Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #16
WRrioR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post

I had a friend drop his Monster in the parking lot and was quoted nearly 4 grand to get it back to original condition. Not saying that's the norm, but it is something to think about.

I had a friend knock my sv650s off the stand when he backed into it in my driveway. cost 4 grand to repair that bike, and I did the work, and bought the parts at shop discount, and used non-oem cheap parts for things like levers, pegs and shifter, turn signal, etc. woulda cost 500 less than I paid for the bike new to put it back to original. Suzuki's are expensive to repair, too. Lots of bent supports for all that plastic bodywork kinda adds up. I think the body pins were several bucks a piece.
WRrioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #17
vellies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Maybe, but who cares, they are fantastic.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #18
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRrioR View Post
I had a friend knock my sv650s off the stand when he backed into it in my driveway. cost 4 grand to repair that bike, and I did the work, and bought the parts at shop discount, and used non-oem cheap parts for things like levers, pegs and shifter, turn signal, etc. woulda cost 500 less than I paid for the bike new to put it back to original. Suzuki's are expensive to repair, too. Lots of bent supports for all that plastic bodywork kinda adds up. I think the body pins were several bucks a piece.
next time pick it up without buying a forklift, and save $3975.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #19
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
there are videos of guys pulling rusted out vw vans from the woods via helicopter... but I didn't know people did that for bikes in the driveway too !
Old 06-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #20
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
did the queen knight you before or after renting her boat to lever up the bike ?

ok, I'm done.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #21
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Then yes, Ducati's are "reasonable" to maintain, but still likely will be more expensive then any equivalent Japanese offerings.
Equivalent Japanese offerings?

If there were equivalent Japanese offerings we wouldn't be having this conversation...
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #22
Skidmarkart
Repeat Recidivist

Oddometer: 171
Okay, I think the "Yes, but worth it" says it all. That is really the question - is it worth it to you?

These are rare, beautiful, unique bikes. They make sexy noises, look awesome and are a pleasure to ride. And yes, they are more expensive to ride. Some models certainly more than others.

When I recently started looking into the same question (I always wanted a big Italian twin), I came to the conclusion that I wanted the platform (V-Twin), but not the Italian bike.

I went with a Superhawk, because it was right for me. I don't really have time for maintenance (I have the tools and know-how, I just rather spend my time off with my kids and not in the garage). I have two kids in daycare ATM, so spending a lot would impractical. I didn't really want to get a bike that would make me cry if I spilled it or my kid bumped it with their wagon. I could not be happier with the decision.

Is it a pretty and attention grabbing? Nope. Is it fun as hell when you twist the right grip? Yep. Does it sound great? Check. Do chicks dig it? I don't know, see above about the two kids.

It was the right bike for me. I paid less than 2K, and $90 for a carb disassemble and cleaning.
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #23
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
This.

I recently sold a 2V Multi with 38k miles. I did the valves, belts, etc. Inexpensive if you perform the work, else $$ add up.... Of course, highly dependent on how many miles you put on the bike.

My car requires a valve adjustment at about the same time interval (car is a daily driver) as the Multi and I pay to have it done...worth it to have and enjoy the car.
What car requires valve adjustments these days?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #24
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
What car requires valve adjustments these days?
The cars that have always required valve adjustments. An old Triumph still requires valve adjustments. An air cooled VW, a Porsche 911 at least up to the 964 series.

There are a number of late model Toyotas that require valve adjustments. The E-46 M3 BMW is supposed to have the valves checked every 40k miles. It uses shims.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #25
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
Or Hyundais like my '03 Elantra. I suspect that a lot of the DOHC motors out there require shim valve adjustments. Not that many owners read that far in the manual.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #26
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Another thing to consider: you are comparing dropping a naked versus a faired bike. Tip over a 848 and you can easily double the damage price.

A quick ebay search confirms everything you need to know. A Suzuki SV fairing can be had for under a hundred. A 848 fairing off ebay is over 500$.

Like I said, if you never scratch or drop your bike, Ducatis are fine.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #27
indr OP

Oddometer: 1,197
And if you don't care about scratches on your plastics or slightly bent kickstands :)
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #28
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Yes...but they're worth it!
This.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #29
WRrioR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Another thing to consider: you are comparing dropping a naked versus a faired bike. Tip over a 848 and you can easily double the damage price.

A quick ebay search confirms everything you need to know. A Suzuki SV fairing can be had for under a hundred. A 848 fairing off ebay is over 500$.

Like I said, if you never scratch or drop your bike, Ducatis are fine.

true on the naked part. mine was full fairing. it landed on the milkcrate off the KLR and cracked the windshield, upper nose faring, side fairing, bent the bars, pegs, levers, etc. the friggin' expensive stuff was the fairing support brackits. nose and side fairing supports were outrageous costs. Couldn't find em' on ebay at the time. Couldn't find an uncracked side fairing on ebay either. bike had less than 500 miles on it. guy paid cash for the damage. Insurance would have totaled it, i'm sure. Had the forklift tied up with the harley on it while getting tires changed. Used the boom truck to pick it up.
WRrioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #30
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Well.. yeah.

I love jap bikes. The RC51 is a dear sweet ball peen hammer of a machine. It's Gogo Yubari in a gi, ready to throw down.

But I willfully pull up to Ducatis at about 4 or 5 oclock in traffic, roll down the window, and turn off the radio in my car just so I can listen.

They're like Maria Grazia Cucinotta and Ronda Rousey had a baby or something.

Worth it, if it's stirs your soul. If they don't, you're probably dead inside and should see a doctor.