User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
iMav OP
keyboard geek

Oddometer: 6
Sachs Madass 125 or Sym Wolf Classic 150

Couldn't find an appropriate forum for this question... Given the relatively small displacement of these bikes, this might be a good fit.

Anyways...my main bike is a BMW R1200RT. It handles all my riding "heavy lifting". What I am looking for is something small, nimble, and fun for around town.

I am leaning a bit towards something like the Wolf Classic, simply because I love the classic styling and the ability to, at least, get me to highway speeds if I need to dash over to the next town.

My choices aren't absolutely narrowed down to these two...but I do fancy them. ;)

Thoughts??
iMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
If your criteria includes grocery getting, consider a model with 4-on-the-floor capability. Include the Lance PCH 125 in your research.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,579
The first time i saw a Sym Wolf Classic I started drooling. It looks like a fun little ride. However, if you want something fun AND practical for running errands, getting groceries, etc, I would recommend a small scooter. I was looking for an around town bike 3 years ago. After over 30 years of riding motorcycles I got my first scooter, a Kymco Super 8 150. This is the most fun around town bike I have ever owned. After nearly 3 years and almost 12,000 miles, this thing still puts a smile on my face every time I ride it and I ride it nearly every day, usually several times. I ride it so often because it is so practical and pretty much replaces my cage.

Why a scooter? It's effortless to use and they are much better at carrying stuff than most motorcycles. There is storage under the seat. It's easy to mount a tail trunk and many have flat floorboard which can be used to carry a lot of stuff.

I love my Super 8 but if you plan on riding on the highway you may want something a little bit bigger like a Sym HD200.

Anyway a couple of pics.

Practical:

Fun:

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
soupamoto
Singletrack Jedi

Oddometer: 60
I vote for the Sachs MadAss 125, but I'm biased, as I have one, and it is for sale. My wife and I love the MadAss, it's just a hoot to ride. Wish we had more opportunity to ride it.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,616
If you love the styling on the Wolf, then nothing else is going to make you happy, assuming you intend to stay with a small motorcycle rather than a scooter. I'm a bit big for either of these bikes, but came very close to buying a Wolf Classic on looks alone, plus it has a centerstand and kickstarter.

I personally have no interest in the MadAss. If you like the look that's fine. But I would be unable to ride it due to it's ergos. And that seat is not much better that those tiny little bump stops they put on road bicycles. Yes, some people love those. I have a large cruiser style seat on my bicycle, but then I actually sit on it.

They are 2 totally different bikes. I guess it depends on which one you like. If you haven't, I would at least sit on them both, and get a feel for the riding position. I personally found the Wolf much more comfortable and pleasing to look at.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
24LeMons
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I'll second Klaviator's recommendation for a scooter as an around-town ride. Storage is just such a huge asset for running everyday errands. My Vespa GTS250--which has decent but not amazing storage--carries my sunglasses, a small collapsible shopping bag, a bungee net for the rear cargo rack, gloves, a small flashlight, a light jacket, and an extender for the helmet hook. Minor stuff, but where would you put all of that on a Wolf or MadAss? (Plus, in the case of the GTS and other 250CC+ scooters, you'll leave the Wolf and MadAss in the dust. Not to mention that the MadAss 125 isn't freeway legal in many states.)

Sometimes scooters are like minivans--the tool you actually need for the job, but you just don't want to be seen driving one! Go with your heart--a scooter may not float your boat--but you've already got a "real" motorcycle and a scoot would be the perfect companion.
24LeMons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,467
Done some reading around about Sym Wolf Classic and on the sym forum they kind of say no up to SYM normal quality . For what it is a honda clone it's ok but the issues seem to by quality with people saying stuff about china built etc. Just repeating the shit I ve read. So read up on them on the sym forum first. I would got was madass . More fun , better built and a company that goes back 50 years is its the same Sachs of that made 50cc mop etc.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
I think the Wolf is made in Taiwan like the SYM scooters. SYM gives a 2 year warranty. Our SYM HD200 has been an awesome scooter. We have a cargo box on the back. Between that box, the under seat storage, and the grocery bag hook, you wouldn't believe the groceries I can carry. It'll do 65 mph and get low to high 80's mpg doing it.
Between the Madass and the Wolf, I'd go for the wolf. SYM makes quality stuff. They all have ceramic coated cylinders too. The Madass is straight from China. If you don't think Taiwan can make good stuff, SYM, Kymco, and Genuine/PGO are all made there. So, why are these three bike makers the ONLY ones that give a 2 year warranty? We also have a Kymco People 150, and it is a fine scooter.
Birdmove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Done some reading around about Sym Wolf Classic and on the sym forum they kind of say no up to SYM normal quality . For what it is a honda clone it's ok but the issues seem to by quality with people saying stuff about china built etc. Just repeating the shit I ve read. So read up on them on the sym forum first. I would got was madass . More fun , better built and a company that goes back 50 years is its the same Sachs of that made 50cc mop etc.

I read the same thing. I also saw some of those issues on a new Wolf Classic I looked at. Already had some rust, and cracked rubber. Paint was blotchy. Definitely not the same quality as say an HD200. But I noticed the same issues on the Symba. I believe these bikes are not built in the same place as SYM scooters are. I also doubt the 2 year warranty covers things like rust, paint problems, or rotted rubber.

Sachs USED to be a German company, but it is now 100% Chinese. I used to own a Sachs moped (pedal type) Talk about quality. I think they even had Puch beat. But just like with Schwinn, a Chinese company bought the name. The old Sachs company is long gone.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #10
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
I think the Madass is one of the the coolest small bikes I have ever seen. However, it just isn't as practical as a small scooter. I use my Agility 125 as an errand runner and the combination of its agility (it is well named), CVT and large lockable storage makes it insanely useful.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
wolf kid
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi guys I am selling my almost brand new 2012 sym wolf classic 150 has only about 89 miles on it always stored in the garage email me if you are intrested samtabulin@yahoo.com it is the red and white one
wolf kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
The Wolf Classic is great-looking and no doubt fun to ride. But why would you buy a 150cc motorcycle in the first place? As far as motorcycles go, it's at the bottom of the food chain. And it's not much use on open roads where you can motor along at 65-70 mph, and it's useless for freeways.

Better off, much better off, with the SYM HD200 scooter, which will indeed cruise along at 65-70 mph. It's got great fit and finish, 16" wheels, will hold a whole lot of stuff and the engine is strong and reliable.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
gitsum79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
The SYM Wolf is a fun, reliable and economical motorcycle. It is surprisingly peppy for an air-cooled 150. Great for a commuter bike if you travel light. But for running errands and grabbing some groceries, it's not even close to a 150cc scooter with a flat floorboard.

There are lots of quality scooters in the $1800 - $2500 price range.

Tomos Nitro 150 (made by SYM), Lance (made by SYM) Cali Classic - PCH - Havana 150, Kymco Agility 125, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 200i.

That being said I still miss my Wolf Classic 150...
Old 10-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #14
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitsum79 View Post
The SYM Wolf is a fun, reliable and economical motorcycle. It is surprisingly peppy for an air-cooled 150. Great for a commuter bike if you travel light. But for running errands and grabbing some groceries, it's not even close to a 150cc scooter with a flat floorboard.

There are lots of quality scooters in the $1800 - $2500 price range.

Tomos Nitro 150 (made by SYM), Lance (made by SYM) Cali Classic - PCH - Havana 150, Kymco Agility 125, Kymco Super 8 150, Kymco Like 200i.

That being said I still miss my Wolf Classic 150...
so what is the attaction of the wolf, you think?

i was at a dealer today and sat on one. even at 6'3 it was OK and everything looked good and seemed well built. i was genuinely impressed with its looks and aesthetic quality

you had one so i can't say for sure, but seems it would make as you say, a fun little get around bike. it is cool looking which can't be said of most scooters, and you get to shift. which is a plus for many and why they DON'T buy scooters

as i looked at one today next to an HD200 if i wanted a small engine motorcycle for city streets and congested freeways moving at 50-60mph it seems a nice little motorcycle. the HD200 parked next to it? well, looks like a big scooter. good as we all know it is

you must miss your Wolf for a reason, gitsum?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
gitsum79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I miss the Wolf because it was fun and it looked really nice. While it was pretty decent on civilized dirt roads, it was pretty cramped with a passenger. Too small for any useful sized saddlebags, a seat bag was the only option for any cargo duties, but then no place for a passenger and no place to stow two helmets. A bit small for touring, but doable on two lane highways.

Once the fun and cool factor faded a bit, the lack of practicality became more noticeable. For my use a little runabout bike needs to have functional storage/cargo capability and the extra weather protection of a scooter is nice.

On the flat floorboard I have carried a car battery, 25 pound box of kitty litter, huge bag of pet food and other large/heavy items that even a larger motorcycle would not be able to handle. You can carry groceries on the bag hook, under the seat or in the top case. You can secure two helmets out of sight and a center stand sure is handy. For extended rides having multiple positions for your feet makes a big difference in comfort. I like to shift too, but a well tuned scooter transmission works seamlessly and feels peppy.

I like all small bikes, both scooters and motorcycles and have had up to six at one time. But if I only had one, practicality beats fun on a day to day basis. In their own way, scooters are also fun and entertaining.