Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #31
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Just to be clear, are you supporting sport bike riders irresponsible, dangerous, and criminal behavior? (much of their riding is actually criminal, not just breaking civil traffic laws. For example, exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 miles per hour, and reckless endangerment are class 1 misdemeanors in my state)

MANY people complain about Harley riders. When is the last time you saw a Harley rider riding irresponsibly, and putting others in danger? Most people who complain about Harley riders do so because of their supposed badass IMAGE, which is largely gone now, other than a few small hardcore groups. Yes, many of them try to carry on the look, but that's all it is, just a look. They are just out to enjoy themselves (it's kind of like role playing I guess) but they do it safely.

Crotch rocket riders are the real troublemakers. I see it almost every day. The cops are out in force on certain roads in weekends, and they have developed a system to catch them. And they do catch them, sometimes seven or eight at the time. But the idiots don't seem to learn. At the rates the cops are busting them, there are enough of the out there to last forever. Riders of other types of bikes go by mostly unnoticed. I got 2 no point speeding tickets on a Ninja 500. I'm sure I got stopped because of the look of my bike. If I was speeding it was just barely, not enough to be noticed on any other type of bike.

BTW, I'm 54, and do not have any grandkids yet. I keep waiting.

Back to scooters please?
I'm with ya! A car just went by playing that goddam rock and roll music, really loud! I hobbled outside and waved my cane at 'em. Wippersnappers!

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #32
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
It's funny, I've ridden everything from ratty harleys to sport bikes. Been riding since I was 10 or so (about 40 years). Currently have a klr and a Kymco People 150. If anyone here is from socal, you've heard of the Rock Store.

Rode the scooter to the Rock Store about a month ago. A couple of Harley dudes came over as I was parking it. One dude, looking at the still creased chaps and the brand new Harley everything (shirt, belt buckle, etc.) I could tell was a 50 something year old midlife crisis who rode a few miles every Sunday and spent the rest of the week looking at his bike in the garage. The other dude was an old school biker who probably had been on Harleys his whole life.

The wannabe started laughing saying "What are you doing on that thing? You shur have balls bringing it here!"

The real biker looked at him and said "F*&k that, this guy knows how to have fun!" He started talking to me about gas mileage, how far I'd ride it at a time, about different bikes we both owned. He admitted he's wanted to get a scooter for a couple years "just for kicks" and that he just might do it!

A real motorcyclist, hard-core Harley or not, will always wave back. A wannabe weekend warrior probably will not.

Who cares? Wave anyways!

BTW, it was a kick on Mullholland taking these two sport bike guys in a corner on a 150cc scooter! It's always cooler going fast on a small bike than on a fast one!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #33
billtrout
n00b

Oddometer: 3
The Brotherhood of the wind, some have still to learn.
Some never will.
billtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #34
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by billtrout View Post
The Brotherhood of the wind
Oh dear....pass me that sick bag.
I`ll use it when I`ve stopped chortling.

Some people really seem to believe in that 'brotherhood' bollox.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #35
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Just to be clear, are you supporting sport bike riders irresponsible, dangerous, and criminal behavior? (much of their riding is actually criminal, not just breaking civil traffic laws. For example, exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 miles per hour, and reckless endangerment are class 1 misdemeanors in my state)

MANY people complain about Harley riders. When is the last time you saw a Harley rider riding irresponsibly, and putting others in danger? Most people who complain about Harley riders do so because of their supposed badass IMAGE, which is largely gone now, other than a few small hardcore groups. Yes, many of them try to carry on the look, but that's all it is, just a look. They are just out to enjoy themselves (it's kind of like role playing I guess) but they do it safely.

Crotch rocket riders are the real troublemakers. I see it almost every day. The cops are out in force on certain roads in weekends, and they have developed a system to catch them. And they do catch them, sometimes seven or eight at the time. But the idiots don't seem to learn. At the rates the cops are busting them, there are enough of the out there to last forever. Riders of other types of bikes go by mostly unnoticed. I got 2 no point speeding tickets on a Ninja 500. I'm sure I got stopped because of the look of my bike. If I was speeding it was just barely, not enough to be noticed on any other type of bike.

BTW, I'm 54, and do not have any grandkids yet. I keep waiting.

Back to scooters please?

I haven't been into the bars I see their bikes parked outside of, but I can assume their is some drinking going on in there, and the stats do bear out that drinking is a causal or contributing factor in a LOT of accidents. So to answer your question, daily.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #36
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
I wave at all two wheels, including bicycles (which I am not sure they understand why). What can really throw two wheelers off is when I am not riding and I still wave.
Once I got a wave while I was on foot but I think that is because i had some gear on.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
It's funny, I've ridden everything from ratty harleys to sport bikes. Been riding since I was 10 or so (about 40 years). Currently have a klr and a Kymco People 150. If anyone here is from socal, you've heard of the Rock Store.

Rode the scooter to the Rock Store about a month ago. A couple of Harley dudes came over as I was parking it. One dude, looking at the still creased chaps and the brand new Harley everything (shirt, belt buckle, etc.) I could tell was a 50 something year old midlife crisis who rode a few miles every Sunday and spent the rest of the week looking at his bike in the garage. The other dude was an old school biker who probably had been on Harleys his whole life.

The wannabe started laughing saying "What are you doing on that thing? You shur have balls bringing it here!"

The real biker looked at him and said "F*&k that, this guy knows how to have fun!" He started talking to me about gas mileage, how far I'd ride it at a time, about different bikes we both owned. He admitted he's wanted to get a scooter for a couple years "just for kicks" and that he just might do it!

A real motorcyclist, hard-core Harley or not, will always wave back. A wannabe weekend warrior probably will not.

Who cares? Wave anyways!

BTW, it was a kick on Mullholland taking these two sport bike guys in a corner on a 150cc scooter! It's always cooler going fast on a small bike than on a fast one!
I got so tired of saying 'scooter ride' and then having to explain that yes I can get on the freeway and yes its pretty much the same as any other 250cc motorcycle etc. That I finally decided to buy a motorcycle just so I can say 'motorcycle' when talking about what I ride.

OK that is not exactly true. I got another motorycle primarly just because I want one.

Never the less, my scooter = 12k miles, 1 one week tour, 4 weekend trips several hundern miles away and constantly commuting.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #38
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
Let me put it this way. As a motorcyclist, I have absolutely no desire to be associated with the type of image sport bike riders have around here. I do not condone their behavior, and do not wish to be lumped together with them just because I ride motorcycles.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #39
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
I see people wave all the time at me no matter what I ride, scooter or motorcycle, and I reluctantly wave back. Why reluctantly? Because waving is supposed to represent the connection between riders but what I see is a lot of bickering about who rides what and how. Furthermore I cannot tell you how many motorcycles I have found stopped at the side of the road and watched cretins ride by waving like it means anything. Stopping to help is what is supposed to follow on from the wave but waving these days just reminds me how old (and cranky) I am.

IBA#39,523

conchscooter screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 10:13 PM
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #40
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
electric scooter, dew ragged, loud piped Harley, ner-a-car Gold Wing - the wind, rain and air temperature are the same. I wave at everyone as an expression of the sheer pleasure I'm deriving from riding. I assume they are experiencing the same.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,371
Now some they do and some they don't and some you just can't tell,
And some they will and some they won't, with some it's just as well.

Supertramp

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #42
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,419
I never quite get the need for a waving thread and I'm breaking one of my forum rules by replying to this one (must be the non threatening scooter ambience!) . I've always seen a wave as the same as a "good morning" that pedestrians might share, something offered, a wish for the enjoyment of a good day, not something that demands or expects a reply.
A wave is the same as a thumbs up, offered because you feel like, a gesture of good will, how can this be complicated?

If you read this I waved at you too, suck it up!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #43
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck21 View Post
I wave whenever possible. The vast majority of riders will wave back! I find that of those that don't it is usually the Harley riders that envision them selves as bada*s. You know them, old jeans, vest and dew-rag and of course no helmet.
If you want "the biker" to recognize that you are their equal and wave back, you have to dress like the cowboy, construction worker, indian or sailor.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #44
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 388
Around here, most people wave at everyone else.

The only ones that don't are the ATGATT folks that won't wave to anyone that isn't from NASA, and a few uppity hipsters on scooters, that look down on everyone that isn't a non-conformist, just like them.

All the Harley guys wave, and the crotch rocket racers usually will unless they're stunt riding in traffic. Kinda hard to wave doing a nose-stand!
66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #45
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
I don't conform to ANYTHING. Period. I do my absolute best not to be "trendy" or to fit into any particular group, and I think I've done very well. I do love motorcycles, pretty much all motorcycles, and scooters, with the exception of sportbikes. They give my main hobby a bad reputation. I drive ancient cars, dress pretty ratty unless I'm going somewhere special, I have peace signs on my old cars, but I don't smoke pot or have long hair, nor am I a skinhead. I am a little bit of almost everything, but not enough to be classified as anything. Not a hippie or a hipster or a pirate or a snob, or an atgatt rider. If there is any one group that I identify with besides non sportbike riding motorcyclists, it is blue collar workers. Blue collar types are what get things done. The world needs a lot more of us.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote