Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #16
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Zuma seat is flat side to side, but slopes downward quite a bit from front to back. Even with a 34" inseam, I can just barely touch the ground when sitting on the back part of it.
This Zuma clone even copied the seat design.

tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
The contoured seats on the modern scooters look like they keep the rider in one spot. I need to move back and forth a little now and then. I don't know why the stepped seats caught on, seems all the scooters have them.
They mimic motorcycles; where stepped-seats have been de rigueur for thirty years now.

With a reason. Simply put, most persons on the pillion seat are...female. The rider's Old Lady or Main Squeeze or Shack-Up.

Put them on a UJB straight saddle...and what they see during any trip...are sweat-stains on the taller, male, operator's back. But, give them a seat that steps up...they can see over the helmet; can enjoy the ride. The tendency, too, is for them to keep their feet on the pegs at stoplights...making them and the rider safer.

So...the stepped-seat is here to stay on all but the smallest scooters and a few throwback retro-bikes.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
Howdy,

I'm strictly an urban commuter/ errand runner on my Honda Sh150i. When seat fatigue gets the best of me, I simply look for the nearest Whataburger and enjoy a big Diet Coke and small burger. It works for me, but obviously YMMV.
Helps on any cycle - a stretch stop. With me, it's coffee.

Coffee is cheaper and more healthy, given the amount likely to be consumed on a longer trip. Once an hour or so...stop at a likely diner or gas-and-junk store with seats, or even a fast-food outlet (pass on the food, though, unless you're really in need of it). A cup of coffee fights boredom; gets the blood flowing; gets you off the saddle so blood can flow to the nether regions.

FWIW, this is true even in hot weather. I used to think the old Western-themed movies were ridiculous, when they had the cowboys making hot coffee on a blazing prairie at noon...but hot beverages, unless you're really suffering heatstroke, go down well.

Cold, not so much - they bite. And the sugar that's in them isn't any good to cool you off either.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
I bought me one of these. Long, flat seat, strap removed. Comfy ergos. Perfect for around town.

If I was into highway cruising I would get a Wing. Took one for a test ride today, loved it.

My '82 Passport

The GoldWing

I took a BMW C600 out last week. Heated seat and grips, power adjustable windshield, super comfy and easily hit 160k/hr.

Wearing the right gear is also key. I live in Newfoundland and ride in everything but snow.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Sounds like my Burgman 650. Except for the heated grips, which I had to have put on myself.

Cost me $4000-odd. I love German engineering; but I'm not convinced German engineering had much of anything to do with the BMW scoots. Sooooo......I'll wait.

The Gold Wing looks like an impressive machine. But, thirsty, too, I'll bet...
Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #21
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Comfort

I ride a Silverwing, and although I use a buttpad (I have several types) occasionally, it is a higher backrest that is essential for my comfort.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

The Wing is super plush and easier to ride than you'd think. Nice low COG. This was the second one I test rode. It even has an airbag. Too pricey for me right now, maybe when I retire in 10 years I'll buy a 2013 model second hand.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Comfort

Wearing the right gear is also key. I live in Newfoundland and ride in everything but snow.[/QUOTE]

I rode my Silverwing up to Newfoundland a few years ago. I loved it there, the people were very friendly and the Island was beautiful. The weather was exciting, I rode through a hurricane and heavy rain, high winds, cold temperatures(August)(saw snow in the North), and one day of Sun in two weeks. I loved it, really! I want to go again next Summer.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
They mimic motorcycles; where stepped-seats have been de rigueur for thirty years now.

With a reason. Simply put, most persons on the pillion seat are...female. The rider's Old Lady or Main Squeeze or Shack-Up.

Put them on a UJB straight saddle...and what they see during any trip...are sweat-stains on the taller, male, operator's back. But, give them a seat that steps up...they can see over the helmet; can enjoy the ride. The tendency, too, is for them to keep their feet on the pegs at stoplights...making them and the rider safer.

So...the stepped-seat is here to stay on all but the smallest scooters and a few throwback retro-bikes.
I think you are right about why. If the bike is for carrying a passenger, it makes some sense. But for a long trip, a seat that holds you in one spot is misery. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8080/8...0ee65883_z.jpg This long flat seat is so comfortable that on a long trip I never stop to stretch. The 200 mile fuel intervals and the 'comfort station' stops are enough. I don't ride the Honda scooter, because of the seat. It forces me to sit on the base of my spine, and I like to lean forward with some weight on the handlebars.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #25
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
Wearing the right gear is also key. I live in Newfoundland and ride in everything but snow.
So you ride like 1 month in the year? lol!! sorry amigo I could not let it go!!! Yes very true, gear for hot and cold, one time I almost fainted because I was just to hot, I went to the restroom and took off all the layers I had and then I sit down a little and color return to me.

Many great tips here people!!! Thanks

Damasovi
Old 06-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #26
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Wow that new orange color on the 2014 Zuma 125 looks great. I may have to order those body panels for mine when they become available. It is currently white. It will look like a whole different scooter.
That would look cool!
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #27
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
I think you are right about why. If the bike is for carrying a passenger, it makes some sense. But for a long trip, a seat that holds you in one spot is misery. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8080/8...0ee65883_z.jpg This long flat seat is so comfortable that on a long trip I never stop to stretch. The 200 mile fuel intervals and the 'comfort station' stops are enough. I don't ride the Honda scooter, because of the seat. It forces me to sit on the base of my spine, and I like to lean forward with some weight on the handlebars.
For many years Corbin made two seats for the KLR 650, one dished in shape and one flat. There was almost universal agreement that the flat seat was way more comfortable. I put one on my KLR and and was able to ride 270 miles comfortably without stopping.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #28
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
So you ride like 1 month in the year? lol!! sorry amigo I could not let it go!!! Yes very true, gear for hot and cold, one time I almost fainted because I was just to hot, I went to the restroom and took off all the layers I had and then I sit down a little and color return to me.

Many great tips here people!!! Thanks

Damasovi
So you are saying you're not green when you get hot?
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 AM   #29
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/W View Post
I rode my Silverwing up to Newfoundland a few years ago. I loved it there, the people were very friendly and the Island was beautiful. The weather was exciting, I rode through a hurricane and heavy rain, high winds, cold temperatures(August)(saw snow in the North), and one day of Sun in two weeks. I loved it, really! I want to go again next Summer.[/QUOTE]

The weather here varies. Yesterday for example it got up to 28 C / low 80's F. It was sunny and warm. Today we'll see 19 C with grey skies and intermittent showers.

These pictures were taken yesterday out at Cape Spear, the most easterly point in North America.

This bike was visiting from Tennessee.

Because Newfoundland is becoming richer due to oil, we are seeing more expensive and exotic vehicles, like this McLaren.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 AM   #30
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
So you ride like 1 month in the year? lol!! sorry amigo I could not let it go!!!
Damasovi
Haha! No, my first ride this year was on January 1st. It was cold (3C) but there was no snow. I take my MX-5 Miata and my bikes out of storage the first week of April every year and put everything back in November, taking a bike out for the occasional winter ride.