Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #91
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
I've never had a problem with E10 in my EFI vehicles. That's not the case in my carburetor equipped vehicles. I also get significantly better milage when on Pemex gas compared to US gas.

The real problem I have with ethanol as a fuel additive is this:

The US and the world currently have a plentiful supply of crude oil reserves.

The world also has a significant number of starving and underfed people.

Our government mandates we use food crops to produce fuel thereby reducing the available food supply and driving up the price of the worlds remaining food supply.

What's wrong with this picture?

I'm no bleeding heart liberal, far from it. Rather it's my conservative bent that blames the government mandates for the high corn and food prices (and crappy fuel).

PS, I'm not naive enough to think that getting rid of the ethanol mandate would solve the world's food crisis. But it certainly wouldn't make it worse.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #92
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Your post is the perfect example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.
Translation: He has no valid rebuttal with which to argue his point so instead, he resorts to petty attempts at name calling.

(Little does he know that he came to this gun fight armed with a stick.)
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #93
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Corn prices are high right now due to extreme weather events the past couple of years. Before this growing season turned to shit, economists were predicting burdensome supplies with the fall harvest and dramatically lower prices.
So provide proof of your argument. I gave you a non-partisan congressional budget office report that debases your theory. You give me "Well so and so said...". Come on...step up to the plate or head back to the locker room and shower off son.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #94
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Oh I guarantee you I have far more factual knowledge on the subject than you do.
37,000 acres between corn, beans, wheat, sunflower and cattle across 3 states.
125+ years of family farming.
Direct relationships with 3 companies that have built a total of 7 ethanol plants in Iowa and South Dakota.
And the fact that I work for the USDA.

But hey...you keep spewing your opinion as some delusional fantasy world "facts" and I will rebutt them with real world facts.
I do enjoy a good bitch slapping!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #95
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,844
Quote:
So provide proof of your argument. I gave you a non-partisan congressional budget office report that debases your theory. You give me "Well so and so said...". Come on...step up to the plate or head back to the locker room and shower off son.
I'm just a poor old cotton farmer. Your vast experience and wealth of knowledge have me buffaloed.

I'm also in the field using an iPhone so I will pursue this later. One question though. Why would someone with your Ag ties put out such misleading information? Is your family in the cattle feeding business? Those fuckers love cheap grain.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #96
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,131
Old 06-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #97
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
I'm just a poor old cotton farmer. Your vast experience and wealth of knowledge have me buffaloed.

I'm also in the field using an iPhone so I will pursue this later. One question though. Why would someone with your Ag ties put out such misleading information? Is your family in the cattle feeding business? Those fuckers love cheap grain.

Actually, the last 10 years, the biggest profit margins have come from corn sold for ethanol use.
Feed corn prices have suffered accordingly. And show me a person in any business who doesn't want to maximize their profit potential.
But again, I challenge you to refute anything in the CBO report.
I also would like to point out that I have made no mention of bio-diesel because I do think bio-diesel is a very good thing.
Also make note that I am only referring to *CORN* based ethanol.
Switchgrass is a far more effective crop to use for ethanol. And with products engineered to effectively and efficiently use ethanol as a fuel, it can be a great thing. But mixing it with petrol based fuels and then putting it in vehicles that were never engineered to use it as a fuel is just plain bad.
My brother runs a drag car that is strictly E85 or E100 fueled. But it is also jetted close to what you would jet for methanol use...another fuel I really wouldn't recommend you pump into the tank of your average sedan.

I am not anti-ethanol by any means but it isn't the god-send that a lot of people try to make it out to be.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #98
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
The US and the world currently have a plentiful supply of crude oil reserves.

The world also has a significant number of starving and underfed people.

Our government mandates we use food crops to produce fuel thereby reducing the available food supply and driving up the price of the worlds remaining food supply.
This is one of my major issues with the mandate to include ethanol in fuel, another problem is that there is a mandate for it at all. Without the mandate the market for ethanol significantly shrinks; who in their right mind would want to pay the same price for fuel that you get worse fuel economy from? Give people a choice and see what the market decides. If ethanol production is efficient enough without government tampering (i.e. tax breaks or subsidies) to market at a price low enough to justify the loss of economy then they will succeed, if not they will fail.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #99
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
The Florida governor just signed a bill to end the ethanol requirement in our gas.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #100
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Hey!
Stevie doesn't need any help looking stupid, he was doing just fine on his own before you came along.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #101
VonHelm
soggy doggy

Oddometer: 3,978
I can't believe, after 5 years, I took that lug nut off of ignore just to read this thread.

Somethings never change.
Spread your arms and hold you breath
And always trust your cape (Guy Clark)
VonHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #102
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
The Florida governor just signed a bill to end the ethanol requirement in our gas.
Wow, Rick Scott is not only a criminal. He's a stupid fucking criminal.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #103
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post

Maybe this will start a trend, and other states will follow. One can only hope.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #104
Turbo
used to be XC700116

Oddometer: 4,687
Quote:
The links in it have more validity than the other bull shit posted here. Anyone who claims that ethanol has a negative energy equation is talking out of their ass.
ahh from the guy that posts a total of 1 or 2 links all done by Ethanol organizations trying to discredit a single post with about 25 links and most done by independent sources siting EXACTLY what you call "talking out of their ass".

it's Physics and the Law of Thermodynamics. It's proven, and you're dreaming and sucking the shit out of someone who IS talking out of their ass and drinking it like Kool-Aid and regurgitating it here as if it's fact.

Good work
Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #105
Turbo
used to be XC700116

Oddometer: 4,687
Quote:
See? Just more BS! There are no subsidies going to ethanol. It is economically competitive with oil.
ahh, no it's not, because it's MANDATED to be blended into the fuel. If not for that mandate, and left completely to the consumer, it would flat out fail. ie, NOT economically competitive.

Turbo screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 08:33 PM
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote