ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #421
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Could you post a link to this device, I'd like to check it out?
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=335

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/meopad-aq...l#.UohYNmSY6Pk

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

http://www.amazon.com/Runbo-X5-Scree...621659-1907421

http://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-B1..._sim_sbs_cps_7

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...id=DHbjaoIyDLA

others on the way
https://www.meetearl.com/#features
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker

xymotic screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 09:46 PM
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #422
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
I looked over the spec's on all of these quite some time ago and I don't really see any one device that out does the H/W in the Monterra as a total package and let's not forget truly rugged. Most of them are about 3 or 4 year old tech platforms. I've actually had several of these in my hand outdoors in sunlight with not very pleasing results. And, as you pointed out, the AMPS Rugged Mount and the Garmin software are why most folks are here.

I think your point was well made regarding the value of the Garmin software vs. hardware but the Monterra isn't that shabby of a platform.

Oh, and thanks for pulling those links. If you find something really interesting please post it. I'm always looking for "better".

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #423
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
I looked over the spec's on all of these quite some time ago and I don't really see any one device that out does the H/W in the Monterra as a total package and let's not forget truly rugged. Most of them are about 3 or 4 year old tech platforms. I've actually had several of these in my hand outdoors in sunlight with not very pleasing results. And, as you pointed out, the AMPS Rugged Mount and the Garmin software are why most folks are here.

I think your point was well made regarding the value of the Garmin software vs. hardware but the Monterra isn't that shabby of a platform.

Oh, and thanks for pulling those links. If you find something really interesting please post it. I'm always looking for "better".

I think that first one is particularly interesting. http://www.mobiletoutterrain.com/EN/..._product=10051

And I mean... lots cheaper
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #424
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
I've been following this thread for a while.....the big question I haven't seen answered (and I know it can't be until the unit ships) is if the Monterra has A2DP support. That's going to be the deal breaker for me. If I'm spending this much money on a waterproof GPS unit, it better be able to talk to my Sena.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #425
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I've been following this thread for a while.....the big question I haven't seen answered (and I know it can't be until the unit ships) is if the Monterra has A2DP support. That's going to be the deal breaker for me. If I'm spending this much money on a waterproof GPS unit, it better be able to talk to my Sena.
As you said, safest to know for sure before spending that kind of money, but I would take an educated guess, that because it's based on Android, it uses the Android Bluetooth stack, and since Android has had A2DP, and AVRCP protocol support in its Bluetooth stack for a while, the Monterra should have that capability. You didn't specify, but it comes to mind that you could be talking about 2 different things - audio for directions from the mapping software, or audio from music played from the device. You could get directions from the mapping software without A2DP support if both devices could use an alternate protocol (maybe HSP?). If you're talking about music, A2DP is "where it's at". Perhaps one of our secret reviewers here could answer for sure when it's allowed to be spoken about.

For anyone wanting to know more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #426
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Pretty simple answer....I want both. I want to use the unit as a MP3 player and be able to hear the directions seamlessly. I can do that now with my phone, but it's not weatherproof, so I can't see the map as well. I want this thing to be my all in one device for the bike. Yes, Android has all of that functionality built into it, but that doesn't guarantee Garmin will implement and use it. I can get all that in a Zumo if I have to go that route, but I'd like the extra functionality the Monterra potentially provides for other outdoor purposes if it provides the functions I want for use on the motorcycle.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #427
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I think that first one is particularly interesting. http://www.mobiletoutterrain.com/EN/..._product=10051

And I mean... lots cheaper
Surprised I didn't see this one on your list, and arguably, it has probably the most advanced hardware.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Ca...-Review_id3356

Too bad it's only on Verizon. And to be fair, no Garmin software, and no transflective screen.

I didn't see any that actually had US TV. By TV, I mean real, broadcast, over-the-air TV reception, requiring the device to have an ATSC tuner. I've been waiting for something like that for a long time. Units sold in other countries might have a digital tuner (and many do), but chances are it is not ATSC and won't work in the US (sometimes from the specs available it's difficult to tell).

Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #428
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Pretty simple answer....I want both. I want to use the unit as a MP3 player and be able to hear the directions seamlessly. I can do that now with my phone, but it's not weatherproof, so I can't see the map as well. I want this thing to be my all in one device for the bike. Yes, Android has all of that functionality built into it, but that doesn't guarantee Garmin will implement and use it. I can get all that in a Zumo if I have to go that route, but I'd like the extra functionality the Monterra potentially provides for other outdoor purposes if it provides the functions I want for use on the motorcycle.
That's pretty close to the same reasons why I'm keeping an eye on it. Except my current phone is waterproof (resistant), and I use it to view maps when riding (even though it's water proof, I still put it into a case on the handlebar, no sense in taking chances with an expensive phone). The Monterra would have advantages over my phone for that, and it's hard to beat Garmin's mapping software.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #429
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Maybe tomorrow, Nov 19 at least GPSCity's thinks so per their website.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 09:38 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #430
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Going back to the button topic....

I think that if the Zumo 550 had a more powerful processor (able to handle an 8G card) and software that worked exactly how it was supposed to (CN disconnects itself totally when unticked) then this unit was almost perfect.
Sure there are a couple of things that I cant put with anymore and that why Im reading this thread.
The Zumo 660 addressed my 2 biggest annoyances, that being able to turn off the auto zoom and allowing more points per track/route but the actual ease of use went backwards for me.
The buttons on the 550 are PERFECT. 90% of my riding is true offroad where CN has no roads and its usually rough so using the GPS in these conditions are way better where the hand can be steadied against the unit and accurately press the appropriate button.
I think we need 4 buttons
1: +
2: -
3: Scroll user defined screens
4: Volume access

Changing the volume of a song on the 660 is pathetic!

So im hoping that someone with influence is listening and that somehow we get buttons. Im happy to pay extra. It would seem to me that the buttons could easily be incorporated into the mount.

I know that a few of you are probably thinking... this guy does tracks and he likes the 550... WTF
I do have an Oregon and I know how a real GPS should deal with tracks but we all know that we need more when travelling long distance incorporating bush, deserts and cities. Apart from the issues listed above the 550 has been a great companion. The reason I mentioned this was to bring attention to the fact that we all get confused about what we THINK we need and what we REALLY need.
We are all going to carry smart phones forever, how smart do we really need our GPS's.

Give me a 550 with new gen processor to handle large amounts of data on SD card, no auto zoom, the ability to change maps with different user profiles that are easily accessed and the ability to handle tracks/routes with 10000 points and I be happy
I dont need too much fancy shit, its already on my phone and its always with me.

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #431
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
I'd opt for an updated 478.....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #432
CordovaRider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I'd opt for an updated 478.....
This.
CordovaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #433
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Monterra Review

Here is the link to my Monterra Review or via the links in my SIG. Your feedback is welcome...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #434
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
Quote:
Here is the link to my Monterra Review or via the links in my SIG. Your feedback is welcome...
Part way through your excellent review. I guess my first question to Garmin is why? I mean, it just seems like with so many excellent navigation apps available now, why would they want to compete with others? I know that if I went with a Monterra, I wouldn't bother with CN. I'd just install CoPilot, my personal favorite Android navigation app, and call it a day. Maybe, they (Garmin) see the light and figure the hardware side is the future?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #435
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Part way through your excellent review. I guess my first question to Garmin is why? I mean, it just seems like with so many excellent navigation apps available now, why would they want to compete with others? I know that if I went with a Monterra, I wouldn't bother with CN. I'd just install CoPilot, my personal favorite Android navigation app, and call it a day. Maybe, they (Garmin) see the light and figure the hardware side is the future?
Garmin has always been about the H/W AND the S/W. I've used CoPilot and OSMAnd+. I still prefer Garmin's navigation app -- even when it irritates me. If it fails me, I always have an onboard backup with the Monterra.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 05:21 PM