Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #61
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
You have made me very happy: I have just bought the NEX6 for all the reasons you articulate; and from your posts the quality of the pics is really superb.

Waterproof mitts have just gone onto the shopping list. Thanks for the info.
You're really going to like your camera. It's very easy to use and most of the operating instructions are stored in the camera.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #62
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Leadville to Steamboat Springs

Survived the mice in the ceiling and really tried to find a campground in the Estes Park area for July 4th, apparently so did everybody else!

Hmmm, how about Steamboat Springs? Found a neat looking b and b. off I went south before heading west. When I rode into Leadville I had seen these big rocks with numbers painted on and holes drilled into most of the numbers. ?

I stopped and took a plethora of photos and was just about to leave, still mystified, when a truck pulled out through the gate closing off an old looking mining area. I hailed him down and met Tom, who rides a lot and is a fellow adver. Amongst other things we talked about the boulders. Each year there is a drilling contest that is part of Leadville's Boom Days. Each team is assigned a random number for their part of the boulder to drill. While I'm an unwilling supporter of mining, when Tom told me that fewer and fewer people were participating in the contest I thought it a little sad. All of the mines around Leadville are closed except for the Climax molybdenum mine, and since it's open pit, I felt like a part of history was being lost.

NOW, heading north again. Passed by the Climax and whoa, there was a very strange building. It was a giant dome that looked like something out of a bad science fiction movie. What the heck? I wasn't able to get a pic, I still need to look it up on the net, unless one of you know?

Past the mine is a valley that once contained several mining towns, they're now buried until the tailings from the mine. There was an interesting sign describing the reclamation process, but the valley doesn't look very hospitable to life yet. Huge area.

Had a really good sandwich at the 70 intersection, then heartburn the rest of the day, almost worth it! Lots of bicyclists on a very windy day, no wonder they all look in great shape. I would have keeled over in the first mile.....

I didn't take any pics for the rest of the ride (lack of pullouts again, grrrr), so I'll let you know that it was beautiful! Lots of meadows with piles of wildflowers and 2 wonderful passes (really liked Rabbit Foot). You then drop down into Steamboat. I stopped at a market to pick up a new toothbrush and floss. I had a little accident with a spray can of Lotrimin that morning.....your feet get pretty funky after being in hot boots all day, nuf said....anyhoo, when I was zippering my bathroom stuff case I heard this ominous hiss, NOOOOOOO! I'd just hosed down everything with Lotrimin. Geez......

Got rained on a bit in the parking lot. Was packing up when some random guy came up and said "there was a motorcycle accident yesterday, one guy died" I'm thinking, that's really awful (it was a group of German riders who had rented bikes). Usually when somebody relates this kind of information to you they then tell you, nicely, to be careful. Not this guy, it almost sounded like he enjoyed telling me. What is it about people (almost always nonriders) who have this compulsion to tell you about particularly gruesome motorcycles accidents? I mentioned the conversation to the b and b owner, she said people did the same thing to her with pregnancy stories. Geez, people can be morbid!

Oops, more later, have to split.

Little Bike screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 09:45 AM
Old 07-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #63
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,654
Hi Sue

Just found this ride report. Good to hear you're back on the road. I always enjoy your writing style & perspective on the places you visit.

Western Colorado is one of my favorite places and one of several places i am considering for retirement.

Enjoy the rest of your ride, stay safe and keep the chrome side up.....

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #64
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
Hi Sue

Just found this ride report. Good to hear you're back on the road. I always enjoy your writing style & perspective on the places you visit.

Western Colorado is one of my favorite places and one of several places i am considering for retirement.

Enjoy the rest of your ride, stay safe and keep the chrome side up.....
Hey Gregg!
I really liked Steamboat Springs (except the average home price is $512,000....) If you want to be waaaay out I also really liked Austin nv. Opposite sides of the spectrum, for sure!
thanks for the well wishes!
Sue

Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #65
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Okey dokey, the rest of Steamboat Springs. I find a b and b called The Victorian. Really good reviews on Trip Advisor, but pricey. Oh wellllllll, hehehe. I get a room on the 3rd floor so when I arrive I have to haul all of my crap up there, the lady who,checked me in gave me a hand, thank goodness, and there was an elevator to the 2nd floor. I was the only one there besides the owners, a very nice Aussie couple who bought the place last year and this was their first visit back.
I ended up crashing for the rest of the day, almost forgot to put my card downstairs for when and what I wanted for breakfast.

Next morning I ended up eating at the kitchen counter chatting with Jane, the chef and the owners. It was really nice, rather than sitting by myself, we kind of all had breakfast together in the kitchen. Nice lazy day, went and saw The Lone Ranger, really liked it, clever how the writers told the story and good use of comedy. Tried to get some dinner/lunch in town, no place to park, oh well. Everybody saw my motorcycle go by about 10 times....

It was 4th of July and I was going to go to the parade and the rodeo and the fireworks.....yeah, right! Instead I took a nap and read after seeing the movie. Jane told me that could see the fireworks from the back deck, yay! Unfortunately, I was snoozing.....however, the fireworks woke me up. I had a window behind the headboard and when I looked out I could see just fine so I piled up some pillows and sat there with my chin on the top of the headboard. Was great, until........I hear the door open......This guy had checked in that day and had the room right next to mine. For some reason he apparently thought it was ok to go into other rooms, he walked right in! Say what!!! Fortunately, I had the lights off, because I was sitting there in nothing but a tshirt and underwear. He sounded like he wanted to come in and watch, um, buddy, you just walked into somebody else's room, uninvited, um, I need to put some jeans on....very strange guy. Kept the door locked after that! I talked to him the next morning, he was still completely clueless about the night before. and he's a chiropractor. OK, I use chiropractors for pain relief type stuff. Well....this guy was into balancing energies and how we were coming into a golden age and then he started lecturing me about how the use of antidepressants is a conspiracy between the drug companies and doctors to get people hooked so they can make money (and a bunch of other new agie, very odd ideas about the world that I can't even remember now) and you can balance out the chemicals in a person's brain (he went on to talk about left/right brain mumbo jumbo, this is the kind of guy who give chiropractors a bad rep)..I was very nice and listened and threw in a few points and then told him point blank that I would never agree with him about the antidepressants and gave some personal examples of how helpful and life changing (when used appropriately) they can be. He gave me some odd references to look at that proved that those drugs turn you into a potato after taking them for 30 years. Those drugs haven't been around for 30 years! Okay...off my soapbox.....sensitive subject. Other than that he was a nice guy, just, in my mind, completely whacked. That morning he left to go prospecting for palladium using dowsing rods (I kid you not).

I really wanted to stay another day, but alas, they were booked up. Bye Jane, great person to just sit and chat with and a really good cook (and owns a nice, sloppy, just pet me dog) Got some cranberry pumpkin bread as a send off.

Tbc

Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #66
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Steamboat Springs to Vernal

After leaving The Victorian, kicking and screaming, I headed west towards Vernal. About 20 years ago I spent a year at Utah State and while there I always meant to go to Dinosaur National Monument, but never made it. Now was my chance! The plan was to stay at one of the campgrounds at the park's east entrance.

Pretty nice ride, saw a pronghorn antelope with 2 babies! And a section of one of the wagon routes. I kept thinking that as those people saw what was coming up all they could say was "oooh shit....."

Weather Underground (whose website I no longer use) said that the temperatures in the town of Dinosaur (get it, Dinosaur....!) we're going to be in the high 70s to low 80s. Not so much, try mid to high 90s. At this point I wasn't worried because the campground was up about 1500' higher (or more). I stopped at the visitor's center to get some info and the info was not good...the campground I wanted to stay at was only accessible from the north entrance. Nooooooo! There is a higher campground on the south side, that sounded really nice, but it's up a questionable dirt road. Its late afternoon, I'm hot and tired so I dont even consider checking it out. But I definitely will come back! Like in spring....

The ranger tells me that there is another campground on the river (The Green, I think) just outside of Vernal. I'm a little skeptical about the temps, "does it have shade trees?". Yes, but all of those sites may be taken. Oof. When I cross the river before the campground turnoff it's 96. Oookay, maybe one more day under roof sounds good. On into Vernal.

Check in, had a big lunch so later I walk down to the 7/11 for some ice cream. The western sky is black, glad I'm not riding through that. There were weather warnings for that day for central to southwestern Utah, 60 mph winds, lightning, heavy rain, warnings to take cover. It's still hot, I'm kind of wishing that was happening in Vernal. The next day the news reported that some hours received 1/2 inch of rain (or more) in one hour, amazing.

Next day, off to see the dinosaurs! By the way, there is a 25' wood dinosaur at the entry to my motel and a giant fiberglass pink dinosaur down the street.

The road to the park entrance has a giant blue dinosaur and outside the visitors center is a black, tan and white beer, I mean, dinosaur. Out the back you pick up a free shuttle to the dig site. I'll let you fnd the whole history of the dig elsewhere, but basically, around the early 1900s dinosaur bones were found. The particular rock layer turned out to be full of dinosaur fossils. The theory is that there was a river, the river dried, animals died, ended up in the riverbed and when the rains returned were buried by sediments.

You really need to go. You walk into a 2 story building and face a rock wall with a slant of about 45 degrees. Embedded in the wall are dinosaur vertebra and leg bones and stegosaurus armor plates and a skull and.......just go see it! There is still work being done in the park, but dinosaur fossil bed is mostly excavated. The current work, I believe, had to do with finding the fossils of the much smaller vertebrates and plant species.

Afterwards I walked down the same road I went up on the shuttle bus. There is a 1.5 mile trail from the dig site back to the visitors center, but it was pretty hot and the hills are light colored and reflecting the heat. And there's people. I can only handle so many people before I'm done. So, down the road that I have completely to myself. Wow. Besides the dinosaurs, the monument is beautiful. After getting back to Maxwell I rode to the campground on that side and wow, amazing country. And there are other entrances to the park that I won't see on this trip. Definitely coming back, in the spring, not summer.

Took pics, really sorry I didn't take pics of the boat launch area (there's is a lot of rafting on the Green and Yampa Rivers), there is a massive, curved, overhanging sandstone cliff down to the river. It was the middle of the day so I didn't think the exposure would be very good, sorry now. Did end up taking pics later, really couldn't help it. The park has a network of dirt roads to all kinds of neat things like petroglyphs, next time! I'm an absolute disaster on dirt roads on the Vstrom, sheesh. I'm a dripping mess when I get back to my room. So, food, back to motel, nap, a little journaling and wow, the wind is really howling outside. The next morning I wimp out and stay one more day because of the weather reports. Just kind of hang out, hotter day than yesterday.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #67
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Promise pics tomorrow!

I was just about finished downloading a bunch of pictures and I got booted off the net!!! &@€#% and then some!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #68
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Some Leadville pics

Boom Days drilling competition boulders

Climax Molybdenum Mine, I think there used to be a mountain there...

Valley of the Climax Mine tailings

Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #69
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Thar be dinosaurs!

And the real ones...

Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #70
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,025
cool!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #71
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
cool!

Isn't that place neat?! I'm going back when the weather is cooler

Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #72
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

A little wandering around Dinosaur NM

Abbey road?

I like lichens

Imagine taking photos here in the morning or near sunset

Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #73
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,025
I am so envious. I have been to Colorado many times. Even lived there for a couple of years. I am dying to go back to visit.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #74
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 398
Hi Sue,
Looms like we are covering some of the same country. I was at Dinosaur NM two weeks ago. With exception for loads of antsat the river campsite, the place is terrific. BTW, I'm currently in Boise and headed to Salem, OR for the BMW rally...on my KLR.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #75
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Hi Sue,
Looms like we are covering some of the same country. I was at Dinosaur NM two weeks ago. With exception for loads of antsat the river campsite, the place is terrific. BTW, I'm currently in Boise and headed to Salem, OR for the BMW rally...on my KLR.
You know you're going to get kicked out of the rally, right? . Hope you brought pictures of your GS!

I'm wishing I was on a klr right now, I have passed up waaaay too many awesome looking dirt roads. Have a safe ride, looks like I'm not going to see you in Glacier, but I have a feeling that I'll run into you somewhere again!

Keep me posted on your trip
Sue