User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Burgman 650 with 178,933 miles

There have been numerous stories , about the CVT failures that are so expensive to fix the scooter becomes an instant parts bike . I too have always been reluctant to buy one , in fact when did buy a NEW larger scooter there was no question in my mind , I bought the Tmax . For some reason I don't know why , I still wanted a 650 Burg . Then came the best buyer's market in my life time , and I was able to grab a nice one for 3K . So if it blows , it blows .

Now here is the flip side of the story , a gentleman who has done very little in the way of preventive maintenance got to 99,000 miles before even needing a belt . You can see / read some of his story here on BUSA .

I'm not saying yea or nay on buying a 650 , I'm just sharing this gentleman's experience for those who have an interest . I will say this at least for me , if you can buy one right it's worth the gamble , if you want a big ride like the 650 . By best description of the bike so far is "VERY comfortable" .

TheReaper!

http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/vie...illett#p548583
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,272
The percentage of Burgmans that have any problems at all is extremely low. When a problem does arise, it gets a lot of play which in turn makes it seem as if it is a bigger deal than it really is.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 320
Yep, it looks to me that the problems with Burgmans are way over-reported too. After deciding that, I went and sold my '01 Helix (I really miss it a lot) and bought a Burgman 650 Exec. Looking forward to many miles from it.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
That's pretty impressive. I agree that the transmission failure issue is probably over-reported. However, if I happen to be one of the unlucky ones, I still wouldn't want to face a $2000 repair bill, whether or not the problem was rare...
Old 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
That's pretty impressive. I agree that the transmission failure issue is probably over-reported. However, if I happen to be one of the unlucky ones, I still wouldn't want to face a $2000 repair bill, whether or not the problem was rare...
As long as you check the Primary Pully Stopper bolt every 10,000 miles you will drop into the reliability area of other motorcycles. That bolt takes 5 minutes to check, cost is about 6 dollars to replace if you see chips out of the end on it. The bike has a belt on it inside the transmission that Suzuki calls a lifetime belt. That translates to a replacement belt every 50 to 60 thousand miles. Pretty expensive to change if you have a motorcycle shop do it, less than 500 dollars if you do it yourself.

Look at that cost vs other motorcycles and it is well within my limits as I do my own wrenching with the help of my friends. Yes, the bike will be down a couple of weeks when that belt needs changed but it is not a problem to change it as long as you have a shop manual and tools. Or you could sell the bike at about 30-40 thousand miles and buy a newer one. Either way, no big deal.