Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #31
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,002
Laugh photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
This is one that I'm gonna have to turn right around and go back to the beginning again! The photos are very unique and most are ones that I've never seen before. Really a cool RR......

Gary "Oldone"
Just wait until my llama fixation photos start showing...

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #32
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Cusco

Cusco is a city with the most incredible history, evident even where the walls are crumbling

One of my favourite signs on this trip

Sotheby's selling in the Peruvian Highlands??

Processions are everywhere

Even coming out of the Irish pub

Random images from Cusco

Doesn't it put you off your bacon?

The group strike a pose

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #33
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Life in Cusco

There's a lot to do in Cusco,

shopping is a bit different from home

And then in the evenings there's often more choice, I was pleased to see Mama Africa's was still going strong (notorious Cusco night spot) though looking at other venues, a night like the one promised on this poster maybe takes a braver person than me

A United Nations of bars and restaurants are on offer, obviously as a bike traveller there's ony one place I CAN go and drink...

Norton Rats Tavern

Unfortunately Jeff was away (he's creating an incredible venue for bike travellers in the north of Peru) but his wife and the staff made us welcome, it's been quite a few years since my last visit so to catch up I browsed through the Visitors' Book, I came across a veritable Who's Who in the World of bike travellers, amongst them, Lois Pryce's entry. I remember that date whilst she was in the Bar I was on the other side of the continent in Brazil

Friends' stickers cover the door- and here is Savas's sticker- the guy I met in LA and two days later was crossing Mexico with him on his KLR, having put it in my name at the DMV (long story involving the police but nothing illegal) and on a purely friends basis.

Dining options are numerous, I was disappointed to discover that the Hare Krishna Govinda restaurant wasn't there any more, but luckily managed to track it down on another side street- one of the very few veggie restaurants outside of the major cities. While I tucked into tofu and veggies, my group were elsewhere enjoying delicacies such as this dish... guinea pig legs

Tempting though life in Cusco is, time to move on, the mountains and my bike are calling to me

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
I remember Sao Paulo, Brazil, traveling with a disco band and being 'treated' with platter after platter of every meat they exported. Good of ya with the vegetarian diet, Tiffany.

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #35
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 607
Great Ride Report,

Thank You
What make bags are on your GS's ?

The Llama, El Paca & Vicuna are all of the same family but live naturally at different elevations. The Llama the lowest elevation next the El Paca and then the Vicuna at the highest. This is also reflected in the fineness of their wool
Llama the roughest next the El Paca and then the Vicuna which has a high grade fine wool and makes expensive and beautiful sweaters.
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #36
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Bluhduh Baggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pceire32 View Post
Great Ride Report,

Thank You
What make bags are on your GS's ?

The Llama, El Paca & Vicuna are all of the same family but live naturally at different elevations. The Llama the lowest elevation next the El Paca and then the Vicuna at the highest. This is also reflected in the fineness of their wool
Llama the roughest next the El Paca and then the Vicuna which has a high grade fine wool and makes expensive and beautiful sweaters.
Glad you're enjoying the RR, and thanks for the info about the animals.
The cases are Hepco and Becker, they were the ones that came with the bikes, to be honest I wasn't over impressed with them, they made the bikes wider quite a bit. I have always used the BMW cases and so I'm perfectly happy with plastic cases. BMW cases are designed so that the widest part of the bike is the handlebars - which makes sense, if your front end can get through a gap then no problems with the back end.
However these H&B cases weren't like that and everyone had a scrape with them, just minor but still it makes for more tentative riding and much trickier to filter (lane split) in traffic.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #37
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Leaving Cusco

Dragging ourselves away from the myriad of delights that Cusco has to offer, we loaded up the bikes and headed off, the bridge to Pisac has been washed out so we took a different route which actually turned out to be even better.

I met these kids whilst on a minor track, they're guarding the sheep

Inevitably this happened...

tucking into some street food

But you're never alone for long when you eat in public in Peru

lots of smiles wherever we went

I got some plait tips from her friends

Guinea pigs enjoying the luxury of life in a maisonette

However, it's not a happy ending for them, their des res is actually located in the kitchen, rather handily placed right next to the cooker

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 02:21 PM Reason: wrong photo meaning my post made even less sense than usual!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #38
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Vallee Sagrado

The Sacred Valley (Valle Sagrado) covers a huge area with a lot of great riding possibilities, it's been a while since my last visit, but I can always find some good off-roading, this time though, I've got to ensure my group can handle it.

While they're not around I do a bit of scouting, using my usual system of camera on self-time mode, propped up on my helmet which is perched on a rock

Hmmm, problems with uploading my photos, very slow signal at the moment, back soon....

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #39
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking I thought I'd seen the last of the salt...

Checking out the gravel roads

In the distance I see something that looks like lots of bird shit on the mountainside

Naturally I go closer to check it out

it turns out to be a load of salt pans on the steep-sided mountain, apparently they've been collecting salt in this way for centuries since pre-Inca times

A mineral-laden spring comes out of the mountain and the locals have directed the flow over a series of terraced salt pans, as each pan dries out the salt residue is left and they scrape it up.

I now decide to get really close

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #40
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
love the rr....your the greatest
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #41
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking missed this one

just re-found this photo in a different folder, thought you might like it

To prove we were taking in some of the culture while in the historic city of Cusco, we dd some sight-seeing

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #42
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Story of a gridlock

Leaving the salt pans behind, I make my way up a steep gravel track, naturally it's narrow and naturally (as I'm in Peru) there are pick-up trucks and vans coming the opposite way at silly speeds and some are just parked. I hold my nerve and keep to the edge, trying to avoid looking down the vertiginous drop - safety barriers??

Still in the Sacred Valley, I make a few friends

Along the road, I spot some of my group having a picnic break whilst enjoying the view, I stop to see what I can scrounge from them

Enjoying the hairpin bends, I take several over my shoulder random shots with my camera, often just getting a picture of my plaits flying behind me and if I'm lucky a fellow rider in the background. this photo shocked me...

I think those are a couple of grey hairs I can see in my plaits

and then we hit gridlock, we went past the trucks and cars to find this at the front

We resign ourselves to a wait

the truck driver is very sweet, he manages to reverse a bit, and once there's a small gap, waves us through

smiles all round, we're through

Until we realise that a pillion passenger has gone walkabout...I wait with her partner, and unfortunately we're rapidly swallowed up by the gridlock again

After a while, I come up with Plan B, which is remove the cases, carry them through (it's literally only 200 metres) and we'll then be able to squeeze between a couple of trucks

leave the cases somewhere safe

and then of course, everything started to move and we were scurrying back to the bikes, and trying to retrieve the cases as the other traffic went past.

We managed it, as usual, lots of smiles from those around us - I could just imagine them thinking you can always rely on those mad foreigners to provide entertainment.

the reason there's so much gridlock in this obscure village is easy to explain, it's the last stop on the Sacred Valley Railway before getting to this place, which needs no explanation (but which deserves a post to itself)

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #43
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Thumb

Great pictures....I have enlarged the pic of your plaits and can't find a grey hair
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #44
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Thanks, but

No disrespect Paddy, but I think I'll get a second opinion...from my hairdresser

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #45
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb It's the big one

Possibly the most eagerly anticipated sight in South America- Lost City of the Incas...Macchu Pichu

We were staying in a village called Ollantaytambo, last train station on the track. We had an early morning start and wandered down to the station to see our train waiting

Peru Rail's finest

We had seats near the front and so had a great view

Sometimes, you don't always want a good view when you see this approaching and you know that it's a single track rail line...

There was seatside service

We got off the train, onto a bus, then climbed a hill, rounded the corner...

and there it was

It's been quite a few years since I last made it here - that was on foot after five days of walking and camping on my own. (Hmm, maybe I should see if I can find one of my old photos from that trip and scan it to reproduce here)

this time, I've got the group with me and things have been smartened up a bit.

My Dad upon seeing this next picture, enquired if I was in a Knobbly Knee Competition.

Lots of stone walls...

Llamas have been introduced,

but were a bit over-friendly at times

this shot would make a great caption competition

There's a small tropical garden area, where we were lucky enough to spot a hummingbird

A final goodbye from us all as we left this incredible place

Tiffany's youtube video