ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #151
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
"It is also compatible with the same mounts as the Garmin Montana™, so users can take Monterra anywhere."
Good news as having 4 bikes and my van fitted with rugged Montana mounts, I was dreading the day the 'next' gismo came from Garmin.

Looking at the front of the Monterra, the most important access keys are not 'touch-screen', is this correct?
One of the biggest issues with my Montana has been accessing the 'settings' page when the screen calibration has slipped......grrrr!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #152
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Well now that would be handy. Garmin to date has only put that on the high-end nuvi and their "in-car" OEM units to the best of my knowledge. Although quite useful, and as you point out a safety advantage, I don't see them adding it to this device. But, time will tell...is it September yet?
if its andriod google voice to text will be there.....
Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #153
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Good news as having 4 bikes and my van fitted with rugged Montana mounts, I was dreading the day the 'next' gismo came from Garmin.

Looking at the front of the Monterra, the most important access keys are not 'touch-screen', is this correct?
One of the biggest issues with my Montana has been accessing the 'settings' page when the screen calibration has slipped......grrrr!!!
Everything is touch (capacitive) including the standard Android Return, Home and Menu icons you see "below" the "display". Except of course the Power Button and the Volume controls (which are programmable).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #154
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
if its andriod google voice to text will be there.....
As far as the Monterra feature's/function's go, it will depend upon IF Garmin implements THEIR voice navigation. I suppose you could always install any number of Android Navigation apps that might take some voice control.

I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if Garmin included their voice navigation in the Monterra app. History tells us that Garmin will not make the "does-it-all" GPS - they would sell to many of them...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #155
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Montana and can't read the small text

I have to send a Montana back to GPS city. Just can't see the text and tried larger text and nuvi format for turn by turn and various dashboard functions.

GPS City have been very fast shippers and no fuss return authority. Might have been unlucky when I phoned for advice yesterday though. Seemed to get a sleepy guy where I had to keep trying to squeeze answers out to my problem.

Makes me feel old.... 55 yesterday. Did want the ability to use maps from cannonshot, he's done such a huge amount of work on different maps and rides.

I can see text on the Garmin 4.3" and 5" GPS in car and mounted on bike.

Got excited by the new Monterra. 5-6 weeks wait and no increase in screen size though. Probably more viewing versatile with the android system.

Seems I'm going back to using Nuvi or maybe Zumo and will wait on new developments with screen size etc. any suggestions welcome. Bluetooth turn by turn nav is an option but don't want to depend on having batteries charged in receiver.

Trail bandit screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 06:39 AM
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #156
afmeyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Is it possible that because the screen is within your usual reading distance the text is not in focus. This might be solved by wearing bifocals or progressives, if your ordinarily wear glasses or plano lenses with a magnifier portion at the bottom of the lenses.
afmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #157
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmeyer View Post
Is it possible that because the screen is within your usual reading distance the text is not in focus. This might be solved by wearing bifocals or progressives, if your ordinarily wear glasses or plano lenses with a magnifier portion at the bottom of the lenses.

+1

At my age, I find that I need a pair of reading glasses on inside the helmet to be able to read the map in my tankbag map window, or the text on a GPS screen, Zumo or Montana (I have both). I wear the inexpensive WalMart ones with the spring-loaded side pieces and they are quite comfortable. They are like half-glasses, in other words the height of the lens is small. I wear them down my nose, so that looking straight ahead they are not in view, but when I glance down at maps/gps, I look through them. Sucks to get old.

Another option is one of those magnifying gizmos. I have not tried one myself. http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-big...am-mag-1u.html

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #158
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,383
I've been wearing bifocal safety glasses. I usually use clear ones with a tinted shield that way when I get into dark shaded areas, or it starts raining I can lift the shield and still have my eyes protected. They also help keep crap out of my eyes when riding in groups and dirt and dust get kicked up by bikes ahead of me. They're cheap as well.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #159
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Haven't seen this pointed out anywhere, but the Monterra's existence means that Garmin could easily sell the software only as an Android app -- and presumably it would be relatively trivial for them to port it to iOS as well.

I find this interesting primarily because the idea of running powerful, feature-rich GPS software on a hi-res screen appeals to me. Ultimately I'd love to be able to use an iPad mini or equivalent to display detailed, hi-res maps that can be zoomed out enough to show the bigger picture without losing detail (such as minor roads) the way all current GPS units do. As things stand now, I could use an iPad with one of the existing apps, but none of those include the extensive feature set of my Oregon, or of the Montana and Monterra.

True, this ignores the advantages of using the Monterra hardware, particularly its ruggedized chassis and higher-quality GPS receiver circuitry. But it would still be nice to have the option. The other obvious answer would be if Garmin made a unit with a hi-res display like the ones in current 5" Android devices.

But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for either one.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #160
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've been wearing bifocal safety glasses. I usually use clear ones with a tinted shield that way when I get into dark shaded areas, or it starts raining I can lift the shield and still have my eyes protected. They also help keep crap out of my eyes when riding in groups and dirt and dust get kicked up by bikes ahead of me. They're cheap as well.

Good point! I forgot that I had ordered some from these guys: http://safetyglasses.com/bifocal.html

I would wear them, but the top of the eye port on my helmet is low enough that it presses down on the glasses uncomfortably. I have been meaning to grind some of the lower part of the lenses off so they will fit, but haven't gotten around to it. Most people don't have the issue, so they are definitely worth a try.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #161
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Haven't seen this pointed out anywhere, but the Monterra's existence means that Garmin could easily sell the software only as an Android app -- and presumably it would be relatively trivial for them to port it to iOS as well.

I find this interesting primarily because the idea of running powerful, feature-rich GPS software on a hi-res screen appeals to me. Ultimately I'd love to be able to use an iPad mini or equivalent to display detailed, hi-res maps that can be zoomed out enough to show the bigger picture without losing detail (such as minor roads) the way all current GPS units do. As things stand now, I could use an iPad with one of the existing apps, but none of those include the extensive feature set of my Oregon, or of the Montana and Monterra.

True, this ignores the advantages of using the Monterra hardware, particularly its ruggedized chassis and higher-quality GPS receiver circuitry. But it would still be nice to have the option. The other obvious answer would be if Garmin made a unit with a hi-res display like the ones in current 5" Android devices.

But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for either one.

--mark
I just want the search functions to be fast and more like the Google maps app in iOS. I want it to be more flexible regarding spelling in that I shouldn't have to know exactly how the database stores info like township, county and state routes. 62 in Ohio should get me every instance of '62' in Ohio.

Oh, and PLEASE let me search along current route like my 2720 did!!!

Oh, oh, oh! Let me re-sort the searches for closest or alphabetic, too.

Has anybody heard if the Monterra will broadcast turn-by-turn via BT? It would be really nice if I could sync it up to my Sena without having to resort to a BT dongle.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #162
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
... 62 in Ohio should get me every instance of '62' in Ohio.

I wonder how many addresses there are in Ohio with the digits '62' in them...
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #163
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
I just want the search functions to be fast and more like the Google maps app in iOS. I want it to be more flexible regarding spelling in that I shouldn't have to know exactly how the database stores info like township, county and state routes. 62 in Ohio should get me every instance of '62' in Ohio.

Oh, and PLEASE let me search along current route like my 2720 did!!!

Oh, oh, oh! Let me re-sort the searches for closest or alphabetic, too.

Has anybody heard if the Monterra will broadcast turn-by-turn via BT? It would be really nice if I could sync it up to my Sena without having to resort to a BT dongle.

You must enjoy disappointment! I'd say set your expectation lower..... much lower...

I would guess the Monterra GPS "app" will be nearly identical to the floptana
and not portable... At least with these expectations you wouldn't be disappointed.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #164
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I wonder how many addresses there are in Ohio with the digits '62' in them...
I guess I should clarify that...

Numbered routes that may be listed as Twp, SR, county...

I meant the routes, not the actual address.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #165
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post

You must enjoy disappointment! I'd say set your expectation lower..... much lower...

I would guess the Monterra GPS "app" will be nearly identical to the floptana
and not portable... At least with these expectations you wouldn't be disappointed.
I'm still gonna think positive thoughts