ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #181
purplehaize
Toph

Oddometer: 24
cozmoe dog told me so

cozmoedog is heading up the planning for this great adventure for the 2 of us. I've never ridden in Cali and Cozmoedog says DV is the best and he has been breakin my balls since I was a wee lad to ride out there. Well I can only take so much and I caved so DV here we come. Looks like great riding, I AM IN!

purplehaize screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 03:10 PM
purplehaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #182
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaize View Post
cozmoedog is heading up the planning for this great adventure for the 2 of us. I've never ridden in Cali and Cozmoedog says DV is the best and he has been breakin my balls since I was a wee lad to ride out there. Well I can only take so much and I caved so DV here we come. Looks like great riding, I AM IN!

Nice post.

I haven't even left FL yet and I'm appreciative of the planners for this event!
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #183
purplehaize
Toph

Thanks steveWFL, I see you have a Kawasaki fetish! Cheers to that, my 1st was a gpz550
Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #184
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks steveWFL, I see you have a Kawasaki fetish! Cheers to that, my 1st was a gpz550
wow nice, but actually I'm not crazy about the Kawasaki brand. I'm serious...there's a reason every one of those ended up in the garage
'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #185
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 504
Sick mod on the KLR!

The Strom has plenty of range, but I will carry a spare Primus can in the XL sized tool tube under one of the pannier racks just to be safe.

I'm also in the process of ordering a centerstand and then the skidplate. Been riding around for a year plus with no centerstand, figured it was time to be able to fix a flat if needed venturing this far from home. Also worth the investment for chain maintenance, I'm tired of pushing the bike around my apartment complex and doing it that way!
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #186
purplehaize
Toph

looking forward to hearing the stories at the rally
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #187
stoke
ocean minded

Quote:
looking forward to hearing the stories at the rally
It's ridiculous.

Glad to see you can make it, DV has been on my list for a looooong time, ever since I moved to CA in 2001. Seeing it by motorcycle the first time vs a cage with a great group of folks also on motorcycles has got to be the best way to go, hands down. I'm pumped.

Thanks again to the organizers for putting this together, I know a lot of your spare time is invested in this.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #188
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
Sick mod on the KLR!

The Strom has plenty of range, but I will carry a spare Primus can in the XL sized tool tube under one of the pannier racks just to be safe.

I'm also in the process of ordering a centerstand and then the skidplate. Been riding around for a year plus with no centerstand, figured it was time to be able to fix a flat if needed venturing this far from home. Also worth the investment for chain maintenance, I'm tired of pushing the bike around my apartment complex and doing it that way!
Thanks!

I use my sport bike's pit bull race stands when home for maintenance, I'll be suffering on the road. I bought a gadget that holds the front and rear wheel up, hasn;t came yet - not sure how thats going to work out either
'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 09-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #189
stoke
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Thanks!

I use my sport bike's pit bull race stands when home for maintenance, I'll be suffering on the road. I bought a gadget that holds the front and rear wheel up, hasn;t came yet - not sure how thats going to work out either
I tried the lift n' lube from aerostich, but it didn't work with my bike. Definitely got to have something though!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #190
jrozar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
A few of us will be pre running some of the routes at the end of the month to check and see how much damage has been done with all the rains in the area..hopefully most all tracks that we normally run will be open.

One route I'm running will be Gold Point to Oriental Wash to Ubehebe Crater, to Tea Kettle Junction, Race Track then decide on Lipponcot Mine Road down to Saline Valley, then left to Hunter Mountain and back.

Another route i will run will be Gold Point to Stateline Cabin, then hit a few more cabins on the way to Hard Luck Castle, then to Scottie's Castle and back towards Gold Point on Death Valley road to Oriental Wash and Gold Point.

Then the Bishop and White Mountain ride........one of my favorites....

jrozar screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 05:55 AM
jrozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #191
jrozar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
That's right shower and tent spot about $10 a night but....

Make sure you RSVP meals with Herb if your getting any....I do suggest at least the Saturday dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Looks like I have a maybe from the fiance. I will be tenting with a car and open trailer. Is there room for me?

Looks like 10 bucks a night with showers and bathroom. Right?

Gah,, will have to buy 2 aftermarket big tanks for this! 110 mile range wont work!
jrozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #192
purplehaize
Toph

recon rides, that is fantastic. ive been to UT a bunch and ofcourse CO and occasionally come in contact with sand patches which causes me all kinds of grief. cozmoedog says just get on the throttle but I just cant seem to get it. I suspect I am gonna have lots of practice in the valley?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #193
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Hardest thing to teach is acceleration through the soft stuff. Its counterintuitive but it works.

Sent from the depths of my pockets
LVCJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #194
purplehaize
Toph

I'll have to try that. I got a new to me smaller lighter bike and I would be willing to try on that as opposed to my previous big heavy r1150gs. I miss that bike, but not in the sand
Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #195
stoke
ocean minded

I recently have ridden a light 250 and my heavy Vstrom through the exact same sand wash, both over and over again to try to get better at it.

Big bikes and sand don't really mix unless you've got mad skills (I don't). Kept flopping over and in general just wasn't fun. Doable, but not fun at all.

Wasn't too bad on the light bike as long as you kept up on the throttle and kept your weight back.

When I have the space, I am getting a light dualsport for sure and reserving the Strom for commuting and gravel road duty.