Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
how do you stay comfortable on the scooter?

HI,

well the question is simple. I want to know how you stay comfortable on your scooter. I have hwy pegs that help, a windshield and on longer rides use a kineybelt (barrow from the MX department)

So what do you do to stay confortable longer?

Damasovi
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
My Citycom is pretty comfy for my six/four stock with a decent seat, good ergos, a good stock touring windshield and enough room for my large self to be able to move around when I want to thanks to a 59 inch wheelbase and an upright riding position.

With my AirHawk, I'm good to go cross country. A couple of weeks ago I put 600 km on it in a days ride in the British Columbia mountains. In a couple of weeks I will be heading 1000km east to the Rocky Mts then north through Banff and Jasper to Yukon and then south on the Cassier Hwy.

This bike is less tiring to ride the distance for my 60 year old self than my V-Strom 1000 or my C90 bagger. So my number one recommendation for comfort is to buy a comfortable bike.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,906
UnderArmor

Yup, UnderArmor underwear.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I have a Beadrider seat cover on the SWing and I generally shove my feet all the way forward. I find that seating position very comfortable and I can maintain it for long periods of time. If I need to, I just move my feet back on the boards for awhile. I have a Givi AirFlow windshield which also works great and allows me to maximize or minimize airflow. In winter, I wear a heavy textile armored jacket and a liner, if it's really cold...in summer, an armored mesh jacket. All of these things maximize my comfort in any season while maintaining protection levels. They seem to work well.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
The contoured seats on the modern scooters look like they keep the rider in one spot. I need to move back and forth a little now and then. I don't know why the stepped seats caught on, seems all the scooters have them.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
I ride my BMW. Seriously. Nobody can accuse a P200e of being a cush ride for long distances. You guys with bigger scooters make me jealous.

ABS, headed grips and a tall windshield have ruined me.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #7
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Good long underwear are a must for an extra layer of padding and warmth (I tend to ride more in the spring and fall than the summer for some odd reasaon) and stretching out and taking up the whole seat helps too. Stepped seats are ok but only if there's room to put your feet up. Lots of breaks helps too; I'm rarely in so much of a hurry that I can't stop for a few minutes every half hour or so.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
The first thing is to have a scooterr that fits you and is comfortable. I have 2 inches of foam pad that I add to the seat on trips, not that the seat is uncomfortable, but my legs are long and it gives me more leg room on a 400 Burgman. The other thing is an Mp3 player, music takes my mind off of the little things. Although a maxi scooter is a great all around transport, it can not match the comfort of a touring motorcycle. Now throw on an electronic cruise control, a taller more comfortable seat, add a bigger shield and a stereo, I might change my mind. The 650 isn't quite big enough either, but it is going the right direction.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
The contoured seats on the modern scooters look like they keep the rider in one spot. I need to move back and forth a little now and then. I don't know why the stepped seats caught on, seems all the scooters have them.
The Yamaha Zuma 125 has a relatively flat seat, compared to the typical stepped configurations.

tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
Wear padded bicycle shorts. I can't do distance rides without them.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
A few years back I took an old pair of sweat pants and cut them off at the thigh. I asked my wife to sew two layers of quilted material into the seat of the cut off sweat pants. I combine this with fleece lined jeans for extra butt padding. This layering when riding my FJR with Corbin allows for all day comfort. The same with my Silverwing with Airhawk, all day comfort. The air hawk is a huge improvement over the factory Honda seat.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,825
I never had any comfort issues on my Vino 125 or Zuma 125. I have done 400 mile days on the Vino. The Stella however is not so comfortable. The long narrow hard as a rock seat is a part of the problem, but the biggest issue is the riding position. The seat is high, and the bars are to low, forcing you to lean forward. Not like a sport bike, but enough to cause some comfort problems after a while. I see no easy way to fix it, the bars on a Stella can't be replaced. Fortunately, it is the one scooter I don't ride very far at the time, I don't consider it reliable enough to get to far from home on.

The Zuma seat is flat side to side, but slopes downward quite a bit from front to back. Even with a 34" inseam, I can just barely touch the ground when sitting on the back part of it. I also have highway pegs on the Zuma which help comfort a bit and leave the floor open to carry stuff.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Pull over and get a cup of Coffee/Tea

Howdy,

I'm strictly an urban commuter/ errand runner on my Honda Sh150i. When seat fatigue gets the best of me, I simply look for the nearest Whataburger and enjoy a big Diet Coke and small burger. It works for me, but obviously YMMV.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,952
Ok,my 650 Burgman Executive is as comfy as my favourite armchair at home,so no bother there.

However,in February I rode one of my PX125s 930 miles to a rally in Germany without any fancyarse padded undies or modifications to the seat or scooter,and I had no discomfort at all.

It must be all you FFs that are having trouble.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,825
Wow that new orange color on the 2014 Zuma 125 looks great. I may have to order those body panels for mine when they become available. It is currently white. It will look like a whole different scooter.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote