User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Twotires OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Eh? Kneed some help

I just bought a new wee-strom in preparation for a 4 week cross US trip ill be taking at the end of the summer. I love my wee but my knees really miss my old cruiser's forward controls. This weekend I put 260 miles on my bike and my knee tightens up and begins to ache after about 90 minutes. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem and while I'm all for the Tylenol route I'm hoping somebody on here knows some good exercises or tricks to build up my bent-knee endurance? I'm 6' tall and have 28yr old knees and I'm an avid runner- ill try anything (except quitting running).

BTW- I'm already looking at highway pegs for my wee.
Twotires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Never stop moving, that's my technique, I keep my passenger seat clear as well, so I can manage as many different positions as possible:
drivers seat, main pegs.
drivers seat, hiway pegs
drivers seat, passenger pegs
passenger seat, main pegs,
passenger seat, passenger pegs
main pegs, standing
passenger pegs standing
main pegs, squatting
passenger pegs, squatting
and then start all over again
Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
You can buy a different saddle which can have a higher riding position. 3/4" makes a lot of difference. You can buy lower pegs which also make a difference. You can add highway pegs to your Strom. And then you just need to keep moving yourself around as much as you can. I stand up when I can (construction zones, town speed zones, etc) and that helps work the knees a bit.

But do take solace in the fact that it will get better. My first multiday ride made my knees ache, and they are still sketchy (37 years of hockey) but the more I ride the better they get. With the mild winters of late I've managed pretty well with a taller saddle and lower pegs (Fastways in the low position) and haven't had to put my knees through 'spring training.'

Your arse will toughen up as will your knees if given enough saddle time. Don't forget to take breaks, stretch your legs (stretch like you would before and after running) and walk around a bit. It may seem all Iron-Butt to roll into a fuel stop and fill while on the bike and roar off, but I know I can do more miles in a day if I stop and get a stretch at the fuel stops. Otherwise by the time the end of the day comes I'm completely knackered.

I try to average between 6 and 800 miles a day if I'm trying to get someplace cool, and where I live I have to hammer through a lot boring, shitey Midwest to go elsewhere. Once I'm there I can slow down and I don't care if I do 200 miles a day as long as I get to see the place. I averaged 500 + miles a day going to Newfoundland because there isn't fuck-all to do on the trans-lab but ride. Once your arse and knees are conditioned it's a piece of piss.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 969
Yes I do the Austinjake riding method, butt on the back seat calfs on cylinder heads, or driver pegs, one of each, balls on gas tank feet on passenger pegs, etc..etc..

It's all I can offer, YMMV....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
After riding 260 miles, can ANY bike be comfortable?

Heck no.

Put in 2500 quick miles and reevaluate. Then you might have a better idea what you need, if anything.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,841
I assume you are on the stock wee seat?

The wee seat is horrible, not just for comfort, but also for taller guys. It's definitely a compromise to get shorter guys to fit the bike.

I was going to say the 1000 seat is a step up from the wee seat, but I'm thinking now you are on a 2012+ Wee-strom, so not sure there is a "tall" version of the seat? The best way to go though is a custom seat. Its money well spent. I've got a Russell Day Long that has been on all 5 of my Vstrom's and has well over 100k miles on it. Nothing else even compares. Even my Bill Mayer seat doesn't come close nor do other seats I've tried.

Give yourself some time too as you'll become more accustomed to the riding position, but a better seat will really help.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
+1

What he said:
>>The wee seat is horrible, not just for comfort, but also for taller guys. It's definitely a compromise to get shorter guys to fit the bike.<<

and

>>Give yourself some time too as you'll become more accustomed to the riding position, but a better seat will really help. <<
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Never stop moving, that's my technique, I keep my passenger seat clear as well, so I can manage as many different positions as possible:
drivers seat, main pegs.
drivers seat, hiway pegs
drivers seat, passenger pegs
passenger seat, main pegs,
passenger seat, passenger pegs
main pegs, standing
passenger pegs standing
main pegs, squatting
passenger pegs, squatting
and then start all over again
all this plus find someone with a vstrom 1000 and swap seats to get added height or have more foam added to your seat with a new vinyl. Even 1" additional will make a very large difference and the foam won't cost that much.

edited to add: I just did 8 months on a stock weestrom seat and never had a problem with it except it was a little low

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996

Slowphil screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 04:35 PM
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
There's been some good advice given so far. Not being sure what gear you ride with, I'll mention this anyway. Knee protectors- the pressure these have on your knees should not be underestimated, especially on long days in the saddle. Not having them fitted correctly can have constant pressure on your knees, causing real discomfort. I've had to really get mine dialed in to get rid of pressure points.

Stretching while riding will help your knees....temporarily, for stiffness. For real relief, I find that getting off the bike for 15 or 20 minutes does wonders. It also helps your backside.
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
Twotires OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks

Thanks for the tips everyone. I went on another 200+ mile ride and changing where i sit and standing on the pegs helped A LOT. I just pulled the trigger on a new Sargent seat to which should help for my 5k+ trip I have in a couple months. As for my knees I'm sure my endurance will be up by then and ill make sure to keep moving/stretching.
Twotires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
RangerShawn
Philosopher

Oddometer: 58
AdventureTech's peg lowering kit

Try a set of these.

http://www.adventuretech.biz/footpeg...ering-kit.html
Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
RangerShawn
Philosopher

Oddometer: 58
Pivot Pegz are helpful too

These pegs, while not giving any extra leg-room, do pivot, so it is much more comfortable to put your feet in various positions while riding. It is also much more comfortable to stand on these.

http://www.pivotpegz.net/
Old 07-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Highway Pegs

I have a 2012 Wee and the seat is comfortable in a way that the earlier ones are not. The first mid I did was get the highway pegs from Dan Vesel
They made all the difference for me.

http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN...ies/page2.html
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote