ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #76
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer
 
Thraan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bayview Village
Oddometer: 29,708
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Thraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #77
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller
 
bigsnowdog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
I like hockey, but think the fights are stupid. They're mostly done for show today, to get the crowds amped it it seems. I'd much rather see fast end to end play with few interruptions because of cheap shots that force the ref to call something.
A certain segment of the hockey followers are like the stock car racing fans who go because of the wrecks.
__________________
2002 GS1150 ADV
Hepco Becker bags
Piaa 959 & 910

NRA life


"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #78
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer
 
Thraan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bayview Village
Oddometer: 29,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
Why doesn't fighting like this occur in basketball or football?
They are different sports with different rules that developed in their own unique way. You might as well ask why the puck is not round like a ball?
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Thraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #79
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller
 
bigsnowdog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan View Post
They are different sports with different rules that developed in their own unique way. You might as well ask why the puck is not round like a ball?
Why is a football not round?

You got really close to a pun....
__________________
2002 GS1150 ADV
Hepco Becker bags
Piaa 959 & 910

NRA life


"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #80
42
Bokononist
 
42's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Oddometer: 17,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan View Post
Best Hockey movie ever.
And the only time I have ever watched Hockey.
__________________
Every Goddamned day.
42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #81
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
Why doesn't fighting like this occur in basketball or football?

Serious? There aren't fights in the NFL? Care to check how many players were ejected last season for throwing punches?

Care to check how many bench clearing brawls there have been in Major League Baseball?

Did you know the MLB is the only sport for which leaving the bench in order to engage in a brawl is not penalized?

More to the point, we're carrying around a carbon fibre club. Much rather be squared off with then slashed or run from behind.

I think what you meant to ask is: why is fighting still allowed in the NHL. Well, it's not. It's a penalty, a 5 minute major. And it can lead to a game misconduct. A better question is: Why isn't fighting an immediate ejection? See the reasons above.

Why is fighting allowed in boxing? It may seem like a strange question prima facie but it really isn't. If you grow up with the game than you know fighting is part of the deal. You learn the rules, the gentlemanly rules and the game rules and abide by them. You learn to know when it's comin' and when coach has sent you out there to get something done.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #82
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
Fighting is not permitted in professional team sports, which is to say hockey is not a professional sport. It desperately wants so pretend it is, but it isn't.

Every rush up the ice in hockey involves multiple interference penalties that would be whistled fouls in basketball or in football past five yards off the line. It's no wonder so few people take it seriously relatively speaking on a larger scale.

This goes down as one of the single silliest posts in the history of JM.

And poorly informed and so backwards as to be regarded as nothing but an obvious troll. You must fit in really well up there.

Ignored.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 01:24 PM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #83
snoid
100% Okie
 
snoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: beaver river sandflats, texas county.
Oddometer: 28,567
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Best Hockey movie ever.
And the only time I have ever watched Hockey.
while i love that movie, i liked 'goon' just as much.
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #84
waveydavey
happy times!!
 
waveydavey's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Pulling dragons from the ground again
Oddometer: 9,381
Laugh

Korean professional baseball fights are especially disturbing.

__________________
"...once the honey was gone he wandered off, farting and too soon satisfied."



FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #85
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
I like hockey, but think the fights are stupid. They're mostly done for show today, to get the crowds amped it it seems. I'd much rather see fast end to end play with few interruptions because of cheap shots that force the ref to call something.
It can change the entire dynamic of the game, a fight. Just like a good, clean, high speed check. It's a physical, violent game moving at incredible speed. Some people aren't going to like it. Which is fine. Look Euro football, it's a game one has to learn to appreciate.

Cheap shots are the exact reason why there are fights. Too much speed, too much going on to have the ref see everything. If you're going to be dirty, be ready to go.

I'll show the tooth I'm missing because I was butt-ended in the mouth on the puck and not one of the refs saw it. The fellow who did it was laughing on the bench afterward. But I had wait for him to come back on the ice. Finally, after 6 minutes of breathing ice cold razor blade ice rink air across an open nerve, he came back on the ice.


Here's your awesome.

A signed poster of two of the best, and let's not forget that while he was setting records for fighting, Dave Schultz was a 20 goal scorer and Stanley Cup Winner. Twice.



PS:
You can buy wax with some sort of anesthetic in it from the druggist to cover up that open nerve until your dentist opens.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 01:39 PM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #86
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller
 
bigsnowdog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Serious? There aren't fights in the NFL? Care to check how many players were ejected last season for throwing punches?

Care to check how many bench clearing brawls there have been in Major League Baseball?

Did you know the MLB is the only sport for which leaving the bench in order to engage in a brawl is not penalized?

More to the point, we're carrying around a carbon fibre club. Much rather be squared off with then slashed or run from behind.

I think what you meant to ask is: why is fighting still allowed in the NHL. Well, it's not. It's a penalty, a 5 minute major. And it can lead to a game misconduct. A better question is: Why isn't fighting an immediate ejection? See the reasons above.

Why is fighting allowed in boxing? It may seem like a strange question prima facie but it really isn't. If you grow up with the game than you know fighting is part of the deal. You learn the rules, the gentlemanly rules and the game rules and abide by them. You learn to know when it's comin' and when coach has sent you out there to get something done.
It's apparent from some hockey fans that fighting is celebrated. Apparently you are one. There may be some violations in pro football or basketball, but nothing like hockey, and spectators of those sports don't celebrate the violations.

Post 10815 makes it clear that you celebrate and encourage the fighting.
__________________
2002 GS1150 ADV
Hepco Becker bags
Piaa 959 & 910

NRA life


"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #87
snoid
100% Okie
 
snoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: beaver river sandflats, texas county.
Oddometer: 28,567
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
It's apparent from some hockey fans that fighting is celebrated. Apparently you are one. There may be some violations in pro football or basketball, but nothing like hockey, and spectators of those sports don't celebrate the violations.

Post 10815 makes it clear that you celebrate and encourage the fighting.

how do you feel about amateur and professional boxing? MMA?
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #88
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VO1MX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: North Bedeque
Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post


Is that flask empty?
__________________
Dan

VO1MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #89
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer
 
Thraan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bayview Village
Oddometer: 29,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
It's apparent from some hockey fans that fighting is celebrated. Apparently you are one. There may be some violations in pro football or basketball, but nothing like hockey, and spectators of those sports don't celebrate the violations.

Post 10815 makes it clear that you celebrate and encourage the fighting.

Bullshit they don't. Fans cheer the bench clearing baseball slap fights, just the same as they cheer fights on the gridiron or the hardwood.

Some people don't "get" sports, either specific sports or in general. Nothing wrong with that, just so long as they don't think their critiques of that which they don't understand are of value or importance.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Thraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #90
waveydavey
happy times!!
 
waveydavey's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Pulling dragons from the ground again
Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan View Post
Bullshit they don't. Fans cheer the bench clearing baseball slap fights, just the same as they cheer fights on the gridiron or the hardwood.

Some people don't "get" sports, either specific sports or in general. Nothing wrong with that, just so long as they don't think their critiques of that which they don't understand are of value or importance.
good luck with that...
__________________
"...once the honey was gone he wandered off, farting and too soon satisfied."



FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014