ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #391
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
we could ice a 2nd team to give everyone else a run.
Perhaps they could put together a convincing win over, say, Latvia.




Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #392
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Perhaps they could put together a convincing win over, say, Latvia.




You know better than that... You've watched lots of hockey, but you must have obviously missed that game. I've seen 9-1 games look closer than the Can/Lat was.

Only Kane and perhaps Suter could crack into the Canadian team. I'd even go as far as to say that all countries making an all star team and Canada would give them run.
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #393
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
You know better than that... You've watched lots of hockey, but you must have obviously missed that game. I've seen 9-1 games look closer than the Can/Lat was.

Only Kane and perhaps Suter could crack into the Canadian team. I'd even go as far as to say that all countries making an all star team and Canada would give them run.


Russia was the other powerhouse and they're gone throwing together the most talent does not make the best hockey TEAM. In 2010 Canada barely eeked out a win over the US.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #394
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,703
I love the collective narcissism of our hat when it comes to hockey.

I only saw the tail end of the Latvia game, but the Canadian team looked like what it is: an all-star team. Their scoring struggles aren't entirely due to hot goaltending - they're playing an altogether too cute brand of hockey.

Canada has - without question - the largest quantity of high-caliber players available to build a team. But did they build the right team?

We'll see, in half an hour.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #395
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I love the collective narcissism of our hat when it comes to hockey.

I only saw the tail end of the Latvia game, but the Canadian team looked like what it is: an all-star team. Their scoring struggles aren't entirely due to hot goaltending - they're playing an altogether too cute brand of hockey.

Canada has - without question - the largest quantity of high-caliber players available to build a team. But did they build the right team?

We'll see, in half an hour.

Did you watch...
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #396
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,703
Yeah, that was some terribly boring hockey.

US failed on their powerplay chances, that was their chance to swing momentum.

Canada still can't score, and will lose to Sweden.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #397
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer
 
Thraan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bayview Village
Oddometer: 27,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

Canada still can't score, and will lose to Sweden.


Team Canada scored one more than Team USA, eh! Good luck to all y'all in the bronze medal game.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Thraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #398
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Yeah, that was some terribly boring hockey.

US failed on their powerplay chances, that was their chance to swing momentum.

Canada still can't score, and will lose to Sweden.

Good thing for the US and rest of the world that we can't score right now. Would have been a 7-0 today if we could.

It'll be the same against Sweden on sunday. They'll be held to very few chances, we'll get enough goals to win, but if the giant awakes, it'll be a short night for Lundquist.
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #399
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan View Post
Team Canada scored one more than Team USA, eh! Good luck to all y'all in the bronze medal game.
With the exception of Quick, I am embarrassed. That was just terrible hockey and not because Canada was good, but because the USA was uninspired. If they play that way again they will not get the bronze either.

I agree, Sweden will get a gold medal this year. Not because I begrudge Canada winning...some of my favorite players are on that team, but because having watched all the games televised....Sweden is hot and playing well.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #400
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
With the exception of Quick, I am embarrassed. That was just terrible hockey and not because Canada was good, but because the USA was uninspired. If they play that way again they will not get the bronze either.

I agree, Sweden will get a gold medal this year. Not because I begrudge Canada winning...some of my favorite players are on that team, but because having watched all the games televised....Sweden is hot and playing well.

I'm sure they were inspired, but Canada's defence is probably the quickest they've ever assembled. They bottled things up well, very few rebounds, and they moved the puck fast. And although Canada's forwards aren't scoring, their talent level is allowing them to spend a lot of time inside the other teams blueline. Price today was like his gear was made of velcro.

They'll give the Fins a good game....

Sweden won't get many chances, but the boys need to light the lamp a few times. Crosby will likely be the golden goal boy again.
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #401
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,703
With Paul Martin injured and not in the lineup, pairings and special teams mixed up, the US D were pretty lackluster. Difficulty breaking out of the zone, getting thru the neutral zone, etc.

Sweden will be much more crisp, not that that's saying much.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #402
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer
 
gsstampeder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Displaced Calgarian
Oddometer: 1,044
It sure wasn't a boring game to me....and 34 million other Canadians. I suppose if I were cheering for the Americans I wouldn't really have had too much to cheer about. But I was cheering for Canada and had a fucking blast watching that game.
__________________
5 weeks in Baja
gsstampeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #403
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post


Russia was the other powerhouse and they're gone throwing together the most talent does not make the best hockey TEAM. In 2010 Canada barely eeked out a win over the US.
The Russians are not a powerhouse to us. They had players that couldn't make a Canadian AHL team. The Canadians don't just throw together talents, although they could and still win.

Sure it comes down to one shot one goal

Sweden Canada on sunday morning........''''''..
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #404
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
The Russians are not a powerhouse to us. They had players that couldn't make a Canadian AHL team. The Canadians don't just throw together talents, although they could and still win.

Sure it comes down to one shot one goal

Sweden Canada on sunday morning........''''''..
Then why with basically an NHL all star team did they only beat Latvia and the US by 1 goal?
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #405
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
The Russians are not a powerhouse to us. They had players that couldn't make a Canadian AHL team. The Canadians don't just throw together talents, although they could and still win.

Yeah, with 3 Calder Cups in the last twenty years, that Canadian AHL program is flying high.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014