Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
What chaps my ass is the bullshit in your post. At most E-15 will ding you 5%, if you're getting 20 mpg on pure gas, you'll get 19 mpg on E-15. Hardly a back breaking reduction.

But you're not running pure gas now, are you? So the difference between E-10 and E-15 will be .33 mpg if you're still talking about that 20 mpg average.

I'm begining to think that you must be in the corn industry, as a lobbyist, farmer, etc. Why do you deny any and all evidence of negative effects of this product in vehicle fuel? Surely sir, you cannot deny there have been problems with this additive?
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Quote:
It's not bullshit, it's math.
Your math and your science are flawed. E10 and E85 are more harmful to the planet that burning ethanol free gas.

You keep spouting your bullshit why? You are not going to change anyone's mind with your corn lobby backed studies that twist the truth with carefully worded nonsense.

It isn't cheaper. It isn't better. It is subsidized through legislation and without governmental help it would FAIL! It is bad for the environment. It is bad for a lot of engines from cars to motorcycles to lawn equipment to boat motors. It is the biggest fraud pulled on the American public in history.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #18
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I'm begining to think that you must be in the corn industry, as a lobbyist, farmer, etc. Why do you deny any and all evidence of negative effects of this product in vehicle fuel? Surely sir, you cannot deny there have been problems with this additive?
I just put the facts out there in these threads. Speaking from personal experience, ethanol hasn't caused me any problems as a motor fuel additive and I run through $100k in gasoline usage per year along with even more diesel.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #19
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Your math and your science are flawed. E10 and E85 are more harmful to the planet that burning ethanol free gas.

You keep spouting your bullshit why? You are not going to change anyone's mind with your corn lobby backed studies that twist the truth with carefully worded nonsense.

It isn't cheaper. It isn't better. It is subsidized through legislation and without governmental help it would FAIL! It is bad for the environment. It is bad for a lot of engines from cars to motorcycles to lawn equipment to boat motors. It is the biggest fraud pulled on the American public in history.
Right back at ya, buddy.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #20
rhino1987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
How may dispensing less than 4 gallons violate federal law?
rhino1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #21
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
I get about 10% better MPG with E0 than E10.
I am closer to 15% better on my bike. It also runs a lot less sluggish with E0 than with E10. Thankfully in my neck of the woods there is a chain of stations (independent), that only sells E0.

revrandy screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 04:45 PM
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #22
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,134
I think this wikipedia article is reasonably accurate. At least it coincides with my experience. E15 and E85 fuels are from lobby groups representing farmers and not intended for motorcycles and several other types of vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol..._United_States
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #23
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,383
Quote:
It's not bullshit, it's math.

Its bullshit, ethanol has less energy density than gasoline.

Its higher "octane" which only matters if you tune for it (or have a vehicle that does it automatically) and when you do guess what you use more ethanol fuel to go the same distance.

My truck is flex-fuel, and the two tanks of E-86 I put in it I averaged 11 MPG, so that is a 27 gallon tank going less than 250 miles between fills.

Its bullshit you aren't making more power with ethanol outside of specialized applications.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #24
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
I just don't see how ethanol being in the fuel should be such a problem. I realize that ethanol isn't good for some components in an engine, but you would think that by this point manufacturers would have had time to make necessary adjustments? Also, let's imagine we were going to run out of crude in 10 years (just an example), don't you think it would be nice to have an alternative in place? Whether it is CNG, LPG, Ethanol or whatever else they can think of? You might as well get a head start (even if there is supposedly 100+ years before a need to worry). Granted other forms don't pack as much energy as gas. So wouldn't you want to keep it around as long as possible? Even if it means diluting it with another fuel type? Nothing is perfect, and I think people might as well agree to disagree on this issue. Seems most are either for or against this with nobody on the fence. I know that it seems the car industry (especially tuning/performance shops) has taken to E85 since they can get a bit more power from it than regular premium gas. I haven't really decided one way or another but when I get my bike, I'm not going to be afraid of running E85 if I have to, it's going to happen sooner or later .
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #25
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,947
Came in here to say two things: FUCK ETHANOL IN FUEL. FUCK GOVT SUBSIDIES FOR CORN FARMERS. FUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #26
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
Um, you just agreed with me. Why do you say its bullshit. You just did the math and showed that you will get less mpg.
You stated that it would "drastically" lower your mpg. It doesn't.

I once had a BMW dealer blame ethanol for the stalling issue I was having on my 08 GSA. I went out of my way to run several tanks of E-0 through it even though I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem. Of course it didn't solve the stalling issue because that was caused by one of his mechanics who fucked with the screw you never fuck with when doing a throttle body sync.

The gas mileage wasn't measurably better on the bike when running E-0 either. A few years ago on the way to the MotoGP race at Indy we filled our Surburban up with E-0 in Tulsa and actually got worse mileage than with E-10.

It's really tiresome hearing you guys bitch about a sucessful, home grown industry and by doing so you implicitly support multinational oil companies. Fortunately you are a very, very small minority.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #27
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Came in here to say two things: FUCK ETHANOL IN FUEL. FUCK GOVT SUBSIDIES FOR CORN FARMERS. FUUUUUUUUUUCK!
But let's go to war for big oil.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #28
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
The gas mileage wasn't measurably better on the bike when running E-0 either. A few years ago on the way to the MotoGP race at Indy we filled our Surburban up with E-0 in Tulsa and actually got worse mileage than with E-10.
I'm sure you did.

Quote:
It's really tiresome hearing you guys bitch about a sucessful, home grown industry
If it's such a great industry why can't it survive on the free market?
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #29
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
I'm sure you did.

If it's such a great industry why can't it survive on the free market?
Find me a free motor fuel market.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #30
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Find me a free motor fuel market.
Great argument for why ethanol can't make it in the free market...
Welcome to Regan's America!
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote