ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #46
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Is there a late-model Garmin unit that can handle more than 50 via points in an Along-road Route? I was told several years ago that this was a "built-in" limitation of the Navigation Engine code that all newer units would be using.
The 66X do 200. And if that is really the case I guess I'll just stick with my old ZUMO 550 that will do 250.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #47
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I was very lucky and upgraded to the "Death Valley" from Garmin.

It's lite years ahead of the Montana and Monterra----but sadly no one else will ever get one----since it's perfect right out of the box.
It seems after some lengthy market research Garmin decided to not put this on the market as they found out people love spending half their lives yakking about their gps and re-booting---------resetting------------upgrading operating systems------sending units back for repairs--and or replacing them------downloading---uploading----spending hours in front of their computer instead of riding..

There will be no "Death Valley" thread with thousands and thousands of posts. It's perfect.

BigDog

I was up in WI riding with a guy that has one of those Death Valley models. Pretty funny watching him go nuts because the old tech RX in that unit couldn't connect to Sats when we were in heavy woods.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #48
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:

It's lite years ahead of the Montana and Monterra----but sadly no one else will ever get one----since it's perfect right out of the box.
It seems after some lengthy market research Garmin decided to not put this on the market as they found out people love spending half their lives yakking about their gps and re-booting---------resetting------------upgrading operating systems------sending units back for repairs--and or replacing them------downloading---uploading----spending hours in front of their computer instead of riding..

There will be no "Death Valley" thread with thousands and thousands of posts. It's perfect.

BigDog

Wow! That was quite a dream you had.

Guess you weren't around (?) to live through the GPSMAP 176 and 276c [prototypes] like some of us did. There was and is no perfection - but keep dreaming.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #49
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,788
Was just thinking... With WiFi, the Monterra should be capable of running Skype. Though not a perfect solution, it gives the option of being able to pull over at a Hot Spot and make a call in a pinch.

But now that I think about it, why not an app that allows local area voice chatting over BT (or maybe WiFi Direct)? This would esentially make the Monterra a short-range walkie talkie / intercom system. A really cool app would be a peer-to-peer tracking app that would allow all Monterras in a group to be visible on each other's screens, similar to Ham Radio's APRS (w/o the licensing requirements) or Google Latitude (but without the need for an internet connection). Garmin already has the expertise to do something like this based off the Fleet Management features of thier commercial products, though I'd see it being done via 3rd party before Garmin would come out with anything.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #50
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
. . . A really cool app would be a peer-to-peer tracking app that would allow all Monterras in a group to be visible on each other's screens, similar to Ham Radio's APRS (w/o the licensing requirements) or Google Latitude (but without the need for an internet connection). Garmin already has the expertise to do something like this based off the Fleet Management features of thier commercial products, though I'd see it being done via 3rd party before Garmin would come out with anything.
Garmin has been doing peer-to-peer for years with the Rino series FRS/GMRS GPS units. And now you can use BaseCamp's BaseStation feature to show your field group on BaseCamp computer. It would require a radio much stronger than WiFi to enable this type of feature on the Monterra - like GMRS.

As I mentioned earlier, having Sat Radio integrated would enable many additional features related to peer-to-peer.

Other uses for the Monterra could be:
  • GoPro Remote App - so you can view/operate your GoPro3 camera.
  • GS911 Android App for diagnosing issues with your BMW.

Just to name a few...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #51
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,874
Quote:

BigDog

Big Dog, You probably came in here for the same reason I did, to see if Garmin's new fangeld box had the functionality of the Death Valley. Well no surprise, they are still way off the mark. Guess we just have to be patient and wait for the Death Valley S.O.S. (same old shit) Would be the best thing Garmin has done in years!
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #52
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I just hope they don't do the same idiotic thing they did with the Montana and limit the routes to a worthless 50 points.
The Count of Monte Rrauto
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #53
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogadventures.com View Post
it seems after some lengthy market research garmin decided to not put this on the market as they found out people love spending half their lives yakking about their gps and re-booting---------resetting------------upgrading operating systems------sending units back for repairs--and or replacing them------downloading---uploading----spending hours in front of their computer instead of riding..
+1
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #54
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Big Dog, You probably came in here for the same reason I did, to see if Garmin's new fangeld box had the functionality of the Death Valley. Well no surprise, they are still way off the mark.
And exactly what "mark" would that be? A 10 year old GPS with limited data handling, the inability to use the latest map sets, a GPS receiver that can't hold a satellite lock if it's a cloudy day, an external power connector that falls apart if you try to unplug it more than twice, a display so dim you have to use a flashlight to see it in the daylight and a battery that might last long enough to boot up the unit? That "mark"?

You're right of course - nothing for you here.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #55
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
And exactly what "mark" would that be? A 10 year old GPS with limited data handling, the inability to use the latest map sets, a GPS receiver that can't hold a satellite lock if it's a cloudy day, an external power connector that falls apart if you try to unplug it more than twice, a display so dim you have to use a flashlight to see it in the daylight and a battery that might last long enough to boot up the unit? That "mark"?

You're right of course - nothing for you here.

+1

If they're not interested, then why are they chiming in at all?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #56
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 536
As this is android based you could, most likely connect a bluethooth keyboard , and when stoped at a Wi-fi hotspot " connecto to the internet and blog , or upload your RR with photos and all , without carring along a notebook computer or orther equipment
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #57
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,432
You know, if this thing works as advertised, it will probably mean the death of the Zumo line.......then again, it could go the way of the Garmin Phone.....
Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #58
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
You know, if this thing works as advertised, it will probably mean the death of the Zumo line.......then again, it could go the way of the Garmin Phone.....
I can't help but think that Garmin will impose limitations to ensure this doesn't happen.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #59
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
As this is android based you could, most likely connect a bluethooth keyboard , and when stoped at a Wi-fi hotspot " connecto to the internet and blog , or upload your RR with photos and all , without carring along a notebook computer or orther equipment
Yes, lots of options - all depending upon how Garmin implements the OS and the comm protocols relative to accessing data and unit functions.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #60
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I can't help but think that Garmin will impose limitations to ensure this doesn't happen.
I dont' think Garmin is worried about losing zumo business. If the zumo350LM is any indication, Garmin sees that market as the big-bike touring folks.

The Montana was the first Garmin device to be overtly marketed cross segment. It would appear that it is doing well.

The Monterra looks to be targeted to the Professions with obvious crossover to private users - I think, mostly the more tech oriented users. Many of us do a little off-road riding and a lot of Adventure bike (big bike) riding in all types of road/no-road conditions.

My expectation for this unit is that it will not have the zumo/nuvi level of Routing features - more along the lines of the current Montana Routing.

I'd keep your expectation low and hope to be surprised when a feature is there that you were looking for.

Personally, if the Monterra has the same feature set as the Montana PLUS the additional benefits of an open application platform, I see it as the next "best-adventure-riding" GPS.

Dan
All Things GPS