Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #61
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post
Nope, closed in June after 41 years in business. 'Twas bittersweet, but my folks were ready, now they're happy and done with the stress. Great press, sellouts for the last few months. I went over to STL to work in the kitchen and at the door in the last couple weeks, including our last weekend, with lines outside the cafe, floods of wellwishers and former employees, lots of fellow restauranteurs, and many tearful customers I hadn't seen in many years, I was pretty misty myself a few times. It was a fitting and graceful exit and a celebration of what had happened, for all of which I'm thankful.

I'm just carrying on like this because I don't want to talk about baseball right now
By all means, carry on!

I still hope.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #62
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,857
Wow!

Wacha. Domination again with a no-hitter into the 8th.
Holliday. All the runs in one swing.
Molina. Don't even THINK about it.
Rosenthal. It only seems like an eight-inning game.

Wacha's composure at only 22 years old continues to impress. This kid only got his first major-league win in June!

Way to shut up those Pirate fans, son. Yea, you gave up the homer but hey...it was a good low pitch, but that's why Mr. A gets to swing on 3-0 even when PIT is trailing in the game.

What a series! Wainwright will start Game 5 in St. Louis
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #63
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 15,326
THAT's a Winner!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #64
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

YES!

Waino again!

The boys seem to be hitting their stride.

The Dodgers took 4 of 7 games from the Cardinals this year, including 3 of 4 at Busch in August.

Greinke and Kershaw will start Games 1 and 2 for LA, respectively. STL starters in Games 1 and 2 TBA. Waino to start Game 3.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #65
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,869
I've really fallen off as a baseball fan, but I'm liking this Dodgers vs Cardinals.

I'm marginally for the Dodgers- the Isotopes are their Triple A affiliate- but either way I'll be cheering for the National League.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #66
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,481
They are just a snack for the Red Sox.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #67
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Get yer snacks here! PEA nuts!

If the Cards' starters continue as they have for the last month and playoffs, it simply won't matter which AL team is there--said AL team will be the snacks for a STL team that will still be famished after the NLCS (yeah, the Bums looks like bird chow). If the Cards also hit like the 3rd best offensive team in the game (which they are), especially in the clutch/RISP, could be a 5-game series. Best starters in baseball in the last 5 weeks.

But if BOS makes it to the WS, they'll bring an awesome lineup of baseball's offensive leaders in most categories. The Sox, like the Tigers, went on a midseason rip before coming back to earth. Meanwhile, Cards were running-away best team in the majors, then slipped back into a tough divisional dogfight, and the two teams ended with 97 wins each.

Cards finished 10-2 in their last 12, including 6 wins in a row to close the season and clinch a div race between three 90-game-winning teams. Sox were 6-6, coasting in with a 5-game margin over TB. These two teams' trajectories should intersect, but STL has a rising path right now.

A few things BOS did vs TB: 6 stolen bases, .300 with RISP, Breslow 4 Ks to start game 4, BOS drew 8 walks in one game, Bogaerts drew two walks -> 2 runs, Victorino 4 HBP. None of this will happen vs. STL.

Also, there's the small matter of bloody-minded revenge.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #68
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Joe Kelly now scheduled to go against Greinke in Game 1.

Allen Craig talked earlier this week about being ready for the NLCS.

But, no. He will continue his recovery on the bench. Would be great to have both Craig and Adams in the lineup (and they will be in 2014). Craig could see pinch-hit duty, which would give some needed help to the bench depth.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #69
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Beltran Picks Up Kelly

Kelly and Greinke both with shaky 3rd innings, both gave up two runs. Kelly hit one and walked one before loading the bases and giving up a hit to Puig. In the bottom, Greinke gave up a two-out hit to Kelly, and the pitcher came around to score ahead of Carpenter on Beltran's double.

Both pitchers settled down and the score remained 2 -2 going into the ninth. Former Cardinals Skip Schumacher (was at the plate when the now famous "rally squirrel" appeared) and Mark McGwire were greeted warmly by the fans at Busch, the former as he pinch hit and was struck out by Rosenthal to end the Bums' ninth.

With two out in the bottom of the ninth, LA closer Brian Wilson walked Adams and Molina and went full on John Jay, but with the runners going, Jay hit a fly to center to send the game into extra innings.

Neither Greinke nor Kelly will get a decision.

Greinke: 8 innings pitched, 4 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 10 Ks.
Kelly: 6 innings, 6 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, 5 Ks, 1 HBP.

Dodgers were 10-5 in extra innings in 2013, the Cards were 6-6.

EDIT: CARLOS BELTRAN IS THE MAN THREAD NOW! Having driven in both STL runs, Beltran catches Michael Young's line drive and guns down the tagging Ellis at the plate after Ellis hit a one-out triple. Molina takes the hit and makes the tag to complete the inning-ending DP!

EDIT 2: And then, CARLOS BELTRAN wins the game in the 13th with a liner to right off closer Jansen, who came in after Withrow gave up a hit and a walk, 4 hrs, 47 minutes after first pitch. Cards used 7 pitchers, LA used 6. According to ESPN, the it was the Bums' longest postseason game since the 1916 World Series.

Good. I hope they're tired. Sweet cheeses, I know I am. But on holiday until next Thursday!

Schnickelfritz screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 10:43 PM
Old 10-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #70
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Game 2 NLCS

Wacha vs. Kershaw. Would a 1 - 0 final score be a surprise?

Kershaw TWO-HITS the Cardinals through six innings and loses, giving up just 1 unearned run as a result of Ellis's passed ball in the 5th. That is some tough luck. Even worse luck, given that the Cards by contrast were able to pitch around a throwing error and two wild pitches without giving up a run.

Wacha shut out the Dodgers in 6-2/3 innings. He gave up 6 hits, but LA left the bases loaded in the 6th, unable to capitalize on Carpenter's 2-base error. Dodgers had another chance when Siegrist relieved Wacha after Punto's 2-out single in the 7th and promptly freaked out with two consecutive wild pitches, putting Punto on third, but PH Young flied out to end the inning. Choate, Martinez, and Rosenthal combined to retire the last six, including 5 Ks to end the game with some 100+ mph stuff from Rosenthal.

ESPN radio heads Shulman and Hershiser both sounded amazed at the arms on the STL staff, particularly in the bullpen.

Cards could not be in better position, heading west having beaten the Dodgers' vaunted 1-2 punch, with their own ace Adam Wainwright going to the hill to face Hyun-Jin Ryu on Monday night in Chavez Ravine.

Imma give that
Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #71
CoffeeGuy OP
Coffee is 99% Water

Oddometer: 172
Eek

Ugh.

St. Louis Cardinals
2006 WS Champions
2011 WS Champions
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #72
]I)Money
D NOT I

indeed.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #73
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 15,326
So I am the most ardent Cardinals fan here, but the past 3 games have been horrid, I cannot believe how poorly the team is playing. This is not the team that won the NL, this is no the team that played the year out.

Matt Carpenter, is so focused on missing 200 hits that he may never get another hit.

The pitching staff has been outstanding, if not for them the series would be 0-3

This team has fallen apart and cannot win the WS much less the pennant.

Last year the team was up 3-1 with 3 to play and they lost, it is only going to go 6 games this year as the Dodgers will sweep the Cards now... I hope I am wrong but I've been following this team for 45 years and see what is gonna happen....
Old 10-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #74
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Now, lets all simmer down a bit. Found some TV and wifi out here in the hinterlands and Matt Holliday sez, "Cheer up, lil' camper!"

Ya the bats have been quiet, but the joy is in yer words: pitching has saved us. (It's also what's kept LA in the series.)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #75
]I)Money
D NOT I

Annnnd, bam.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: