Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
TigerXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
It reminds me of a few military sayings..."a plan will get you to the line of departure"... And "it is not a really adventure until something goes wrong".

Good to hear that you have recovered and are back on course, enjoying the unusual heat of BC.
TigerXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerXC View Post
It reminds me of a few military sayings..."a plan will get you to the line of departure"... And "it is not a really adventure until something goes wrong".

Good to hear that you have recovered and are back on course, enjoying the unusual heat of BC.

Well, ever since the border crossing the bike has been riding flawlessly! I hope it keeps it up. This morning we saw a wolf run briskly across the road.

Thanks Tim!!!
Yukon Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Day 3: GrizzLee’s View
The day started out as it ended the night before… cool. But it wasn’t to last. An 1 ½ into the ride up the Yellow Head hwy. and the temperatures were already touching the 90’s. HOT!!!!! Johann rode out in front for a while and we saw our first interesting wildlife cross the road. It was a wolf. Three bounds and it crossed the hwy. and back in the bush…. disappearing as fast as it appeared. We are in Prince George looking for bits to accommodate my GoPro. I lost most of it somewhere near 100 mile house, probably along the road at Green Lake. I am not happy about that to say the least. I need an adapter for my micro SD card and cables to charge the camera and batteries. I also lost my LCD backpack and the remote....but, life goes on and besides that and the incredible heat, we are having a great time.

Hope to make it somewhere near Smither's B.C. today... We'll see where we end up.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #19
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 484
Update: Mile 898

Update...
A quick stop in the visitor's center in Prince George and we found a Future Shop to get the missing bits for the camera. I am still missing a few accessories, but what I have should do just fine. Beginning tomorrow we should be able to start shooting video.

The hot weather wouldn't relent until we got just outside of a small native town called Burns Lake in B.C. A quick bite and then we were off. It was now 7:00 pm and we were hoping to arrive at Smithers B.C. before days end. Within 40 minutes the sky (now cloudy and cool) opened up on us. We arrived in Houston B.C. just in time to get a motel for the night. We are now in bed, all cozy and dry. Not what we planned, but we are very happy to be out of the heat.

Some pics from today's trip... Not many as the humid heat took sucked most of the energy out of us. Stopping meant sweating more in our riding gear and helmets.

Strange Graffiti underneath the bridge out in the middle of nowhere, where the Yellow Head Hwy Crosses the Goat River

Approaching Prince George from the South, I come across this interesting road named "Boeing Rd"

Now, that is strange... I heard Boeing makes pretty good airplanes, but... this far north

During the heat wave, scenes like this were pretty common. We'd stop, re-hydrate and take a quick nap.

The rest stops were always beautiful and we always tried to find ones with picnic tables and SHADE!!!

Time to turn in for the night.

Johann says goodnight and thanks for riding along.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Nisga’a Memorial Lava Bed Park

We woke up around 7 am, refreshed and ready for another day. Today we plan on running into Smithers to grab some breakfast and then we start our day, we are going to the Nisga’a Memorial Lava Bed Park. We have gone through there before in a motorhome and loved it, now we want to experience it in a different way. There is a dirt road the cuts over to Hwy 37, the Cassiar. If all goes well, we should arrive in Stewart/Hyder in a couple of days. The weather reports states it’s supposed to cool off today in comparison to yesterday’s high 80’s/90's with high humidity

GrizzLee's Comment...

Yes, we are headed to "Anhuluut’ukwsim Laxmihl Angwinga’Asanskwhl Nisga’a". Please try and pronounce that... I dare you to pronounce it correctly.
(a.k.a. Nisga’a Memorial Lava Bed Park). In any event, the weather is looking pretty spectacular the next few days. I hope it holds.

From our trip in 2011. The trip that whetted our appetite for the area.

Baby bear that Johann photographed back then at the lava beds. Cute bugger.

Yes, we have bear spray with us.

Stay tuned. We will more than likely not have wi-fi access for quite some time.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
this message is self destructing...

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 09:25 AM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Thanks for taking us along, fellas! Sorry to hear about losing the technology bag. Nothing a credit card and a small city can't fix, though.

What a cool ride thus far! Hope the heat breaks for you guys. Canada and Alaska at 60-75F are pretty spectacular.

Johann, looks like your riding skills are serving you well. Keep your dad in line! Oh, and I learned on my only ride with him that if you act busy at a stop, he'll clean your windshield for you.

Sean
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #23
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
Thanks for taking us along, fellas! Sorry to hear about losing the technology bag. Nothing a credit card and a small city can't fix, though.

What a cool ride thus far! Hope the heat breaks for you guys. Canada and Alaska at 60-75F are pretty spectacular.

Johann, looks like your riding skills are serving you well. Keep your dad in line! Oh, and I learned on my only ride with him that if you act busy at a stop, he'll clean your windshield for you.

Sean
Thanks Sean... It has cooled off. We had a very nice ride out to the end of the Nisgea hwy to Ginglox(sp?) where the Nass river empties into the ocean. Perfect weather on a normally rainy coastal forest. From there we could see the entrance to the Portland Canal into Alaska. We rode some more dirt today over to the Cassiar hwy. We saw lots of bears today. We are currently in Stewart, B.C. Hoping to go to Alaska tomorrow via Hyder up to the Salmon Glacier. More dirt... We have really bad internet connection, so no updates with pics. I guess, if I ride into Hyder, I could technically say that my project is completed But, that is cheating... We have many more miles to go and much more dirt to shake off before we are through.

Yeah, my dad is trying to think of a ways to wash the bikes... It isn't easy to stay clean up here. Our riding gear is really, really dirty, My once clean riding jacket and pants have bug bits embedded in them. I suspect that they will not come out, like my dads jacket. Road tested and a badge of honor.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #24
Bark
Panic Dancer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Johann View Post
Yes, we have bear spray with us.
Save some of the bear spray for the mosquitoes. Because of a weird year they are worse than many of us have seen in a long time.
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Think of the bug-riddled jackets as emergency protein in case your rations run dry.

I remember the Canadians in Ft. Nelson, BC, telling us the "bugs" were bad that year. Seemed like we were being swarmed by mosquitos.

In Alaska, I think they're officially the State bird!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Johann View Post
....Yeah, my dad is trying to think of a ways to wash the bikes... It isn't easy to stay clean up here. ....

Riding those roads and you want to keep the bike clean???

You did say your dad was a bit retentive.....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #27
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Riding those roads and you want to keep the bike clean???

You did say your dad was a bit retentive.....
Yeah, my dad gave up on keeping the bikes clean after the past few days of riding.

We’ve ridden about 250 miles of gravel/dirt. Cranberry Junction from the Nisga’a Lava beds to the Cassiar hwy and then up to the Salmon Glacier outside of Hyder. We then rode down the Stikine Canyon to Telegraph Creek aprox. 150+ miles there and back.

Currently we are in Watson Lake, pouring over maps and checking our schedule. My dad is trying to decide if we have time for the Nahanni Range Road... If we are to try and go to Prudhoe Bay, we may have to skip the Nahanni Range Road.

I’ve been told we may hit the car wash tomorrow. The bikes have calcium crud from the road on them.

My dad says he will try and post some pics before we leave the Air Force Lodge tomorrow. The ride has been astounding so far.

I have come to learn that I really like dirt riding more than highway riding. So I am voting for more gravel travel... which is making my dad more nervous about the dirt, the schedule, and our safety.

Hope to post more when we can…
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #28
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Mileage 1985

Posting from the Air Force Lodge here in Watson Lake.

We are having a blast.... We will post details when we return, but just to whet your appetite here are some pics and a quick summary of the some of the places we've been the last few days.

Destinations..

Prince George
Smithers
Terace
Nisga'a Lava Beds
Cassiar Hwy
Stewart, Hyder (Bear Glacier)
Salmon Galcier
Bell 2 Lodge (we tented there and they had a hot tub )
Dease Lake
Telegraph Creek (Stikine Canyon )
Jade City
Watson Lake

After touring the Salmon Glacier, Johann told me he likes riding in the dirt more than the pavement. We had an incredible ride to Telegraph Creek the following day which just fueled his interest. I think I may have created a monster. I had to slow him down on the way back. He started tearing through the dirt like a pro. I had to remind him that we are far from home, medical and other facilities. However, he is loving the ride and promptly curbed his enthusiasm accordingly He has taken to this dual sport/adventure riding with a passion. My new riding buddy may out pace me before the trip is over.

Start of the Cassiar Hwy... One of the most scenic roads on the planet.

Lava Lake ~ 60 miles outside of Terrace B.C.

Yukon Johann Enjoying the Ride

Evening Sun in the Nisga'a Lava Beds

Camp at Nisga'a Park

Cultural Center/Museum at Nisga'a Park

Yukon Johann at the Bear Glacier

More Yukon Johann

Yukon Johann & GrizzLee at the Salmon Glacier

We Approve This Picture - Priceless

More Views From the Salmon Glacier

Leaving the Bear Glacier

One of the Dozens of Bears We saw Along the Way.

Yukon Johann Along the Cassiar Hwy Near Mt Edziza Park

Keeping an Eye on the Boy

WOW!!!

GrizzLee Approves This View

Yukon Johann trying to move the earth

Camp at the end of town in Telegraph Creek.
We got permission form the Tahltlan Chief to camp here

Yukon Johann... Larger than Life!!!
We made it!!!

GrizzLee screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 11:52 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #29
luloadventure
- LULO -

Oddometer: 97
Great Photos!

... thanks for sharing

"Eres lo que has viajado"

http://lulomotorrad.wordpress.com/
luloadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #30
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Mile 1985 - Part 2

More Random Pictures before we leave today....

Leaving Smithers B.C.

Vetter Falls in Nisga'a Park

Tree Hole Formed by Lava

GrizzLee at the Salmon Glacier

More Views from the road near the Salmon Glacier

More WOW!! of the Cassiar Hwy.