Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,178
well so much for my itinerary. The guy I am travelling with, yes the guy guy who said "I can go whenever", just informed me he can't go for another 30 minutes.

I already have my boots on. Rain is coming. Rush hour is coming.

Oh well, I will play on ADVrider for a while, I guess. I hope this doesn't become the "failure to launch" ride.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,169
Finally, pics!

Sunset Crater

Along the lava flow

Obsessed with the same tree

Apache Plume is everywhere

Lava tube ( gated shut for protection)

On a cinder cone, and you thought your life was difficult...

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"

Little Bike screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 07:28 PM
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #18
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

And, some more pics...

Wupatki National Monument

Wukoki Pueblo

Wall construction, slabs of sandstone

Itty, bitty lizard

There I am!

Little Bike screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 07:49 PM
Old 06-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
well so much for my itinerary. The guy I am travelling with, yes the guy guy who said "I can go whenever", just informed me he can't go for another 30 minutes.

I already have my boots on. Rain is coming. Rush hour is coming.

Oh well, I will play on ADVrider for a while, I guess. I hope this doesn't become the "failure to launch" ride.

Hope you've gotten out of town. There are some really good reasons for traveling solo!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

After leaving the first pueblo (there are several in the park) I raced to the visitor's center to get some water and cool down. Did I mention that it was 100 degrees?

In the parking lot at Wukoki pueblo there was a Kawasaki dual sport on a trailer. I kept looking at it, wanted to see if there was an ADV sticker. Didn't see anything, but saw the same trailer and bike at the visitor's center, and......

Have to finish tomorrow!

Old 06-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #21
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 766

Looking forward to the next installment. Safe travels!
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post

Looking forward to the next installment. Safe travels!
Thanks!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #23
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

OK, we left off with me cooling off in the visitor's center and a Kawasaki on a trailer.

I was sitting on a bench, making a big sweaty puddle, and a guy walks up and introduces himself as a fellow advrider. I asked if he had a sticker, it's the Dakar sticker, ooh, that's why I didn't see it. Anyways, Tom is a super nice guy, we talk for a bit and then he heads off (but not forever!)

I find the coolest spot in the center and stand there a bit before checking out the displays. There are these amazing, very large pots, that were dug out of the cinders, just beautiful. The history here is amazing, the people up the hill having to evacuate their homes due to the series of eruptions that culminated at Sunset Crater and the building of these pueblos down in the heat of the Painted Desert.

Now, there was one thing I found pretty funny. Apparently, Wupatki is not the correct name of the main pueblo, but Wupaki (typical, Europeans not getting the name right.....). The story goes that there was a period of strife in the pueblo, so the chief at the time cut something "long and thin" to solve the problem. Wu, is to cut and paki is long and thin (I think I got that right...) This supposedly solved the pueblo's' internal problems. Now, visitor centers always have to be very careful since children, uptight people etc visit. So, I started wondering "I'm sure archaeologists have something they're not saying about this story about the name"

So, here's my take:

One of the men living in the pueblo was sharing his talents. The women rejoiced. Their husbands did not. The chief was approached by the other men of the pueblo and asked to "solve the problem". Hence, the name of the pueblo.....

Probably also worked really well as a warning to any guys who thought they were all that and then some.

So, that's my explanation for the name of the pueblo! Perfectly plausible.

It was really HOT so I decided to see the other ruins from the back of the bike. Tried to find ice cream in Flagstaff, or a cafe, but no go. I found the older part of town, but there was no place to park. Hit a Wendy's on the way back to camp. Oh well.

The next day I have to get from the mountain island of Flagstaff, across the desert, to the beginning of the Rockies portion of this trip. Durango, here I come, cool weather, yay! Now, I just have to get across the desert...

Little Bike screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 09:46 PM
Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
antipode
Wanderer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
Now, there was one thing I found pretty funny. Apparently, Wupatki is not the correct name of the main pueblo, but Wupaki (typical, Europeans not getting the name right.....). The story goes that there was a period of strife in the pueblo, so the chief at the time cut something "long and thin" to solve the problem. Wu, is to cut and paki is long and thin (I think I got that right...) This supposedly solved the pueblo's' internal problems. Now, visitor centers always have to be very careful since children, uptight people etc visit. So, I started wondering "I'm sure archaeologists have something they're not saying about this story about the name"
Hi Sue,

I like your explanation better than the boring "wupatki means tall building"

Eagerly following your report, I will be in the same area in September so I am collecting tips and 'must see'.

Travel safe.
Pablo
Old 07-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Had to go put my clothes in the dryer.

So, the plan is to get up at 4 am and be on the road at 5. Wellll, I didn't get on the road until 6:45. Damn, now I'm really going to suffer. Erg.

Off I go. I decide to stop at the Denny's in Tuba City for breakfast ( since I'm already screwed on the heat, some time for breakfast isn't going to make any difference). I pay, turn to leave and there's Tom and Kate! We sit and talk while they're having breakfast - great people (I forgot to ask if he and Kate were friends or married, they're traveling all over - Tom is then going to get his bike and ride solo to Glacier NP). They're from Charleston, NC. Just a little ways from home!

Back down the toasty road. The ride is very pretty, but I'm definitely not enjoying the ride as much as I could (oh, like, if it had been subarctic temps- hypothermia was sounding like a wonderful thing).

I have to stop for gas in Kayenta and I'm just about to give it up for the day. At this point it's 102. I didn't realize that Monument Valley was right there, going to have to come back in spring. I pull up to the pump and I see a familiar face! Tom and Kate! It's mutual stalking!

Tom tells me something beautiful, they have ice! And suddenly I have an idea.

I pour water all over my tshirt (no, it wasn't white.....), and with advice from Kate, tie a water soaked bandana around my neck. Now, for the plan.

I take my waterproof jacket liner and put in about 8 cups of ice, roll it up like a burrito, wrap it across my stomach and zipper my riding jacket over the whole thing. Wheeeee, it feels so good! I'll be the only person in history to get tummy frostbite in Arizona at the end of June!

I look like I'm about 7 months pregnant.

"Hey Doris, do you see that there motorcycle rider? The one that looks like one of them tennis balls?"

"Yep, I see him Bert. Is that a man or a woman? He better have been drinking too much beer, a woman wouldn't be so stupid to ride a motorcycle 7 months pregnant or she should be ashamed of herself!"

"Do you think we should call the police?"

I say my goodbyes to Tom and Kate, we joke that I'll see them in another hour or so. Tom is headed up to Glacier, so maybe!

Between the bandana and the stomach ice pack, I make the rest of the ride in relative comfort. I stop and redo the bandana a few times and dump on some more water (the ice lasted about 75 miles, not bad!)

I didn't realize that I was going right by 4 Corners. Wow, it's changed since I was a kid. Used to be a monument with nothing around. Now you have to pay $3 a head and there's a giant restaurant/shop. The surrounding area has been bull dozed and is not attractive at all. Too bad, was really neat when there was just the monument and the desert.

Crossed into Colorado, yay! Then the temperature went up to 106. Wait a minute! That's not fair! Argh, onward.

After going through some roadwork areas and more beautiful desert I got into Cortez and then Durango. First step into the Rockies! Wait, it's hot here too!

Up into the mountains tomorrow and out of the heat.

Little Bike screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 09:37 PM
Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #26
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Just a pic, would have liked to stop for pics on the way to Durango, but......

Maxwell, ready to leave Bonito Campground at Sunset Crater

Tomorrow, over the pass to Ouray!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #27
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode View Post
Hi Sue,

I like your explanation better than the boring "wupatki means tall building"

Eagerly following your report, I will be in the same area in September so I am collecting tips and 'must see'.

Travel safe.
Pablo
Makes way more sense to me!. I envy you, the fall colors will be beautiful

Old 07-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 424
Hey Sue,
I got the KLR off the trailer today for its introduction to high altitude riding. Took a bit of persuasion to get it running (Quite understandable since it was raised in Charleston, SC). Crossed the continental divide a few times to see if we are ready for the trip to OR and then on to MT. After a couple of attempts to throw me off...we reached an agreement of mutual satisfaction. Maybe we will see you in MT.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #29
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Hey Sue,
I got the KLR off the trailer today for its introduction to high altitude riding. Took a bit of persuasion to get it running (Quite understandable since it was raised in Charleston, SC). Crossed the continental divide a few times to see if we are ready for the trip to OR and then on to MT. After a couple of attempts to throw me off...we reached an agreement of mutual satisfaction. Maybe we will see you in MT.

You wrangle that bike into submission!
Rode Independence Pass today, wow!
I hope I see you in Glacier, I'm in Leadville tonight, running several days behind on the ride report. Trying to find someplace to hang out july 3 and 4, everything on the east side is booked, going to try steamboat springs or somewhere near there.
safe trip!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #30
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 424
I'm in Lake City for the July 4th festivities. Got tickets for an early screening of the new Lone Ranger movie. This town rocks...just have to watch for jeeps falling of the mountain.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote