Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #31
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinderman View Post
Nope. I have been down plenty on the dirt and pavement... Bike takes the hits amazingly well. The carbon cards that are readily available are crap. The plastic gaurds are much, much better as far as actual functional protection. I prefer not to have the weight and much prefer the lines and look of the bike without the gaurds.
+1

The bikes slides better through the bush without the guards catching everything
Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #32
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,056
I used to run a set.
They probably saved some other parts when a Kawa ZZR1400 ran into the left one, totalling itself. All I needed was a helicoil for the upper front mount.
the crashbar on the same left side dented the frame at the rear mounting point and ripped off the front lower mounting bar at the weld in a low speed crash in hard packed sand.
Replaced with 990 plastics since then.

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #33
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,339
so...we're concerned about looks over function now

To each their own. It would certainly make life easier doing maintenance without em on, no doubt about it.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #34
ardimarcco
Banned

Oddometer: 3
I would never ride without them! Saved my wallet more than a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbelgium View Post
just to get your short comments:

do you ride with crash bars? do we need crashbars? on our ktm9x0
ardimarcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #35
jerbelgium OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
first of all thanks for your detailed feedback. Secondly, I can really sense a difference in reasons why to ride with or without.........

it all comes down to;

- easy maintenance or not
- riding style
- willingness to cope with the scratches and thus cosmetic damages
- does it really protects during high speed on/offroad craches?? I am not convinced.
- how does the bike looks? some dont care, others say it looks better without (i think so too)
- weight? is weight really an issue? for some it does, for others it is in relation to the protection..........
- and so on

I decided to sell my MW Motechs because:

- the slimmer look
- the weight (go light go fast - therefore I have the GL too)
- ease of maintenance

once again thanks for your feedback, appreciate it!
jerbelgium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 673
If a guy could pick the spot where he was going to crash, I could see running without them. I'm sure there are tip-overs and slides where the bars aren't needed.
But-

Here the crashbars not only stopped the bike from sliding over the edge, but they kept the fuel tank safe, and didn't even bend!
That would have been a looooooooooong walk out.
The bars stay on.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #37
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
If a guy could pick the spot where he was going to crash, I could see running without them. I'm sure there are tip-overs and slides where the bars aren't needed.
Maybe I'm wimping out, but I can pick where I'm NOT going to crash. I already know that I have no business riding a 990 Adventure on that trail. It looks like it would be fun on my XR650L though.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #38
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Use them

Never leave home without them. Re-painting the bars is a lot cheaper than replacing a tank. Plus it gives you a good place to lift from when your bike is stuck in the mud.
Cycleman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #39
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
- does it really protects during high speed on/offroad craches? YES OH hell YES

I had a hi-speed get off 60+ mph and I will tell you they saved my bike. crash bars and gobi bags saved it, was still a lot to of cash but with out them the bike would be totaled out. B
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #40
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN roads View Post
I have a new set of HB bars still in the box and have been debating if I want to install or sell them. I am glad to see that I am not the only one that is pondering the issue. I think they are heavy and ugly but at the same time plastic is expensive. I have had a couple good get offs and so far only had to replace the bottom plastic guard on the tank which was cheap but I have been lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
My 950 Adv came with them installed and they've obviously taken some abuse. Personally I mostly slab it so I probably don't "Need" them. However they make a great resting spot for my legs if I need to stretch out a bit on longer rides, allow me to mount up a set of small bags I got from a member here that conveniently carry my wet weather gear and jacket liner w/o the need to have bulky panniers, and they allow me to give my bike some much needed orange.

Those came out well. I'll have to list them as a standard product.

Something to consider when choosing a crash bar...the accessory bag size, Hepco and Becker has the largest bar opening and thus the largest bag size.

These are the bag sizes compared to each other.

H&B 5.7 liters

SW Motech 5.3 liters

OEM 3.9 liters
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #41
pascal toureasy
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Look like a good fulcrum for a femur or tibia break in my opinion.....Sans crash bars for Pascal...
Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #42
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Those came out well. I'll have to list them as a standard product.

Something to consider when choosing a crash bar...the accessory bag size, Hepco and Becker has the largest bar opening and thus the largest bag size.

These are the bag sizes compared to each other.

H&B 5.7 liters

SW Motech 5.3 liters

OEM 3.9 liters

Yeah, I'm definitely happy with them. Thanks again.

As for all this debating back and forth I can agree with different points of view and see the validity of the arguments. Except the weight thing. Both my bars and the cross-over bar together can't weigh more than 8lbs. If you're that concerned about a couple of pounds down low on the bike wear lighter boots or skip the double cheeseburger. With a bike as big and heavy as this (for a dirt bike anyways, still pathetically light compared to a cruiser) you're really not making any change with those bars.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #43
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,128
Always have them on. Now that I've converted to studs instead of bolts on the front mounts, the bars even stay on during maintenance.

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #44
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 943
Would I use crashbars again? Hell. Farking. No.

I'm sure this will start an argument, but I've personally seen more damage done by crashbars than prevented by them.

The 9*0's, from an engineering perspective, have awful crash bar mount points. The front two bolts go into the same non-structural aluminum plate, at almost the same location! The long arm that extends upward under the radiator has no inwards bracing, and hence the bending moment from a sideways impact just twists the bars around, crumpling them back into the front fairing, or worse, the tank they're supposed to protect. I've seen this crumpling behavior trash a bundle of fairings that would have otherwise been fine (mine included) , and hole tanks on two occasions. Usually down near the lower tank bolt, when the flange mount there deforms inwards and takes the bolt with it. Unless you have a brace across the front of the radiator - in which case it bends too, crushing into the radiator. Load-wise, they're just not a well-braced design.

On top of that, as the rear mount on most 9*0 crash-bar designs is a jaw-clamp on the frame, a hit from the front will cause the bars to bend and rotate backwards and down, as the rear clamp slides down the frame. You'll see the mild version of this on a lot of bikes after most crashes, where the bars contact and rub on the lower front of the fairing. A bigger hit, however, can wrench the bars around far enough to crush the fairing, possibly damage the radiator, and even deform the hinge bolt and clamp teeth enough to release the jaws, and send the aft section of the bar back into your engine case. I've also seen this happen. It's surprising how mild the impact was - the impact angle was just right.

The nylon standard tanks are incredibly tough in terms of impact strength. It's abrasion and puncture resistance where they're lacking, and the carbon-kevlar (i.e. NOT the KTM OEM carbon guards) IMHO fill this gap better than crash bars. They're lighter, slimmer, they don't catch on things and twist or bend in, they don't have big gaps to let rocks sneak past, and they're cheaper.

For what it's worth, I've lost count of the slides my CF guards have had. Rock, sand, gravel, tarmac, roos. But earlier this year, I was hit head on by a firetruck, in the front-right quarter. Closing speed around 70kph/40mph. My right carbon guard shows the scars from the truck bumper, the left has the gravelrash from the subsequent highside and slide down the road. The tanks were undamaged, as was the rest of the bike, save for the right Cycra bark-buster (and me...). The tanks took basically the entire hit. THAT's how tough they are.

I know a lot of people will jump in and say "Well, I highsided MY bike,and MY crashbars did just fine" and I won't dispute that. They can work quite well in the right circumstances: on tarmac. They shelter the upper fairings well and slide great on smooth-surfaces. But what I'm saying is that the 950 was never actually designed to fit bars, and as such, they can cause more harm than good.

Although the CF guards do not include competency, they do mitigate very well against the results of a lack thereof.

Jdeks screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 01:16 AM
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #45
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,237
All great points... pros and cons!

I like em...

Because of sharp pointy rocks, on some trails I ride.

I don't find them as visually offensive as others.

But if I raced it, of course I wouldn't use them or care...

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 03:08 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote