker wave.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
scooter wavers

In New England it doesn't matter what you ride , most people will wave to you or wave back no matter what you ride. On busy weekends when everyone is out riding their bikes I think people wave less because they are sick of waving. I have noticed that small scooter people don't wave much. I think is because they are to scared to let go of the handle bars!!

Of course when you stop your scooter, HD riders are always friendly , crotch rocket riders seem a little uppity, and a lot of BMW riders act down right unsociable!
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #24
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post

Do you wave or nod to other blokes pushing supermarket trollies when you`re shopping?
Around here we do. We're friendly like that.

Most people even talk to each other.

Generally they use colorful language, and single digit waves though
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #25
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Oddometer: 181
i wave at everything on 2 wheels with a motor.... most of the time the scooters without a helmet are the ones who don't wave back. i get more thumbs up from cagers then waves or nods from scooters. harleys and sportbikes are next lowest on the wave return... dual sports, touring bikes and adventure bikes are over a 90% return rate...

Quote:
only if they're ATGATT

Jerry, what you're forgetting about those "law biding" harley riders is if you piss off the wrong one you will be in a hospital or 6ft under. it still happens just not as much as it use to.
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #26
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
I like to give the most macho motorcycle wave I can muster to the HD guys when I'm on my Zuma. Some wave back, some even begin to wave and recoil, most ignore you.

During the brief times I've been on a 'cruiser' type bike I got waves all the time from the fellow cruisers. I think now that more and more are riding the wave is being held back to just like styles of bikes. Around town here in Annapolis, we sub 50cc scooterist usually give a friendly toot of the horn when passing.
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #27
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,024
A long time friend of mine commented when I posted a photo of us with the PCXes... "Oh, no, you guys bought crotch-rockets!"

I explained, "No, they're small, friendly scooters - more like crotchless-rockets!"

Wave, don't wave... to paraphrase the philosopher Cindy Lauper: scooterists just wanna have fun.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #28
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
I had a run in a few weeks ago with some Harleys. We are all traveling down a 3 lane highway and they pull out in front of me and head to the center lane. There are about 50 of them. They move into the far left lane and I move into the center lane from the right lane to pass slower moving traffic. Within a few minutes the whole group decides to merge into my lane. I'm suddenly stuck in the middle.

At a light I lean over and yell to one of the Harley riders that "I don't think I belong here!" He just laughs. Traffic starts to move and the Harleys start to pass me in my lane. It's not a comfortable place to be as I have to stop up short to avoid hitting one that cuts in front of me at the next light.

"Screw it" I mumble, I zip into the right lane and pass them all. Giving each of them a biker wave.
Be glad it was not a gaggle of crotch rockets. I have ridden in groups of 50 or more, on PGR missions (did they have flags on their bikes?) No matter how hard you try, somebody is going to mess up occasionally, especially in a turn. We've had 2 riders actually crash into each other. They are not used to riding in tight formation. Most of the bikes are cruisers and Goldwings. Most of the cruisers are Harleys. I've seen maybe 7 or 8 crotch rockets in the past 6 years.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Oh dear,yet another ghey 'do you,don`t you,do they,don`t they wave/nod/flash the headlight' thread.

I don`t wave to any fecker.
Don`t know who they are.
Don`t want to know.

Didn`t think so.

I will,however,stop and offer assistance to anyone apparently broken down at the roadside.
And that applies to any form of vehicle.
I agree. Someday, riding with one hand on the bars, you could go down waving. Try nodding, it is polite and keeps your hands where they belong, on the controls.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 AM   #30
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
When I rode the cruiser (a 1100 shadow ace) I Got waves from other cruiser most of the time, crotch rocketeers about 1/3 of the time, the 'wing couples with bike/suits (his and hers) all color coordinated about 3/4 from the misses on the back and when I waved to a pair of CHP out on a back road they didn't not only not wave but body language was huh? WTF!?
But on the Stella scooter so far I got some smiles and an "it's so cute " from the lady at the local market deli and one monotone 'it ain't no harley' from one of the guys at my dads assisted living residence... but then the Stella only has <30miles on it.

vt1099ace screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 02:43 AM
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote