Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #31
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
I'm in Lake City for the July 4th festivities. Got tickets for an early screening of the new Lone Ranger movie. This town rocks...just have to watch for jeeps falling of the mountain.
I'm in Steamboat Springs, supposed to have a huge fireworks show. If the theaters are open tomorrow I was thinking about seeing a movie.

How was the Lone Ranger?

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #32
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 402
We're seeing Lone Ranger this evening...after the town parade and neighborhood cookout. No fireworks due to wildfire concerns. Happy 4th
CharlestonADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #33
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Durango to Ouray

Get a really late start - 11! Ooops. An hour time change always seems to mess me up more than flying somewhere with a big change. It's smoky - the front desk clerk thinks its coming from the fire over by Wolf Pass, I hope it clears out when I gain altitude.

Beautiful ride! I didn't take many pictures, it was hazy out and there were few pullouts that were safe for a big, heavy touring bike (thick gravel - yipes!)

Had lunch in Silverton (saw the Durango/Silverton train come in, I rode it when I was a kid) and headed up to Red Mountain Pass. The Continental Divide and high! 11,018 feet. Now I know why I was huffing and puffing.

I was going to set up my camera for a timed pic, but you can almost always rely on somebody to take your picture. Good thing, I bought one of those little tripods that you wrap around things and I wasn't having any luck getting it to stay on a pole (the legs weren't quite long enough).

Continued down the gazillion dollar highway to Ouray. I had made reservations the night before, but I forgot one little detail....the name of the hotel! The hunt is on! I start at the south end of town, stopped in a couple of likely looking places (its amazing how you can fool yourself into a name sounding familiar). Nope, no reservation for you here. I ask one clerk if he knew the name of the small hotel where all of the rooms looked over the river. He told me that its either the Hot Springs Hotel or some other one I can't remember the name of. I got directions to go to the north side of town and turn left. I followed the directions and I was back at the places I'd already checked out! Plus, if you turned left you ended up on the hill. Wha? Asked for directions again, I'm thinking that guy punked me - he actually didnt, and was told I did want the Hot Springs Hotel and it was past the pool on the north side. At this point I realized that I had gone to the south of town! I think I was a little tired...

Checked in, had a good laugh with the front desk about my adventures around town, I can't tell you how good it felt to have my name in their computer. Nice place, highly recommend if you're in Ouray. After being there about 1/2 hour I called the front desk to see if I could stay another night - no go, completely booked up. Oh well. Fell asleep and didn't wake up until 7 pm. Power Bar for dinner.

There was a blue Super Tenere with Louisiana plates and an ADV sticker - didn't see them and didn't think putting a note on their bike that said "I'm Sue, on the black v-strom, I'm in room 121) was a real good idea. Saw lots of dual sports - everybody's riding those wonderful dirt roads that I'll have to catch on another trip (once my dirt riding skills progress - a lot!)

Still really warm - in the 90s. I'd heard the road was scary, I found it to be fine for riding and stunningly beautiful. Pics in next post.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #34
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Durango to Ouray Pics

Colorado is known for its hot springs. Saw this one on the west side of the pass.
I call it:

Saggy Boob Hot Spring

Million Dollar Highway, south of Ouray

Steep drop under the bridge, tall waterfall.

Looking back up the road, wish I had pictures at the top. There is a set of highly mineralized peaks, all colors of red,yellow and orange. You can really see the haze.

Yep, these rocks used to be under water. Ancient ripple marks that have been tilted vertical. Forces at work!

What the road used to look like....alright you dual sporters!

One of many tunnels over the next few days

Little Bike screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 10:16 AM
Old 07-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #35
Bigbore4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
There was a blue Super Tenere with Louisiana plates and an ADV sticker - didn't see them and didn't think putting a note on their bike that said "I'm Sue, on the black v-strom, I'm in room 121) was a real good idea.
I have considered having cards made up with my forum handle and cell number for this very reason. I have never yet had an issue while on the road alone, but you just never know.

Sounds like a fun trip, keeping it casual. Ride safe, continue having fun!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #36
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore4 View Post
I have considered having cards made up with my forum handle and cell number for this very reason. I have never yet had an issue while on the road alone, but you just never know.

Sounds like a fun trip, keeping it casual. Ride safe, continue having fun!
The cards are a good idea, better than a note that made me sound like a hooker.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #37
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Sue:

When I was near Durango a few years ago we went to Mesa Verde but never knew about the road to Ouray. Now it is on my wish list

thank you for your photos

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #38
duncanmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Hello Sue

Delighted to see you are on the road again; and journalling. Congratulations on acquiring Maxwell and I am sure you will take care of each other as you travel.

We are three weeks away from our ride (we leave Portland OR July 28) and it cannot come soon enough. It would be amazing if our paths were to cross. We shall see; but regardless, keep doing what you are doing!

Best wishes from Down Under.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #39
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,040

looks like a great time. I did the Million dollar Hwy a long time ago. Awesome ride!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Very unique....

"I will lift up mine eyes" was my mothers favorite verse and it was read at her funeral in 1991. How the time flies since that's 22 years ago already!

The Million Dollar Highway is something that I haven't heard of before but it looks like it would get your attention! Thanks for the RR.....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #41
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
Sue:

When I was near Durango a few years ago we went to Mesa Verde but never knew about the road to Ouray. Now it is on my wish list

thank you for your photos

bob
Ouray is a neat town and there are a ton of fun looking dirt roads taking off from the road going over the pass

Old 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #42
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
Hello Sue

Delighted to see you are on the road again; and journalling. Congratulations on acquiring Maxwell and I am sure you will take care of each other as you travel.

We are three weeks away from our ride (we leave Portland OR July 28) and it cannot come soon enough. It would be amazing if our paths were to cross. We shall see; but regardless, keep doing what you are doing!

Best wishes from Down Under.
Hey again! It might happen, I'm getting the maps out tonight. That would be great, have an amazing time!

Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #43
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
"I will lift up mine eyes" was my mothers favorite verse and it was read at her funeral in 1991. How the time flies since that's 22 years ago already!

The Million Dollar Highway is something that I haven't heard of before but it looks like it would get your attention! Thanks for the RR.....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Definitely ride the pass, you'll love it. Independence pass is amazing too

Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #44
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,549
Solo rides are great fun as you mentioned it open you up for more interaction with others along the way.

I'll be following along and enjoying your ride.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #45
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Ouray to Gunnison

Wow, I am sooo behind in posting!

I reluctantly left Ouray, I wanted to stay another day, but the entire hotel was booked. Bummer.....

Headed out and made my way to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. As you wind up the road to the park you would never know there is a huge canyon just on the other side of the hills.

There are 2 roads you can take; the west road skirts along the side of the canyon, the east road goes down to the dam with a 20% grade and a lot of exposure. Welllll, I went west.

Stopped at the visitor's center and bought a stuffed toy northern flicker for a mascot, he now rides on top of the load. When I left the visitor's center there was a man looking at my bike. Hmm. Turns out he was taking a picture of the reclining trucker sticker on the left box. That sticker had caused great hilarity on this trip!

Short, but very pretty ride. There are a number of pullouts where you can walk out to viewpoints. Man, I was sooo lazy! I didn't feel like clomping down the trail in my squeaky Sidi Crossfires (I keep forgetting to fix the squeaks!).

Headed east to Gunnison. I wanted to get to Salida, but my butt was hurting and the sky was very black to the east. I was going to pitch a tent at the koa, but the wind started howling. Off to a motel. Ran into some bikers, one guy on a GS (we yakked a bit), waved at a couple on a Harley, they ignored me. Ah well.
Pics to follow.